Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dave
I got that so quickly because I looked at using him as a question a few days ago .

Try this one.

The British Empire only built 1 of this type of structure in Australia but did build well over 100 across the empire of which about 43 are still standing in England.

This structure was made of locally quarried sandstone and still exists to this day

Nearly 10 000 tonnes of sandstone was used in its construction.

Construction began in the early 1840s and was completed by 1858

It is about 40 feet tall, with wall thickness of around 8 feet.

Its roof is of sandstone construction and is held in place by a keystone.

The British pinched the design from the French

Many people pass by this structure everyday on their way to or from work and dont give it another thought

What type of construction? What is it known as? And where is it located?

Gday Dave,
Yes you have 2 of the 3 parts. Fort Dension in Sydney Harbour has the only example of a Martello tower ever built in Australia.

Fort Denison was built commissioned after an 2 American warships entered the harbour undetected and circled the island. the commander of the ships noted that he could have torched the ships at acnhor and decamped without being seen.

The Martello tower was the only one built in australia and the last one built by the British empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Denison

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martello_tower

Over to you Dave.

Cheers

Bob

17th December 1918, something happend in Australia. It is significant, more than most realise. Another piece of hidden Australian political history.
The son of one of the men became the 1st Territorian born Adminstrator, who is he?

Gilruth was the adminstrator at the time of the rebellion, but not the Territorian son to later become the Adminsistrator, that didnt happen untill the 1970, s.

I am a town in a state of Australia the first of all had a name change and then was wiped out by a natural
disaster that ranks as one of a rare occurrence.
I still survive today.
I am situated along a geological feature that is a boundary for a type of activity.

Hi Dave,
No. Jindy was moved higher because of a Dam build. The Church spire can be seen when the Dam level drops and it has a buoy attached.
opposite end of Australia. :)

OK , got it, but will leave it for someone else, as I have trouble thinking of a decent question!

Best place to hide some one else's problem is under their own door step. :D
Or a criminal will hide right beside a Police Station. :lol:
You never know.
That is not part of this challenge Cobber.

davent said:
Didnt think you would do a darwin on me!

Ok will keep fishin...

Rightio, Is this town the town rocked by an earthquake in 1968, formally known as Beebearing, now known as Meckering?
SW seismic zone is known as the Meckering line.

Latest posts