Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok Magilla you're right, maybe a bit too cryptic.

Cambodians believe that when a soldier dies bravely in battle, death comes not as the Grim Reaper, but in the form of a laughing and beautiful woman. My friends and colleagues always said of me, ''If death is a lady, then he probably knows her".

The Peackeeper

Sorry mate don't like this sort of stuff. Cryptic is good if used in the spirit of this thread. :)
IMHO
GT

All within the spirit of the game GT, just trying to make it a bit more challenging in light of what you said about you folks doing this game for years.

So, here's a bit more:

I'm an Australian who was a professional athlete and Australian Rules player and I continued to coach after my main occupation and career took me away from Australia.

I was the youngest of four children, three boys and a girl and grew up in the last years of the Depression and, Word War Two.

I was conscripted for compulsory military service but contracted polio. The short verse, Sound, sound the clarion, fill the fife..etc, is synonymous with my name and summed up my philosophy.

The Peacekeeper

On the 30th April 1975, I was in Saigon, very soon to known as Ho Chi Min City. After crashing through the front gates of Independence Palace and rolling up onto the

front lawns, a Viet Cong soldier jumped from the front of tank No. 843 and challenged me. Worrying more for my life rather than over any political bias I said to the

soldier who was screaming at me, "Welcome to Saigon, comrade. I've been waiting for you!" The fact that I was an Australian probably saved my life.

The Peacekeeper

After the fall of South Vietnam to the communist North, I stayed on in Saigon for about a month but with the Communist Government now controlled what journalists were permitted to report, I decided it was time to leave.

I then moved to Bangkok, Thailand where I could keep an eye on the Cambodian situation as well as being able to instantly epart for major news stories as they broke in Asia, Africa and the Middle East.

In June 1981, I was in the Middle East as Syria and Israel were on the brink of war. But when Israeli jets attacked a nuclear reactor near Baghdad, I was subsequently arrested and imprisoned by Iraqi authorities on suspicion of being an Israeli spy. I went on a hunger strike for a week, was interrogated and placed in solitary confinement but, after eight days was released upon the intervention of US State Department and UN Secretary General Kurt Waldheim.

Sorry Reefer, not Pat Bugess but you are very much on the right track.

More clues;

On the 29th January 1977, after being a confirmed notorious ladies man and leading a free-wheeling life style my whole life, I was married in Taiwan to Taiwanese woman. We did not have any children and without animosity, separated in January 1980 but stayed in touch and met from time to time but never divorced.

The pattern of my life never changed. I would return from assignments and relax in the bars and night clubs of Bangkok's notorious Patpong Road and made preposterous sporting bets with other journalists and won considerable amounts of money that I soon gave away to friends, refugees, schools and orphanages in Vietnam Thailand and Cambodia.

My very last assignment was in Bangkok on Monday 9 September 1985 as I was about to depart Thailand for a holiday.

The Peacekeeper

Backcreek, full marks.

Neil Brian Davis, combat cameraman 1934 - 1985.

In Bangkok on Monday 9 September 1985 yet another military coup d'tat, relatively bloodless affairs in Thailand, ironically delivered Neil Davis to his appointment with a visceral, brutal death. As Davis, Bill Latch (journalist), Gary Burns (cameraman) and his Thai sound recorder Daeng Kariah tried to take cover from tank canon and machine gun fire behind a telephone junction box outside an army radio station on Phitsanuloke Rd, BK, as tanks and Thai rebel soldiers layed siege to the Government building.

His death was spectacular yet futile. Davis filmed the action as ordinance rained over their heads, the shells and rounds crashing into gates and the building, the ground shuddered beneath them as shrapnel screamed demented howls of death. The machine guns hammered out Davis'and Latch's last hasty orison.

Neil Davis' death certificate read: Laceration of the heart, lungs, spleen, kidney and blood vessels in the stomach causing excessive blood loss. Burns heard Neil's last words, "Oh...shit". As Gary Burns tried to drag Neil away from the gunfire, his side frightfully opened, his organs and blood spilled out onto the hot pavement, he had been virtually split in two by shrapnel.

Davis lived large and lead a tremendous life but died an inglorious death. But he had certainly lived up to his motto and lived his philosophy,'....One crowded hour of glorious life Is worth an age without a name'. Mordaunt, T. (1765-1763).

The Peacekeeper.

My Go.

This event was at the time the biggest of it's type ever and as far as I can tell still holds the record.
It was not widely know of until quite a while after it happened.

Latest posts