Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank Leechman's The Opal Book (1961) gives an explanation of how Lightning Ridge got its name. He tells how one night a shepherd, his dog and a large mob of sheep were sheltering among the trees on the ridge from a wild storm. Suddenly, a mighty bolt of lightning struck right in the middle of the flock, killing over 200 sheep, the others scattering in terror.

Sorry Ramjet, pipped ya by a minute :|

Here's a music one, just to be different.

Which Australian band got its name from a sign on the way to a gig in Geelong?

Au

In 1838 it was declared illegal to swim at public Australian beaches during the day! ... time as it was illegal to swim in the surf during daylight hours before 1902.

the duck said:
little river band

Yep, well done duck. Back in the late 70's I went to Little River Primary School. One day LRB came to visit and we told them they stole our school band's name as we were already the Little River band.

We settled it by saying we would change our name to the Little River Primary School Band if they played us a few songs, which they did. :) And the rest as they say, is history.

Au

The NSW town of Arthur changed its name in 1988 , but what name was it unofficially called & what name did it change to ?

The village is said to have received its name from a prospector who had a particularly large nose, and was given the nickname Trunkey. Although the village had received the official name of Arthur, the creek that the prospector was working on became known at Trunkey's Creek and the village although officially called Arthur was referred to as Trunkey Creek until it changed its name in 1988.

Close but not quite right
Stan Awramik found fossils of 3.5 billion year old Stromatolites in the Kimberly.
At Shark Bay LIVING examples of this ancient life form were found.
How amazing is Australia.
Stromatolites are rather like corals in that all of their life is on the surface and that most of what you are looking at is the dead mass of earlier generations. If you peer, you can sometimes see tiny bubbles of oxygen rising in streams from the formations. This is the stromatolites only trick and it isnt much, but it is what made life as we know it possible. The bubbles are produced by primitive algaelike microorganisms called cyanobacteria, which live on the surface of the rocksabout 3 billion of them to the square yard, to save you countingeach of them capturing a molecule of carbon dioxide and a tiny beat of energy from the sun and combining them to fuel its unimaginably modest ambitions to exist, to live. The by-product of this very simple process is the faintest puff of oxygen. But get enough stromatolites respiring away over a long enough period, and you can change the world. For 2 billion years this is all the life there was on earth, but in that time the stromatolites raised the oxygen level in the atmosphere to 20 percentenough to allow the development of other, more complex life-forms: me, for instance. My gratitude was real

That is amazing , RR .
These questions are not about who wins, we all win ,learning the questions as we find the answers

Your turn again

headbut17 said:
That is amazing , RR .
These questions are not about who wins, we all win ,learning the questions as we find the answers

Actually trying to find a question to stump you all with is my hunt :)

Back with one shortly

PS almost all my recent Qs (apart from the poems) have been from Bill Bryson 's Downunder .
If you haven't read it yet I highly recommend

Latest posts