Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too easy apparently
your turn HB

AUSTRALIANA
Austen Tayshus

Sittin' at home last Sunday mornin' me mate Boomerrang
Said he was havin' a few people around for a barbie,
Said he might Kookaburra or two.
I said, "Sounds great, will Wallaby there?"
He said "Yeah and Vegemite come too".
So I said to the wife "Do you wanna Goanna?".
She said "I'll go if Dingos".
So I said "Wattle we do about Nulla?"
He said "Nullabors me to tears, leave him at home."

We got to the party about two and walked straight out the kitchen to put some booze in the fridge.
And you wouldn't believe it, there's Boomer's wife Warra sittin there tryin' to Platypus!
Now, I don't like to speak Illawarra, but I was shocked, I mean how much can a Koala bear?
So I grabbed a beer, flashed me Wangarratta and went out to join the party.

Pretty soon Ayers Rocks in and things really started jumpin'.
This Indian girl, Marsu, turns up, dying to go to the toilet but she couldn't find it.
I said to me mate Al, "Hey, where can Marsupial?"
He said "She can go outback with the fellas, she's probably seen a cockatoo".

Well just then Warra comes out of the kitchen with a few drinks for everybody.
Fair dinkum, you've never seen a Coolabah maid.
I grabbed a beer and said "Thanks Warra - tah".

A couple of Queensland at the party, one smellin' pretty strongly of aftershave.
One of 'em sat down next to me and I turned to him and I said, "Ya know mate, Eureka Stockade!"

It was a really hot day; Oscar felt like a swim.
He said to Ina, "Do you want a have a dip in the Riverina?"
She said "I haven't got my Kosiosko".
Well Bo says, "Come in starkers, Wattle they care!"
Ina says "What, without so much as a Thredbo?"
Ah, Perisher thought!
Has Eucumbine in yet?

Well a few of the blokes decided to play some cricket.
Boomer says "Why doesn't Wombat?"
"Yeah, and let Tenterfield".
And he said I should have a bowl but I was too out of it to play cricket so I suggested a game of cards.
I said to Lyptus "Wanna game of Eucalyptus?"
He said "There's no point mate, Darwins everytime."

Well Bill said he'd like a smoke.
Nobody knew where the dope was stashed.
I said "I think Merinos." But I was just spinning a bit of a yarn.
Barry pulls a joint out of his pocket.
Bill says "Great, Barrier Reefer, what is it mate?"
"Noosa Heads of course. Me mate Adelaide 'em on me."
And it was a great joint too, Blue Mountains away and his Three Sisters.
Well I thought I'd roll one meself, I said "Chuck us the Tally Hobart".
He said "They're out on the Laun, Ceston, can you get em for us?"
Burnie says "Its okay mate, she's apples, I'll get em for ya"
Just then Alice Springs into action, starts to pack Billabong.
And you wouldn't believe it, the bongs broken. I said "Lord Howe!"
"Hay-man" somebody says "Will a Didgeridoo?"
I said "Hummmmm mummmm mummmmm mummmmm maybe it'll have ta."

I look in the corner and there's Bass sittin there, not getting into it, not getting out of it,
I said "What, is Bass Strait or somthin?"
Boomer says "As a matter a fact mate, he's a cop" I said "Ya jokin mate, a cop,
I'm getting outta here, lets Goanna." She said "No way, I'm hangin round till Gum leaves.
Besides, I dont wanna leave Jacardanda party on his own.
Have you seen him? I think he's trying to crack on Toowoomba,
He's already tried to Mount Isa And he'll definitely try to lead you Australiana!"

2 answers

ruby is a pink to blood-red colored gemstone, a variety of the mineral corundum (aluminium oxide). The red color is caused mainly by the presence of the element chromium.

The best green Tourmaline ever found comes from Tanzania, Africa. It naturally contains Chromium (or Vanadium),

My guess would be because of the different rail guage in each state.

In 1847, South Australia adopts the 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 12 in) gauge. [1]

In 1848 NSW Governor Charles Fitzroy was advised by Secretary of State for the Colonies in London, Earl Grey, that one uniform gauge should be adopted in Australia, this being the English standard 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm) gauge. The recommendation was adopted by the then three colonies.[2][3]

At that time the private Sydney Railway Company had begun building its railway line to Parramatta. The chief engineer of the company was Irish-born Francis Webb Sheilds,[4] who persuaded the company and the NSW legislature to change to the Irish standard gauge of 5 ft 3 in (1,600 mm) instead. This decision was endorsed by the NSW Governor, and Colonial Secretary Earl Grey in London agreed in 1851.[5] The other colonies also adopted this gauge (Victoria having separated from New South Wales in 1851), with the Melbourne and Hobson's Bay Railway Company opening a 5 ft 3 in (1,600 mm) ("broad gauge") line in 1854, and South Australia using the 5 ft 3 in (1,600 mm) broad gauge on its first steam-hauled railway in 1856.

However, Sheilds had resigned as engineer for the Sydney Railway Company when his pay was cut and the company appointed a new Scottish engineer, James Wallace, who preferred the English standard gauge. The NSW legislature was persuaded to make the change. Despite a request by the Secretary of State for the Colonies to reconsider this alteration, the NSW Governor William Denison gave the go-ahead in 1855, with the 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm) Sydney to Parramatta railway opening in September 1855.[6][7]

As early as 1857, the NSW railway engineer John Whitton suggested that the short railway then operating in New South Wales be altered from 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm) gauge to 5 ft 3 in (1,600 mm) to conform with Victoria, but despite being supported by the NSW Railway Administration, he was ignored.[8] At that time there was only 21 miles (37 km) of track, 4 engines and assorted cars and wagons on the railway, but by 1889, New South Wales under engineer Whitton had built almost 1,950 miles (3,500 km) of standard gauge line.[6]

The 3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm) "narrow" gauge was introduced to Australia in 1865, when Queensland opened its first railway from Ipswich to Grandchester. South Australia also adopted this gauge in 1870 with its lines to Port Wakefield, Hoyleton, Broken Hill and Oodnadatta. Western Australia adopted it in 1879 with its lines from Geraldton to Northampton.[6]

Correct Dog
Apparently the engineers employed by each colony came from different countries.
They each pushed their home country gauge as the best.
That and rivalry between the colonies is the reason.

Your turn

In 1801 Matthew Flinders suffered a painful humiliation prior to sailing the Investigator in his attempt to circumnavigate Australia.
What was this humiliation and why did it occur?

That's pretty close duck.

He had recently married his childhood sweetheart, Anne Chappell and he naturally wanted to take her on the voyage.
Such a course was by no means unusual at the time and he had every reason to suppose the Admiralty would agree to his request.
A precedent had been set by other Captains in the past. It was most probable therefore that Mrs Flinders would have been permitted
to accompany her husband but for an unhappy occurrence when the commissioners of the Admiralty paid an official visit of inspection
to the ship. There they came upon Mrs Flinders "seated in the Captain's cabin without her bonnet". This they considered "too open a
declaration of that being her home" and permission for her to go on the voyage was refused.

Flinders was as philosophical as he could be. "If their Lordships sentiments should continue the same," he wrote to Banks, "whatever may be my
disappointment, I shall give up the wife for the voyage of discovery" a very proper decision, although one hardly flattering to his lady. In the
event, they were not to meet again for many years.

Your turn.

What does. Merriwa,NSW ,Wool , & Alexander Graham Bell have in common?

In 1881, Alexander Graham Bell invented the first metal detector. As President James Garfield lay dying of an assassin's bullet, Alexander Graham Bell hurriedly invented a crude metal detector in an unsuccessful attempt to locate the fatal slug. Bell's metal detector was an electromagnetic device he called the induction balance.

Latest posts