Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulation Smithy, you got it.

The 9th hole of Parry's golf course was over my parents back fence.

In 1943 the Estate was sold to the Honorable Stanley E. Parry C.B.E., Mayor of Canterbury from 1932-1947 and a member of the Legislative Council. He envisaged turning the Estate into a Municipal Golf Course and handed the property to Canterbury Council to grow vegetables under a contract with the Commonwealth Government, until wartime building restrictions were lifted. Meantime, he lived in Belmore House.
Canterbury Council could not agree on forming a Municipal Golf Club, so in 1944 an assemblage of people met and formed Roselands Golf Club. Sometime later he built a new home and Belmore House. Mr Parry supervised the layout of a 9 hole golf course. Belmore House was also extensively altered to become a very commodious Club House. The golf course was called Roselands in recognition of Pauline Fenwick's beautiful Rose Garden and was opened on 1 July, 1946.
Roselands Golf Course was extended to eighteen (18) holes and later a bowling club was added. Roselands Golf Course flourished for ten (10) years and as the value of the property increased, so did the rates and taxes. Mr Parry subdivided and built homes on part of the property and some of Sydney's large firms became interested in the remaining 31 acres of the estate. During 1958 Mr Parry finally accepted Grace Bros' offer.
Belmore House, then known as Roselands Golf Club, and Mr Parry's more modern home were both demolished to make way for the construction of Roselands Shopping Centre. Construction commenced on 9 June, 1964. It was the largest community centre in the southern hemisphere and was opened in 1965 at a then cost $15 million. The shopping centre was named after the Roselands golf course.

More info here:-http://www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au/www/html/872-history-of-roselands.asp

Your turn.

Which Racehorse bred in NZ and won the Melbourne cup in the late seventies who's name was the reverse spelling of a town in Nsw from were he was trained
Cheers
Thesmithy

Arwon, 1978

Arwon (foaled 8 September 1973, died 25 May 2007) was a New Zealand bred Thoroughbred racehorse, by Aritzo from Fair Flash, who won the 1978 Melbourne Cup at 5 years of age.[1]
In New Zealand he was known, and raced as Flash Guy.[2] Arwon won the 1978 Melbourne Cup beating Dandeleith and Karu by a half neck. He would run in two more Melbourne Cups finishing ninth in 1980 to Beldale Ball and fifth in 1981 to Just A Dash.[3]
The name 'Arwon,' was made from reversing the word Nowra, a town in New South Wales where one of the syndicate that owned him lived.[1]
Arwon was initially trained by John Morrissey in Canberra before being sent to Victorian trainer George Hanlon who prepared him for his Melbourne Cup victory, where he was ridden by jockey Harry White.[1] He also won the 1980 Group 2 VATC Sandown Cup, now known as the Sandown Classic race of 2,400 m and the 1978 VATC Herbert Power Handicap also run over 2,400 m.[4] Arwon started in 67 races, won 16, was second 13 times and third five times.[3]
Arwon was also the Melbourne Cup's oldest living winner until he was euthanized in May 2007, at the age of 33.
Until two years before his death, he took part in the annual Melbourne Cup Parade down Swanston Street, held on Cup Eve (Monday).[3]

Au

Governor Phillip King who was prompted by Lord Hobart to import brewing materials to try and stem the rum currency in the early colony.

Lord Hobart wrote to Governor Philip King on 29 August 1802 stating:

"The introduction of beer into general use among the inhabitants would certainly lessen the consumption of spirituous liquors. I have therefore in conformity with your suggestion taken measures for furnishing the colony with a supply of ten tons of Porter, six bags of hops, and two complete sets of brewing materials."

backcreek said:
Congratulation Smithy, you got it.

The 9th hole of Parry's golf course was over my parents back fence.

In 1943 the Estate was sold to the Honorable Stanley E. Parry C.B.E., Mayor of Canterbury from 1932-1947 and a member of the Legislative Council. He envisaged turning the Estate into a Municipal Golf Course and handed the property to Canterbury Council to grow vegetables under a contract with the Commonwealth Government, until wartime building restrictions were lifted. Meantime, he lived in Belmore House.
Canterbury Council could not agree on forming a Municipal Golf Club, so in 1944 an assemblage of people met and formed Roselands Golf Club. Sometime later he built a new home and Belmore House. Mr Parry supervised the layout of a 9 hole golf course. Belmore House was also extensively altered to become a very commodious Club House. The golf course was called Roselands in recognition of Pauline Fenwick's beautiful Rose Garden and was opened on 1 July, 1946.
Roselands Golf Course was extended to eighteen (18) holes and later a bowling club was added. Roselands Golf Course flourished for ten (10) years and as the value of the property increased, so did the rates and taxes. Mr Parry subdivided and built homes on part of the property and some of Sydney's large firms became interested in the remaining 31 acres of the estate. During 1958 Mr Parry finally accepted Grace Bros' offer.
Belmore House, then known as Roselands Golf Club, and Mr Parry's more modern home were both demolished to make way for the construction of Roselands Shopping Centre. Construction commenced on 9 June, 1964. It was the largest community centre in the southern hemisphere and was opened in 1965 at a then cost $15 million. The shopping centre was named after the Roselands golf course.

More info here:-http://www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au/www/html/872-history-of-roselands.asp

Your turn.

We must have grown up close to each other Mick and Headbut17. I grew up just down the hill off Payten Ave. Roselands was my corner store.
Do you remember the Fire?
I was a Punchbowl primary and then Narwee Boys High student

Cheers Ric

Hay Ric,
Small world Hay.
Yes I remember the fire! My brother and I stood on our back veranda and watched the whole thing happen. Very scary.
Pm sent.

Cheers
Mick

backcreek said:
Governor Phillip King who was prompted by Lord Hobart to import brewing materials to try and stem the rum currency in the early colony.

Lord Hobart wrote to Governor Philip King on 29 August 1802 stating:

"The introduction of beer into general use among the inhabitants would certainly lessen the consumption of spirituous liquors. I have therefore in conformity with your suggestion taken measures for furnishing the colony with a supply of ten tons of Porter, six bags of hops, and two complete sets of brewing materials."

Well done Mick, your go :)

Au

Ok,
Which V.C. recipient was one of only three participants to win all 40 boxes on the BP pick-a-box television show in the 60's and what actions were responsible for the awarding of his V.C.

Cheers
Mick

Frank Partridge was the last and youngest Australian to be awarded the VC in World War II. He and Corporal Reg Rattey were the only Militia personnel to win it and they received the only VCs awarded to Australians for actions on Bougainville.

Latest posts