Australia Post

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't worry me paying extra if i know my work will arrive when they say it will. It's when they take your money and don't deliver that it really ticks me off. Yeah, i don't know what's going on but it's getting worse and when you say something to them they just shrug their shoulders and say sorry, or try to sell you their 'guaranteed, priority to get there service'. :lol:

And what about insurance coverage. I can be sending artwork that's taken me weeks to complete and i think the most they cover for is about $200? That doesn't cover for a few hours work, let alone redoing one off pieces that are almost impossible to replicate.

Australia Post now use Star Track for a lot of their deliveries. While I cant fault the Star Track drivers, the company as a whole comes across as useless (this is coming from a few of their drivers). I get shipments nearly every day so I get to hear the drivers grumbles. It seems the depot staff are hopeless. Stuff gets placed in the wrong bins etc.

Overnight stuff - Star Track - now takes 2 days - Geelong is now considered too far from the metro area so it waits a day in Melb. Overnight AustPost is still overnight.

Road freight from Sydney - these are bigger items like lcd/plasma panels etc - can take any where from 3 days to a week (depending what depot staff are on holidays).

Australia Post used to be good but now they contract the work out to the bigger boys instead of the smaller local contractors, stuff takes forever.

i buy motorcycle parts from japan and send a parcel to Tassie now and again to a mate, was paying express post and still taking 3 days!, they wont tell you that some places don't get express post but they still take your money for it.

EMS overseas post is great, I ordered some parts last Monday from japan and they sent them Friday and I received them yesterday! :).......yes yesterday.

Funny Aust post hires sub contractors from a guy in Melbourne who got arrested for scamming students from India Bangladesh and Pakistan.
He had a company that was supposed to be a trade school or somthing and he also has another company that was a labour hire contractor. Doin a 7/11..
than Remember when Aust post announced all the employee lay offs not long back funny thing is the CEO last year was given a 2 million dollar bonus for running the company ??? yet we keep hearing how they cant make money so the price of stamps and other services need to be increased..
Too much incompetence and too much money to be made theough corruption and scams and we pay for it .
?

Wow, that is terrible! I've had guitars/amps arrive from the US to Adelaide in 3 days regular post!

I was put onto this mob and have used them since for just about everything big/small as I used to buy/sell a lot of guitar related gear. They're pretty much a third party that allow you to access couriers that otherwise would require an account and surprisingly affordable. I always selected TNT as my courier and all deliveries have been within a couple of days all over Oz. Tracked as well and door to door (this can have its drawbacks).

Just double check insurance and what item you are sending, some of it isn't covered.

https://www.interparcel.com.au/

nucopia......yeah that is the type of thing i was alluding to in my post above yours....damned disgraceful (not to mention the nepotism of "employing" family members into positions as well).

Gypsy

Billy said:
An interesting article from a few months ago:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/australia-post-slashing-jobs--reports-20150625-ghy759.html

Doesn't look like its going to get any better, any time soon.

:(

Billy.

Can ANYONE please explain this text from the copy of that link please???;

"after the government-owned business said it will spend up to $190 million slashing almost 2000 jobs in response to a diving volume of letters.

HOW in the heck does it COST? money when ya SACKING people for crying out loud....is that because he's gonna only put his relatives on staff and pay them the OVERTIME to make up for all the JOB CUTS???? Why not use those funds to readjust the Business Model to be more efficient...and he can take a PAY CUT until such time as HIS PERFORMANCE derives better PRODUCTIVITY!!!

A $190,000,000.00 folks...on top of the Billions of operational losses. My god he needs SACKING IMMEDIATELY.

All this from a Liberal Appointment of course....yet more pigs in the trough SYNDROME.

Gypsy

SENDING EXPRESS POST TO A RURAL AREA OR FROM A RURAL AREA IS A WASTE OF MONEY AS IT WILL NEVER GET TO THE DESTINATION THE NEXT DAY. Better and cheaper to send in a prepaid satchel bag and the item will get there same time as express post.

Uncle Bob said:
SENDING EXPRESS POST TO A RURAL AREA OR FROM A RURAL AREA IS A WASTE OF MONEY AS IT WILL NEVER GET TO THE DESTINATION THE NEXT DAY.

Or even make it's destination at all.

I know someone who sent lots of minerals through the mail on multiple occasions and packages disappeared off the face of the earth.

If you send from certain locations that are mineral rich then you can expect parcels to go missing.

Uncle Bob said:
. Better and cheaper to send in a prepaid satchel bag and the item will get there same time as express post.

Yup..see above. It will still take 5 days to travel 3hrs. Go figure. That's why i'm glad "Standard" post now provides "Tracking #'s", i can save a few bucks, parcel gets there the same time as "Express" and i can "haha Track" it's (lack of) progress.

Well someone musta been reading this lol....i now have to eat crow (partially).

I just finished purchasing an item from a member here who is in Melb. suburbs and sent it Express Post.

Funny thing is, initially after receiving the "Tracking #" from the member i couldn't get an update of status of the parcel late last night (up to 02:00am this morning). Member said he would chase it up (he was out at the time) and confirm the details to me. Well, i ended up going to bed and woke to a message this morning from the member.

I checked the Post site to check again of the status and lo & behold, it's at the local P.O. awaiting delivery (pickup). Lmao....

In this instance the "Tracking #" served no purpose at all other than to inform 2x things.

A./ It had arrived at the local PO. and;
B./ It was available for pickup.

That's it. No initial received into service from the sending PO, no interchange depot advice, no "In Transit" updates...well fug me.

So...one out of three (3) recent transactions has a good result. Maybe MT being in charge has made them pull their socks up?

Naaaahhh, just good luck for once haha. Now i can get back out there and chase the color (well..tomorrow, it's raining here now grrrr).

Cheers
Gypsy

I sweating on a delivery myself. Tracking says processed through chullora 6.10 tues morning, so I expected delivery today, as Sydney to Newcastle should be overnite. But it didnt arrive today.

no doubt the box will sit, and wait its turn to be moved along. There's nothing to do, but wait with crossed fingers!

Sandta said:
Sometimes i get stuff from overseas ... Postage is often cheaper than i can send the same package domestic. :mad: how much sense does that make?

Not from USA or other places...

One of out political people did a deal with postage a few years ago - can not recall who or which party...

A: Try and send a post to a local and do not apply the right postage stamps etc.... One of you will have to pay, before you get the item.

B: If an item comes from China (Special trade customer), HK etc then AU Post can not refuse to carry it... If the postage charge is not correct.

Thus an item that may not meet the requirements of a letter will cost $7.45 if posted within Australia. But the same item can be sent from china for less than $1 and Au post is contractually required to delver it as it is a FEDERAL requirement.

So yes... I hate paying $7.45 to send a $0.45 item... But Au has to try to recover the costs of supporting our trade partners :)

And it will not get any better...

I recently sent a remote control to a customer in an envelope, stuck a load of stamps on it and put in postbox. About a week later I get an invoice from Australia Post - was 10c short on postage.

Invoice was for $7 or $8 but at least the customer received the package before I paid it. Lesson: always send small packages over counter at AusPost or use a courier.

GypsyGoldAu said:
Billy said:
An interesting article from a few months ago:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/australia-post-slashing-jobs--reports-20150625-ghy759.html

Doesn't look like its going to get any better, any time soon.

:(

Billy.

Can ANYONE please explain this text from the copy of that link please???;

"after the government-owned business said it will spend up to $190 million slashing almost 2000 jobs in response to a diving volume of letters.

HOW in the heck does it COST? money when ya SACKING people for crying out loud....is that because he's gonna only put his relatives on staff and pay them the OVERTIME to make up for all the JOB CUTS???? Why not use those funds to readjust the Business Model to be more efficient...and he can take a PAY CUT until such time as HIS PERFORMANCE derives better PRODUCTIVITY!!!

A $190,000,000.00 folks...on top of the Billions of operational losses. My god he needs SACKING IMMEDIATELY.

All this from a Liberal Appointment of course....yet more pigs in the trough SYNDROME.

Gypsy

Probably find they are going to pay out people to leave ie $2000/year of service plus a lump sum or something to that effect.

I don't quite understand how businesses that are struggling/aren't making money (think Holden) can afford to pay redundancies.

Latest posts