Amplifier/speaker/signal booster information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The in-built amp in the GPX's is very good. It is extremely clean sounding, with no extra hiss/noise/distortion added. With a properly wired GME speaker, there is plenty of volume. I shouldn't be saying this as I sell the B&Z's, but hey it's my honest opinion.

However, where you may want to add an external booster is if you want to run a dual speaker set-up. Gives you a bit of extra control, and having the bypass switch on the B&Z is handy.

Also over the years running GPX training days, if you get more than 3 people attending so everyone is spread out, and particularly on a windy day, I just couldn't get the speaker loud enough so everyone could comfortably hear what I was trying to demo. Cranking the GPX's Target Volume beyond 16 just makes the unit very "on edge" and touchy. So I quickly started using external boosters on training days. A Dual speaker with a B&Z works very nicely in this scenario. After the usual "gear interrogation" by some of the trainees, I often had trouble trying to convince them that I generally prefer headphones ;)

Agreed mate, can't go wrong with headphones. I opted for the amplifier/speaker just so I can hear my surroundings as well.

walshie1000 said:
Agreed mate, can't go wrong with headphones. I opted for the amplifier/speaker just so I can hear my surroundings as well.

Yes, I do the occasional night detect, and I will never wear headphones at night - definitely want to hear your surroundings.

Just a heads up with the LH-380. They dont like to be dropped :8 and the clip on them is crap.
had mine clipped to my front pocket but fell as i bent over and hit a large stone pretty hard.
It would technically work but had to put it in drive to hear anything at all.
Pulled it appart tonight hoping it was a easy fix like a loose wire but couldnt see what it could be. Possibly the speaker or volume control is stuffed. 8.(
But, my electrical skills aren't that flash so i may have to get a new one :(

I had the same thing mate. Kept coming off my harness. It went quiet and the audio response started to sound funny. It was great while it worked. Found quite a few bits with it. I've purchased a new better quality mini guitar amplifier as a replacement. Much more sturdy. Still 1/10th the price of the purpose built boosters which are the same thing/electronics. I'm all for supporting local product within reason however I'm not a big fan of getting ripped a new one.
I just prefer the extra volume these give over a standard speaker without external adjustment. I still don't think anything would be missed with the standard speaker I just like the extra volume.

Bugger - should have put it up before but the first thing I did with both of mine was stick some velcro on them - I have a velcro square on my harness. Doesn't look like coming off & in fact is a pain to get off when needed :lol:
walshie1000 said:
It went quiet and the audio response started to sound funny
Silly question but did you try a new battery - one of mine did this & I changed the battery out (cheap ass one I got with it only lasted one full day). Put in a new alkaline battery & it was good as new again. Have probably done 3 days since & the battery is still ok - no more funny sounds.

Hey Mbasko
I purchased 2 of the lh-380 about a month & a half ago, 1 did not work even on drive just gave a weird sound & the other just does not seem to have good volume, I have been a bit busy since & have not tried playing around with them, just wondering? the lead to connect the amp/speaker to the patch lead on the SDC is this just a standard Guitar lead???? as I used a short one my wife uses to tune her Guitar, was really hoping they would work like you described! but I guess I got a couple of Duds oh well they are cheap.
cheers
Lee

walshie1000 said:
I had the same thing mate. Kept coming off my harness. It went quiet and the audio response started to sound funny. It was great while it worked. Found quite a few bits with it. I've purchased a new better quality mini guitar amplifier as a replacement. Much more sturdy. Still 1/10th the price of the purpose built boosters which are the same thing/electronics. I'm all for supporting local product within reason however I'm not a big fan of getting ripped a new one.
I just prefer the extra volume these give over a standard speaker without external adjustment. I still don't think anything would be missed with the standard speaker I just like the extra volume.

Hey Walshie
Mate do you mind telling us a bit more about your new unit, price, link, make, how you rate it? please.
cheers
Lee

mbasko said:
Bugger - should have put it up before but the first thing I did with both of mine was stick some velcro on them - I have a velcro square on my harness. Doesn't look like coming off & in fact is a pain to get off when needed :lol:
walshie1000 said:
It went quiet and the audio response started to sound funny
Silly question but did you try a new battery - one of mine did this & I changed the battery out (cheap ass one I got with it only lasted one full day). Put in a new alkaline battery & it was good as new again. Have probably done 3 days since & the battery is still ok - no more funny sounds.

I had a brilliant idea to unscrew the clip and replace it with a larger metal one off an old tape measure.
Didnt get round to it 8.(

I certainly will do a bit of a review when it arrives bruke. I'll link you up when I get a chance. Was $26 and is modelled on a real guitar amp. I haven't even had a look at the 380 or tried a new battery. I will when I get a chance however I would need to turn it off and on sometimes as the audio would go quiet. I figured I would get something a little better with regards to durability.

rc62burke said:
Hey Mbasko
I purchased 2 of the lh-380 about a month & a half ago, 1 did not work even on drive just gave a weird sound & the other just does not seem to have good volume, I have been a bit busy since & have not tried playing around with them, just wondering? the lead to connect the amp/speaker to the patch lead on the SDC is this just a standard Guitar lead???? as I used a short one my wife uses to tune her Guitar, was really hoping they would work like you described! but I guess I got a couple of Duds oh well they are cheap.
cheers
Lee
Yep standard guitar patch lead. Both of mine work great & I know another bloke that got 2 & they both work well too? Even $10k detectors have the odd dud one :lol:

Ever done something so silly that it made you smack your face with your smartphone or keyboard?
Stuff it tygf3d54jgccbr
I broke my second lh380 speaker before i barely got to use it.
following with what i said before with putting a bigger clip on it. I found one at work and decided to try it.
However it needed a bigger screw.
the screw was just that little bit too long and the tip of the screw cut into the circuit board.
"BUGGA" :mad:
Then after a awful attempt to solder it the speaker was lucky enough to meet my angry side. I then introduced it to my friends. Concrete slab and his sidekick hammer.
Im not having alot of luck with these things.
8.(

I have just purchased the LH 380 amp, so waiting impatiently for it to arrive, so I can head to the GT to test it. I hope its not a dud, as my SDC is super quiet. LOL
Also ordered the patch lead from Phasetech.
Thanks for the ideas, anything to help save a few $$$ is a bonus.
Sheryl

Hi Walshie,that's a great ideas,I've been using a borrowed rooster booster,which has been great but now need to get my own ..I don't think they are around anymore ..So will definently have a think about the guitar amp..Thanks for the good ideas..Cheers

Hi Guys Zakman here. These amps are really great on the GPX 5000 and SDC 2300. I find the sound very clear and more sensitive than the rooster booster I can use head sets and control the tone on those windy days.

The battery last a good 3 days of detecting.

After testing the unit for 1 day I sold my rooster booster on Ebay.

Just ordered my second one so I have a spare.

The Zakman :)

Latest posts