Amplifier/speaker/signal booster information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baldy said:
The simple answer is turning up the volume in the machine also increases the effect from emi etc while boosting the signal outside the machine doesn't....Not convinced about that..I would think the balance of EMI and detector noise would be the same..When you turn down the volume of your detector you turn down both EMI and detector..and boosting from another amplified source would just turn them both up again in the same ratio to each other the Amplifier is not a EMI filter..

You are partially correct. Most boosters will lift all the levels but the advantage is they can lift faint signals higher than the machine is capable of doing. If you have your machine running reasonably quiet, faint deep targets are easily missed. So a booster will help in this situation.
Some boosters though also enhance the signal and put an edge on faint broad targets making them easier to hear and harder to miss.

I cannot rate the SP01 enough.
I wasn't far off building a similar unit for myself.
Pat beat me to it. LOL
The advantages of having an SP01 are more than worth
the initial cost.
Very well built.
Ease of use,
I can go on about it but it is now an essential piece of my
kit now.
Would never go without it.

I just dont get it..I run most vol,s flat out..Bugger the background noise, get use too it..Gold noise and background noise are two different animals..If your trying to smack the bottom for the deepest possible you cant do that without turning up the RX gain and thats where the background noise comes up..Its like an echo sounder on a boat when you turn the volume up to get some definition of the bottom because your in deeper water you start to see little specks..over your screen..background noise is like those little white spots..Thats why I dont wear headphones there would be too much noise and it would drive me nuts..Target vol ,Signal Vol..Flat out..When I walk over a piece of gold I think Ive found a Cadillac door..Why do I need a booster when you already have a Volume switch..If you think you have to boost faint signals why not turn up the Volume on the machine you already have..

I run Pro Sonics (Minelab) on my 4500 & the wifes 2300.
Very comfortable & clear ....... & to be free of the detector is a blessing (not attached by that bloody pigtail).
Rob.

Baldy said:
I just dont get it..I run most vol,s flat out..Bugger the background noise, get use too it..Gold noise and background noise are two different animals..If your trying to smack the bottom for the deepest possible you cant do that without turning up the RX gain and thats where the background noise comes up..Its like an echo sounder on a boat when you turn the volume up to get some definition of the bottom because your in deeper water you start to see little specks..over your screen..background noise is like those little white spots..Thats why I dont wear headphones there would be too much noise and it would drive me nuts..Target vol ,Signal Vol..Flat out..When I walk over a piece of gold I think Ive found a Cadillac door..Why do I need a booster when you already have a Volume switch..If you think you have to boost faint signals why not turn up the Volume on the machine you already have..
Agree. We talk about a 10.000AUD machine!Did guys in Minelab forgot to put a booster inside?Don't think so. I don't understand what exactly difference is between turning up volume without booster and turning down volume on detector and up booster's volume?!
Well, maybe I'm leaving some gold behind for boys with boosters on :|

Or how about connecting 2+ boosters in series, would that make any beneficial difference? Probably for manufacturers and sellers..

Baldy said:
In many areas where I detect there's trees everywhere and often quite windy, usually other detectorists nearby so using the external speakers flat out is not practicable, I like many others prefer to use headphones for detecting in stealth from other people and also cutting outside noise like wind in trees etc etc, I can still hear outside noise but it's greatly reduced and target noise greatly increased. The use of the enhancer means I don't have to blow my ear drums to pick up the faint signals.
I guess it's a case of what suits your situation best, a waste of money I think not, worth every cent in my and others situation.

In many areas where I detect there's trees everywhere and often quite windy, usually other detectorists nearby so using the external speakers flat out is not practicable, I like many others prefer to use headphones for detecting in stealth from other people and also cutting outside noise like wind in trees etc etc, I can still hear outside noise but it's greatly reduced and target noise greatly increased. The use of the enhancer means I don't have to blow my ear drums to pick up the faint signals.
I guess it's a case of what suits your situation best, a waste of money I think not, worth every cent in my and others situation.
Hell I would hate having to sneak around in Stelth ,its the wide open spaces for me..There is no Aftermarket Enhancer..Your detector is the only Enhancer..A cheap mini amp will any amplify any signal it receives..It doesnt improve any faint signals just makes them louder which in turn makes them sound better..but they are just louder..You dont need an Enhancer to make them louder just turn your target Volume up to the desired loudness..KISS..

I have the use of a 4500 and any considering getting a booster audio enhancer. Are these units worth having or are they like fishing lures, used to catch the fisherman not necessarily fish? I will be heading to the GPAs around Warwick (along with all the other novices) and wondered if these units would increase my chances, or would I be better to get some hours under my belt before going down this road. Any advice of first-hand experience would be appreciated.

G'day

Enhancers definitely become more important to have on your detector as you get older due to deteriorating hearing, they are not only used to increase the volume, which is necessary when used on early model minelab's as they had no proper volume control anyway, good quality ones are designed to enhance (as the name suggests) the target response signal to make it sharper and have it stand out better audibly and also filter out the ground noise so that you can more easily recognise the response.

I use the B&Z enhancers on my 4500 and 2300 and have found them to be very beneficial for me as I have some industrial deafness, there are now more advanced ones like the Steel Phase SP01 available and from what I have heard well worth using as well, anything that will help to increase your finds is worth a try and if I believed they were not worth using I would tell you so.

cheers

stayyerAU

I run an Ebay $25 amp with a Quest Mate wireless unit with earplugs. I forgot to charge the amp after a couple of arvos detecting so used the external speaker. Wow, what a difference! My hearing is fine but being able to hear those faint signals makes the difference.

You didn't hear it from me... but if you tape up a stereo plug like this, it will activate the booster in your battery. This is purely a volume boost.
WARNING... if doing this with headphones, all volumes within the contol box should be turned way down.

Keep it to yourself ;)

1564979061_20190805_141402.jpg

ctxkid said:
StayyerAU said:
also filter out the ground noise so that you can more easily recognise the response.
can you please elaborate how they "filter" ground noise ?
Older booster/enhancers are usually just a generic ~LM386 amp or similar so don't have any audio filtering at all unlike the SP01. The older ones really just provide convenient volume control & boost all noise/s.
None of them can specifically filter out ground noise?

ctxkid said:
i bought a Pro Sonic....it's awesome
They are great. I run my headphones through the receiver and connect the transmitter to one of Woody's lightweight batteries on the side of my GPX 4500 control box...magic setup and cheap, just the cost of the battery as the Pro Sonic comes with the 4500.

Latest posts