Amplifier/speaker/signal booster information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wolfau said:
All you need is the lead adapter for the sdc
And a speaker.
Yep you're going to need one of the Phasetech leads from Nenad but no speaker is required - it is built in to the unit.
They run on a 9 volt battery & are a little bigger than the usual speaker by itself but being all in one it eliminates one join in the set up I.e. usually you go from detector/Nenads lead to booster then from booster to speaker. With these it is just a connection from detector/Nenads lead straight to the all in one amp/speaker unit.
Phasetech adapter lead from Nenad:
http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/sdc2300_adaptor_lead/

Thanks all for the info. I'll be purchasing today. I struggle with those Minelab head phones, they work, but are uncomfortable and hot to wear all day i reckon.

No worries - hopefully you blokes find them ok too.
Got out with the Chinese LH -380 on a local spot for about half a day today. The unit was great - I ran it at less than 1/4 volume in the on position in very still conditions so no need to have it any louder or use the "drive" position. Actually you probably won't need it regardless but I did give a quick demo on the output for a forum member in "drive" & at high volume. Trust me it's loud - word of warning, make sure you have the volume right down & don't inadvertently switch up to "drive" when starting up. It'll near burst ya eardrums :lol:
Got 5 little ones using it today - one of which was less than 0.01gram as it won't read on my scales.
1429007244_14289959647130.jpg

The bigger one on the top left can't be attributed to either the SDC or the LH -380. My first ever sunbaker seen with me peepers before the detector picked it up. Went about 0.4gram so not a bad effort for a bloke who's blind in one eye & can't see out the other. Well not without contacts in anyway :D

Gday Matt

What sort of delivery time on the amp please mate ? I may have cut it a bit fine , looking to head away in about 3 weeks but see delivery can be up to 4 weeks. " got out for about half an hour " gotta love the SDC :D

Cheers

mbasko said:
No worries - hopefully you blokes find them ok too.
Got out with the Chinese LH -380 on a local spot for about half a day today. The unit was great - I ran it at less than 1/4 volume in the on position in very still conditions so no need to have it any louder or use the "drive" position. Actually you probably won't need it regardless but I did give a quick demo on the output for a forum member in "drive" & at high volume. Trust me it's loud - word of warning, make sure you have the volume right down & don't inadvertently switch up to "drive" when starting up. It'll near burst ya eardrums :lol:
Got 5 little ones using it today - one of which was less than 0.01gram as it won't read on my scales.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4485/1429007244_14289959647130.jpg
The bigger one on the top left can't be attributed to either the SDC or the LH -380. My first ever sunbaker seen with me peepers before the detector picked it up. Went about 0.4gram so not a bad effort for a bloke who's blind in one eye & can't see out the other. Well not without contacts in anyway :D

Had a feeling there was a sunbaker out there for you, haha, well done.

mbasko said:
Mine was ordered 25th March & delivered on the 6th April. Was surprised at how quickly it arrived - was expecting it to take longer.

I always thought there was better value for the $$$

Have repaired more than a few of the BZ boosters and while they may work; they are very basic...

The functionality of the mobile/portable guitar amps is quite extensive and due to numbers the pricing is very affordable.

If you do have significant hearing problems...

Take you gear to a good guitar / music shop and test a few of the mobile amps they have... Volume / Tone / Gain / etc can make the world of diferance and not all are the same...

The good thing about these are that they usually exceed the hearing range and thus you will not miss any thing....

AngerManagement said:
mbasko said:
Mine was ordered 25th March & delivered on the 6th April. Was surprised at how quickly it arrived - was expecting it to take longer.

I always thought there was better value for the $$$

Have repaired more than a few of the BZ boosters and while they may work; they are very basic...

The functionality of the mobile/portable guitar amps is quite extensive and due to numbers the pricing is very affordable.

If you do have significant hearing problems...

Take you gear to a good guitar / music shop and test a few of the mobile amps they have... Volume / Tone / Gain / etc can make the world of diferance and not all are the same...

The good thing about these are that they usually exceed the hearing range and thus you will not miss any thing....

AM when I played guitar (before my brain injury left me unable to) I loved the baby Marshall's, they seriously sounded good for such a small amp. With stuff like this for detecting I think one needs to look at the fequency response chart if available and pick one with a bump in the low mid freq-mid range around 700hz-1.4khz, same with headphones if unable to actually test in person.

Great music headphones don't maybe mean they are good detecting headphones in my opinion, what's your thoughts on that AM or do you believe an excellent full range flatter frequency response is more beneficial for detecting?

I used to use a crap pair of Sony headphones for mixing albums but I was used to them and the record would translate well on other systems for me. Every music studio has a set of Yamaha NS10 monitor/speakers, they sound crap for enjoying music but are a good reference point and have a very sensitive mid range, no subs and a nasty high freq range, if it does not hurt on the high freqs on NS10's the record will sound dull on most other hifi systems.... Most techo's have a good grasp on this stuff and i'd be interested in your thoughts.

Great music headphones don't maybe mean they are good detecting headphones in my opinion, what's your thoughts on that AM or do you believe an excellent full range flatter frequency response is more beneficial for detecting?

SO true on so many levels and yet also wrong :)

As I have stated in post before - the devil is in the detail.

A: What is the actual available response and output from the detector... If it can not provide a specific frequency or range of; then no use trying to amplify, that; That does not exist.

B: What is the range and response of the actual speakers ?

C: CRITICAL: What is the range and response of YOUR EARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

So for me if I could.... I would use a full mini equalizer that would allow me to tweak the sounds from the detector so that I could de-tune iron / lead :) And have GOLD scream at me...... Now some one else could put on my head phones and screw up their face.... Every one is different and hears different...

A high tone ??? can mean so many different things.... And every machine will sound slightly different due to variables that are out of your control.

So there is NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL.

Can just plug the guitar in while out in the fields for a quick shred when inspiration strikes also

I am thinking Smoke on the Water :)

And if your into IT and have a few bits around...

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G081hD0nwWE[/video]

Crikey, that almost sounds better than Nirvana, errr just jokin. Mmmmmm smoke on the water, bloody love deep Purple. I think Highway Star is my fav Deep Purple track.

I think the fundamental freq on the SDC is 900Hz on high tone and maybe 400Hz on low tone setting from memory, can't remember where I read it though, I only run the high tone setting that's why I was thinking specific cans for a specific machine, shoulda said so hey :) .

Where as the 5k is adjustable to tones that would be impractical at both extremes of low to high.

Hmmmm dunno about notching out Iron and the like with an eq, great in theory though, this was my fav eq, I had one and sold it not so long ago, boosting 20k just added air in such a fantastic way to some recordings..... Wish I could have strapped on my back for detecting and crank 1k, but it weighed 10kg abouts. :D

1429081540_ad2055f.jpg

This was my little loungroom mixing rig. :D

Check these out, some real sweet vintage eq's, Telefunken and Neumann mastering console modules, super schweet units. The one underneath the top of the pyramid was exactly the same one used on the vinyl master of Pink Floyds Dark side of the moon.

Jaros said:
Nice gear Heatho. Don't lose the memories. :p

Thanks Jaros, yeah I miss the gear and mixing, might get back into it one day. Was sitting around gathering dust. That Avalon parametric eq cost $5000 new, pretty much every single one of those larger rack units cost a GPX5000, lol. I wont even say that a decent microphone costs a GPZ 7000, oops I just did. :D

Sad that people think a computer can sound like those units, they can't though and probably never will, people think they do though, hence not much work for old school mixing engineers these days, a lot of musicians do it themselves, or think they can. A sign of the times I guess. Computers sound close but still not the same.

Sorry about going OT again......

Heatho said:
Sad that people think a computer can sound like those units, they can't though and probably never will, people think they do though, hence not much work for old school mixing engineers these days, a lot of musicians do it themselves, or think they can. A sign of the times I guess. Computers sound close but still not the same.

Sorry about going OT again......

Mate, I hear you.
I used to dabble in a bit of music production, but would always send stuff to professional mastering houses.
The trouble is, when it comes to music, most people can't hear the difference and/or don't care. How many people do you think even know what SACD is?
But a small light at the end of the tunnel, a bit of a resurgence in Vinyl sales, and iPods dying a slow death.

Do any members use a booster with a gpx 5000
And what breed do they help you if have bad
hearing and not fond of head phones
any input please will help
mond

Hi Mond
I use a B&Z Booster & External Speaker Combo and it really works a treat on the 5000.

Regards
Doug

I have tested the B&Z against the Rooster Booster and the Vktek Nugget Booster V3 on my 5000 all with an external speaker and heard very little difference between all three on the same buried target.

The Nugget Booster V3 operates off the detector battery as does the Rooster Booster. The B&Z runs off its own battery.

Hi Guys,

I have been sluicing for a long time and I am over it now. Back is sore after a long day digging.

I trialled an SDC 2300 and it had an unstable balance underwater - is this a common experience for minelabs first foldable underwater gold machine? I had hired this machine and specifically want to buy a machine that will pick up the small stuff. What do you recommend, could I have made some rooky errors?

Don't want a 7000, don' t want to spend that much. A bloke I know well keeps recommending the Sd 2100 with a booster or the 4000 as the best allrounder for small stuff. I would like a small stuff machine with the ability to also find the big stuff or is that an unreasonable request - sincere question?

I am keen to have someone take me to a gold field with a machine and signal booster and show me the evidence on actual small stuff and how to set and operate it properly. I would then buy the machine and a booster on the spot when convinced. I have been told so many conflicting things by salespeople who shall remain nameless that I am actually now confused/ frustrated. Frustratingly I heard contra information that the garret atx was also a good machine for this purpose? An underwater feture is what I want as well.

Just want the best machine for the purpose.

Nearest capital city to me is Canberra.

Cheers - Sluice

Latest posts