Advice on GPS units

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can even use google maps without reception if you download an offline map before you lose coverage, I've downloaded the whole Central West just in case I need it.

Anyway I'm with Telstra, live in Sydney and usually have only 1 bar or less of reception at home. Pretty hopeless coverage I reckon.

Stru said:
garmin oregon 600. hands down the best gps i have used. a real advancement i reckon - kind of like the step from old phones to smart phones...will look at swapping over from my magellan explorist 610.

gotta agree stu, and stepping up to the Garmin Montana 680t gives a few more options .....

I've just added all the google earth klm's to my Montana - very very easy and I now have the mines data for whatever areas I want. Great to see the data come up as you drive around!

I dont trust phone and ipad mapping as it really is only as dependable as your phone coverage - I've sat in the middle of Brisbane for a whole day waiting for calls through Optus only to find out later that person had been trying to ring me all day without success! Never mind - 3 days later I got the missed call message (out of area) joke!

Another reason to take an elb with you out detecting!

condor22 said:
My advice - use a phone to make phone calls, use a GPS to navigate. Google maps are useless without mobile coverage or the Data to use them.

exactly!!

As said above you DON'T need mobile coverage to allow some of the GPS maps to operate on your mobile phone. They work as well or better than standalone systems but you get what you pay for.
On Hema explorer I also have the Oziexplorer mine data downloaded as a kml file & it works offline on topo maps or on satellite map if I cut & save a specific area.
It's not dependable on any mobile coverage.
I believe the Hema app for iPhone/iPad is even better than the explorer app but haven't used it.
As technology advances I wouldn't be surprised to see standalone GPS slowly phased out to be honest as people want more from their gadgets than one trick ponies.
Biggest issue with mobile phones is available storage for large data & battery life - other than that they work fine as a GPS depending on phone model etc.

Nightjar said:
Optus claim 98.5% coverage, absolute BS.

When they claim this, what they mean is that they cover 98.5% of where the Australian population live, it doesn't refer to 98.5% of the land mass of Australia. To be fair, they're not very clear about this, and neither are Telstra.

(Ah damn, someone beat me to it regarding population, feel free to ignore this post.)

I have a garmin 650, the screen is too small. battery life ok but if thats what is keeping you alive a second battery is essential.IMO
Just read on DPI site that you can download their maps to a smartphone for nav. it may be a money saver & a bigger screen but it could also compromise battery life & may necessitate a power bank for the phone.

I'm trying an app for the iPhone called easy gps. I wouldn't rely on it in remote areas as the only means on navigation. It shows current gps location in Google earth map view so you can work out where you are. I've picked a few places of interest from Google earth and added a place mark so I can then use the navigate to feature. Will see how it goes for $5

HandyGPS for the iPhone works very well for me and others also around $5. Great if in mobile coverage areas (where Google Satellite imagery is overlaid), but still a beaut outside of coverage.

I use a garmin62s, had it a few years now and it does everything I need and then some, does cost a few bucks tho, but then I'm far from phone range alot of the time and cant rely on any phone app gps

Hey Bigwave I double checked and I'm referring to handyGPS too. Looks like the android version allows you to download offline maps, but even on the iphone I did a test and loaded an area of interest, then turned off mobile and wifi data to simulate being out of mobile coverage and completely closed the app, then opened it again and it still had the google earth overlay cached. Not sure how much map data it keeps. It's very easy to use and navigate. Pretty impressed so far. I like how you can press and hold for 5 seconds on the map view to add a waypoint. Much easier than getting waypoints onto my etrex.

Hey all,

Just bought one of these for fifty bucks. Have I wasted my money? I think it is over a decade old. The kids and I don't get too over adventurous, but thought it would be good to have. Any thoughts would be appreciated, cheers.

1469834000_gps_pic.png

wooly said:
Anyone tried one of these Bushnells GPS units?

http://bushnell.com/hunting/gps/backtrack

I got my folks one of these or similar for when caravaning, they said it was ok but did have some issues at times. Personally for the price I would rather get something like below.

PT73 said:
Hey all,

Just bought one of these for fifty bucks. Have I wasted my money? I think it is over a decade old. The kids and I don't get too over adventurous, but thought it would be good to have. Any thoughts would be appreciated, cheers.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7726/1469834000_gps_pic.png

These are fine just limited in some newer abilities, however to get you to point A and back these will do fine.

Members,

I am keen to get a GPS unit that is compact, weatherproof and above all easy to use ( as I a a pretty hopeless techo). I am after something that will allow me to add points (finds or POIs) along a travel route and also to backtrack to my start point.

Forgot to mention that is a survival/ support tool for detecting hikes.

All recommendations are welcomed.

(hope this an acceptable spot to post this)

thanks in advance
Mike

Years ago i brought a basic E-TREK for about a $100 .Got it at BCF and has never let me down .Just take 2 spar batteries with u when u go out and alls good as long as u got a phone with sat nav apt on as back up .But u main tool in remote parts will be u E-TREK .IT will get a signal even when u sat phone is dead .Have never had to use backup .

Latest posts