Advice on GPS units

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nucopia said:
Good thread guys thanks.
I have been looking at getting a hand held GPS just not sure what one yet.
Been looking at the Garmin Etrex 10, 20x and 30x

The E10 is basic, monochrome and you can't add maps @ $145
The E20 is colour, has memory and can add maps @ $274
The E30 has more functions but for my use, not worth the extra $101 @ $375

They will all find your car if you mark it with a waypoint, the rest depends on what else you want it to do and how big the wallet is. I was fortunate to get the E20 as part of the deal when I bought my GPX5000. It would be the one I would have bought anyway.

You can compare here

https://www.ja-gps.com.au/GPS-Units/Handheld-GPS I've bought from them before, good prices and good service

I have no affiliation with JS other than as a customer

condor22 said:
nucopia said:
Good thread guys thanks.
I have been looking at getting a hand held GPS just not sure what one yet.
Been looking at the Garmin Etrex 10, 20x and 30x

The E10 is basic, monochrome and you can't add maps @ $145
The E20 is colour, has memory and can add maps @ $274
The E30 has more functions but for my use, not worth the extra $101 @ $375

They will all find your car if you mark it with a waypoint, the rest depends on what else you want it to do and how big the wallet is. I was fortunate to get the E20 as part of the deal when I bought my GPX5000. It would be the one I would have bought anyway.

You can compare here

https://www.ja-gps.com.au/GPS-Units/Handheld-GPS I've bought from them before, good prices and good service

I have no affiliation with JS other than as a customer
Thanks Condor
The E20x is going for $299 on line and in most stores Ive looked up on the net. Ill check out your link as well !
I found the E30x on ebay for $349 with free postage .. Which is tempting for an extra $50.

Hi,

I bought the etrex 10 at Dick Smith the other day for $69. I know its simple but does all I need it to do. It was half price :p

Cheers

Just got the Garmin gpsmap64 for Christmas. Where I go prospecting the bush is dense and was advised to get a Gps that had an external antenna as they where better at picking up signal. Don't really know if that's the case or not, but it sounded like it made sense.

Jin said:
Just got the Garmin gpsmap64 for Christmas. Where I go prospecting the bush is dense and was advised to get a Gps that had an external antenna as they where better at picking up signal. Don't really know if that's the case or not, but it sounded like it made sense.

I think in the case of GPS units the external antenna has a higher Gain, which locks onto the signal quicker. However all GPS units, Sat phones etc need a clear view of "some" sky.

By "some" sky, I mean, enough sky to pic up at least 4 satellites to fix your position in 3 dimensions. A lock to 3 satellites will give you your position, albeit, not as accurate. As the satellite position, the terrain and your location are constantly variable, you can find that in heavy terrain a fix might vary depending on time of day etc.

On some occasions, I've found it difficult to get 4 satellites to lock on, on other occasions, I've locked on 7 or 8 at a time, in the same location.

The one suggestion I will make is, whatever GPS unit you buy, find one that picks up GPS satellites and GLONASS simultaneously. The later Garmin E series do.
GPS is the U.S.A. system of satellites, GLONASS is the Russian system. By using both, systems, you double the number of available satellites which increases the chance to lock on and reduces the time to do so.

Hi all ,
What is a good hand held gps? Any thought on brands and models and why you think they are good.
Thanks
Rob :)

Garmin rhino 650 if detecting with partner. Not cheap but is a combined UHF radio and GPS.
When paired with partners rhino, can see each other's position, can send selected text messages to each other.
Besides price only other negative is weight but personal opinion is advantages outweigh disadvatages.
Agree with Condor about Garmin Etrex E20, very popular unit on gold fields.

I'm not sure but I think some smart phones have a built in gps? Not just when in phone range..load in hema explorer $29..and welcome to the new age..

Baldy said:
I'm not sure but I think some smart phones have a built in gps? Not just when in phone range..load in hema explorer $29..and welcome to the new age..

Also jus use my iPhone or iPad with Memory-Map and/or Mapscape, great detailed mapping (actually think Memory-Map and Hema are almost the same).
Cheers T.

Oh, iPad doesn't have a SIM card so use a Bad Elf plug in GPS receiver, they also market a great Personal Location Beacon.

I'm also a Rhino user as well as my fellow prospectors as they like to keep tabs on me at all times, just not sure its for my safety or seeing on the screen were I am fulling my pockets :D

Good for uploading your own maps weather they are GE,Goldfiled maps, or old parish plan maps for your relic hunting.

Heavy on price but worth it keep you eyes open to the special as the twin pack come out cheap and you can alway sell the second on.

Cheers

Teemore said:
Also jus use my iPhone or iPad with Memory-Map and/or Mapscape, great detailed mapping (actually think Memory-Map and Hema are almost the same).
Cheers T.

Oh, iPad doesn't have a SIM card so use a Bad Elf plug in GPS receiver, they also market a great Personal Location Beacon.

Teemore,
Can you repeat that in English. :lol:

I have a handheld Garmin Montana 650T with Oztopo maps loaded on it that I originally bought for offroad riding. Both my bikes have powered mounts on the handlebars, and it also goes into a windscreen mount for the car.

I loaded all the goldmines co-ordinates on it as POI's a few years ago and would often be out riding and see mines popping up all over the place just begging to be explored, much to the frustration of my fellow riders :).

In a way that's kind of what got me back into prospecting....

Cheers,
JD

bundyjd said:
I have a handheld Garmin Montana 650T with Oztopo maps loaded on it that I originally bought for offroad riding. Both my bikes have powered mounts on the handlebars, and it also goes into a windscreen mount for the car.

I loaded all the goldmines co-ordinates on it as POI's a few years ago and would often be out riding and see mines popping up all over the place just begging to be explored, much to the frustration of my fellow riders :).

In a way that's kind of what got me back into prospecting....

Cheers,
JD

Got one of these I use on both bikes and the 4wd as well. They have different modes for different vehicles and very easy to set up - not to mention an 8meg pix camera which geotags them for google earth etc Can put ozzie explorer maps on also. As bundyyjd mentioned you can add and editr your own maps ..... but I ll have to quiz him on the POI's lol

Of course the price is very important and at just below $900 bucks they arent cheap!!

Hi Teemore,my IPad has the SIM card and the built in gps..you don't have to put a sim in..and the gps works with out phone service..which cuts down on the amount of gadgets you need to carry..I just hot spot from my phone for Internet ..with an iPad you can do so many other things..

Latest posts