Advice on GPS units

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you get yourself a Garmin Etrex 30 one of the older ones which most still stock get yourself one of the eBay Aus/NZ topo maps not the lite version as these copied maps will not work in the newer Garmin models. The Etrex 30 is a great unit very easy to use and the Garmin topo is the best moving map on a GPS I have ever used and carries a load of detail when zoomed in and the Garmin basecamp mapping software is pretty user friendly too.

goldwright said:
If you get yourself a Garmin Etrex 30 one of the older ones which most still stock get yourself one of the eBay Aus/NZ topo maps not the lite version as these copied maps will not work in the newer Garmin models. The Etrex 30 is a great unit very easy to use and the Garmin topo is the best moving map on a GPS I have ever used and carries a load of detail when zoomed in and the Garmin basecamp mapping software is pretty user friendly too.

I agree, if a person wants to use the mapping system that is a great unit,

I use a Garmin GPS 76 because I only want to see my tracks and waypoints and it is quite a big unit and White in Colour so it is easy to see when you put it down, I was going to buy a Camo unit but that is a bad Idea because if you drop them it makes it real hard to find them again, But my other units have full on mapping,

I have the Magellan 710... one of the best things I've ever owned. I brought it originally for a GPS on the DR650, but have used it for everything from hiking to kayak fishing. Has all the bells and whistles, but I mostly use it for marking waypoints and finding my way around new areas. The touch screen has never been an issue.

I think it's a Holden/Ford thing re. brands, they all do a pretty good job.

My 2c worth :D

goldwright said:

Yes found this with the Garmin 64s Copied maps just comes up as corrupt file .
Great unit but :)

I'm not saying don't use a handheld GPS, but I am happy doing my general nav from a 7inch screen in the car and i use "Locatier" on my iPhone to set the position of my car before walking off or for marking waypoints. i have memory map on my phone as back up. The phone in my pack in an otto box, and then in a neoprene sleeve with a spare battery and has handled some rough trips over a long period . The phone is off on longer walks and turned on if i want to check the way back to base with Locatier. Locatier has always been extremely accurate for direction and distance from base. Battery life is not an issue, i turn off all networks etc.. everything except the GPS, and updating on satellites signals can be adjusted to longer intervals....and uses little battery life
RDD
(i also carry a PLB, detect with a buddy/second car nearby and have a sat phone.)

RedDirtDigger said:
I'm not saying don't use a handheld GPS, but I am happy doing my general nav from a 7inch screen in the car and i use "Locatier" on my iPhone to set the position of my car before walking off or for marking waypoints. i have memory map on my phone as back up. The phone in my pack in an otto box, and then in a neoprene sleeve with a spare battery and has handled some rough trips over a long period . The phone is off on longer walks and turned on if i want to check the way back to base with Locatier. Locatier has always been extremely accurate for direction and distance from base. Battery life is not an issue, i turn off all networks etc.. everything except the GPS, and updating on satellites signals can be adjusted to longer intervals....and uses little battery life
RDD
(i also carry a PLB, detect with a buddy/second car nearby and have a sat phone.)
I do much the same RDD. Use Hema Explorer on android phone but it's on flight mode & the GPS software is off until I want to mark a waypoint or check on the direction back to where I came from. I have an android app called simply Offline Maps secondary to Hema Explorer but haven't needed to use it. Seems ok & both work without a mobile network.
Never had any issues with the battery life doing this even over 8hr days - lowest it's gotten is about 70 to 80%. I don't see any point marking tracks into an area - a single waypoint is sufficient to me & I use my other more familiar waypoints for location/direction. If I'm heading into a marked area I just check my direction periodically if needed. No need to wander around the bush constantly fixated to the GPS screen?
My PLB is kept permanently in my detecting harness.
IMO it makes things easier to have it on one device. Got enough stuff to carry now & enough batteries to recharge etc. too.
P.s I'll be getting a Nexus 7 or similar shortly to run Hema Explorer in the ute too.
Hema Explorer on the annual Pro subscription gives me resolution to 1:9000k. Can't get much better detail than that & the different layers from various maps can show different POI's or detail.

Yeah, too many devices, that is why I went with the Rino750, but after using a bit I`m leaning back towards the droid phone with Oziexplorer that I`ve used for years. Android OS is far more user friendly and versatile then Garmins proprietary software. Can load any Oziexplorer map from PC, including the all important Geo maps for prospectors. Leaving the phone in pocket on tracking(screen off) all day is no drama to the battery.
The days of the handheld only GPS device is numbered I guess, but they are cheap as, now days thus a good first GPS to new users.

They make detectors to detect and GPS's to Locate and I would never use anything that was not dedicated for the task at hand, Most dedicated GPS units have some kind of Mil Spec rating and the screens can take the knocks unlike the touch screens on phones, Once they get damaged they no longer work and where ever you parked your Truck is anyone's Guess, The risks in the bush are high enough without adding more things to the list that can go wrong, Which is why I will only use my phone as a last resort.

Most of my Gadgets I have bought have the same high Mil Spec rating, I have found over the years that problems only occur when people start cutting corners, When people go prospecting they buy the best of Detectors and the best of Trucks and the best fridges etc yet when it comes to something that might save their lives they take the cheap option and use a cell phone,

2 AA's will run a GPS for 24 hours or more brand pending and leaves the phones battery for more important matters,

Phones work fine but we have all plugged our phones in to the cigar socket and it has not made the right connection and when we have tried to use them and it has bleeped telling us to put it on charge and all it takes is some vibration from the bush track and that's the end of your days detecting, These are just some of the things to consider,

I'm a big fan of safety and common sense so the less stuff to carry, that is reliable and easy to use gets my vote. Keep the comments coming as there are a lot of people thinking about GPS and safety on this forum

mbasko said:
Ridge Runner said:
Most dedicated GPS units have some kind of Mil Spec rating and the screens can take the knocks unlike the touch screens on phones
Easy fixed buy one of these or similar: (like I have)
http://protectionlab.com.au/product...=11816383041&gclid=CJ_GpKq-otECFYGWvAodvVgCMA
I would use multi-purpose gadgets for everything possible where available. The less shite carried the better IMO & multi-purpose isn't always a compromise.

Yep they are good but what bothers me is the screen is still unprotected, My GPS is Rubber Armoured all around the edges and the Screens are a 3 or 4 laminated ABS system,

I have a Nexus 7" and a Samsung Galaxy Note and a Galaxy Ace all with GPS's with street level mapping of the whole of the EU and I have Australian Mapping for and on them,

I have a Garmin Street Pilot III with all of the Above on it and A Tomtom Satnav, And A Garmin GPS76 and I have just ordered a Garmin GPS72 as a backup for the 76.

I use the Nexus and the Note and the Garmin Street Pilot III and the Tomtom in the Truck or Car, So I use each depending what I am driving and the GPS76 is for use out in the bush or Mountains etc,,, The Phone I use for City Driving,, So they all have their use's

I was going to add the Garmin GPS 152 to the truck but it is really made for boats, But there is no point as the 7" Nexus has a better screen for Driving.

I prefer the 7" Nexus or the Phone in town/city because I always keep it with me because the Idiots from planet Dork will only smash ya windows to swipe it for their next fix.

So my choice of GPS or Phone is more related as to what I am doing at the time.

John.

EDIT:- One thing to take Note of is that a dedicated GPS is about a 1/4 of the cost of an Iphone or a Galaxy Note and they can take a heck of a beating, So from that alone it makes more sense to use a GPS because they are cheaper to replace than a phone if they get lost or broken,

Gadgets are great but even a simple fall on a slimy rock crossing a creek and many can become useless in seconds. Funny thing I have noticed about electronic devices is that they never fail whilst at home :rolleyes:
I understand string is about a good or best GPS but don't overlook the simple compass ................ cheap as chips and takes up minimal room is always good to carry as short of marking gps locations will serve you well in all other applications. as long as you know how to read and use it :D

Bogger said:
Gadgets are great but even a simple fall on a slimy rock crossing a creek and many can become useless in seconds. Funny thing I have noticed about electronic devices is that they never fail whilst at home :rolleyes:
I understand string is about a good or best GPS but don't overlook the simple compass ................ cheap as chips and takes up minimal room is always good to carry as short of marking gps locations will serve you well in all other applications. as long as you know how to read and use it :D

I just bought a new one of these for about $160, I have the GPS 76 model already and I use to have the yellow etrex model til some dork stole my back pack full of gear while I was detecting, So this is just a replacement for the etrex,

When I bought the GPS76 the were about $600 back then so this "NEW" one is a steal at 160 bucks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201766671717?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

thanks for the info.have a magellen 710,now must learn to use it.have just been thru greenvale,georgetown,croyden,and back thru the curry.
I had a loan of metal detector no name on it,couldn,t find anywhere to practice . will try again when the weather permits.And what permits
etc,will I need would be grateful for any advice kevi.

I've got the Garmin Montana 650. Very similar to the Oregon but with a bigger screen, if I remember correctly.

The pros:
simple to use for basic stuff
allows you to make maps in google earth and download to the unit
much bigger screen (my previous etrex screen was annoyingly small)
batteries last fine
has a camera to take pics of finds

The cons:
it is expensive
requires you to use BaseCamp software to transfer files (works but it is a little cumbersome)

I like having the GPS to accurately mark finds, create tracks to upload to my google earth, and help me locate my pick when I lose the thing over and over again. :D

When detecting with someone else in a remote area, I have found that most small dramas/issues etc that you may face in the bush/desert are solved by UHF radio and not my GPS etc. And on longer trips, handheld radios always seem to regularly go flat etc or one or two radios being carried by people in the detecting group will fail.

I am just saying that a priority for me is to ensure I have a good 5w UHF handheld on the harness and spare battery in the backpack because the radio has been the most used safety tool on all the longer prospecting trips I have done with other people.

RedDirtDigger said:
When detecting with someone else in a remote area, I have found that most small dramas/issues etc that you may face in the bush/desert are solved by UHF radio and not my GPS etc. And on longer trips, handheld radios always seem to regularly go flat etc or one or two radios being carried by people in the detecting group will fail.

I am just saying that a priority for me is to ensure I have a good 5w UHF handheld on the harness and spare battery in the backpack because the radio has been the most used safety tool on all the longer prospecting trips I have done with other people.

That's a good Idea, Do you have any pictures of the Radio's that you use ?

John.

Latest posts