Adelaide (SA) South Australia information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I will be waiting for winter for some decent water before thinking about pulling out my pan and concentrator. :)

Anybody been out to burra north of Adelaide looking for gold,any nice spots I could try??

Bigjilm said:
Anybody been out to burra north of Adelaide looking for gold,any nice spots I could try??

get the PIRSA book of maps - 'Goldfields of SA' - it has the maps for the goldfields north of Burra. It is a bit hit and miss up there - there are some old diggings about and what was/maybe a recently operating goldmine. Private land seems to be the best bet, if you can get on it - a few leases about, so permission would be required. Doug Stone also has some really very basic maps of SA goldfields in his Metal Detecting for Gold and Relics book.

We went through a few of those spots up there on the way to WA from Vic several years ago. Very limited scope unless you are on private land - the public areas are very small for legal access across the whole state. We are bit spoilt in WA and Vic, but if I lived in Adelaide, I would give it a miss and add a few extra hours and hit the Vic fields.

Officially only 3 areas you can detect for gold in SA, other than private land. As mentioned, better off going to VIC, where they actually cater for the hobby.

Bigjilm said:
A mates dad has 20 acres up there :)

I can only recommend you get the PIRSA book and check the maps against the property holdings and/or SA topo and geo maps and check out whats what on the 20 acres. It really is a very interesting place up there. The Burra tourist place had some guide maps if memory serves me correctly and the owner of the goldmine/claim used to drink at the Burra Hotel some years back, can't remember his name though. As a footnote, we did get on some private land - the gravels were very deep, beyond detecting range so I would look at creeks and gullies that run off the Flinders Ranges foothills if you could get on there.

Nope I am still waiting on my pan to arrive.

I have driven up to the Kangaroo Creek Reservoir as there used to be two mines on the north and south of that Reservoir.

So i plan to pan around the Torrens there.

If you look on the dmitre website there is a brochure, earth resources, about that area, look at it, as it tells you where you can and can't go as S.A. water have a lot of land up there, as it happens it's where the gold is, anyway on page 3 it has a map, or email me and I'll send it to you
Cheers
Paul

Thanks mate will do,

If I remain interested and get decent at it maybe we could catch up for a gold hunt :)

Ohh i don't know how to find ur email... and im having trouble locating that brochure.

Mate, I'm still interested, but I have never found anything, so either I'm not good at it or looking in the wrong places
The funny thing about it is, I work in a copper/gold mine and never seen it lol.
Cheers

wow! is it a private mine, like one owner or big commercial?

I also found the documents i think you were talking about.

minerals.statedevelopment.sa.gov.au/publications_and_information/mineral_resources

but all the pdfs dont load...

Its not a small mine, its prominent hill. I work underground and the only way you tell what's in it, is the rock looks blue, and waste looks red.
For some reason the forum won't let me load a PDF file in the chat box, doesn't have that function on android..........strange.
Its called ismo1 when it downloads.

Latest posts