For those with knowledge of South Australia's Crown land (plus the use of SARIG software)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
See my question below ↓

On the website https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/topics/crown-land/south-australias-crown-land there's information on the different Crown Land titles in South Australia.

So, I'm using SARIG to explore the different parcels in SA where;
A. gold has been found in the past,
B. is accessible for gold prospecting, and
C. the area is not subject to existing mineral titles

I did some prospecting before in the area around Mount Crawford. Think of Snake Guly, Watts Gully, etc. This particular area on SARIG has a CR - Crown Record title and is open to the public for prospecting.

Question: Is it fair to state, based on my initial research on SARIG, that the public is allowed to prospect (eventually with or without a fossicking permit from Gov) on parcels of land in SA with a Crown Record title?

By the way, most of the land in SA is Private land - freehold (CT - Certificate of Title) and therefore only accessible with the allowance of the legal owner. CR land, in combination with gold deposits as displayed on SARIG, is scarce.

Thanks in advance for the feedback, Vasco

Last edited:
Thanks, and yes, and I had another look. The following I found on the site:

Where can I go and fossick?
There are a number of historical fossicking sites within South Australia which are open to the public for fossicking. If you want to fossick on private property, you must obtain the landowner's permission before doing so. Details of land owners can be obtained from the Lands Titles office, phone +61 8 8226 3983.

So, I will ask the office, based on the parcel information on SARIG, if the ones that I selcted with CR title are accessible. Fingers crossed : )

South Australia's a tough place for prospecting, unfortunately. Victoria or WA offer much more possibilities.
Is it because of the legal aspect - a combination of land with gold, which is in the hands of private (or corporate) landowners and can't be accessed without permission? Or because there is much less gold in SA than in WA/VIC?

Most likely a combination of both? I'm trying to get a better understanding of the how and the why, hence my questions :cool:

Question: Is it fair to state, based on my initial research on SARIG, that the public is allowed to prospect (eventually with or without a fossicking permit from Gov) on parcels of land in SA with a Crown Record title?

By the way, most of the land in SA is Private land - freehold (CT - Certificate of Title) and therefore only accessible with the allowance of the legal owner. CR land, in combination with gold deposits as displayed on SARIG, is scarce.

Thanks in advance for the feedback, Vasco

"Crown land is generally the responsibility of the Department for Environment and Water. As the excavation, damage or interference of Crown land without lawful authority is an offence under the Crown Lands Management Act 2009, consent must be obtained from the Department for Environment and Water to fossick."

Crown Land and Fossicking SA

As an outsider, it seems to me that everything is against the hobby prospector in SA. From memory, there are only three small areas which are open to detecting without seeking permission first, one of which is presently closed because of flooding or fire. Most of our SA members seem to regard these areas as flogged-out anyway. Other than those places, everywhere else permissions are necessary from landowners and/or Exploration Leaseholders and/or Mining Leaseholders.

It is also my understanding that SA mining regulations limit the amount of gold which can be recovered per day by fossickers and prohibit the resale of any gold found. Sorry, but could things get any worse? 😖

As an outsider, it seems to me that everything is against the hobby prospector in SA. From memory, there are only three small areas which are open to detecting without seeking permission first, one of which is presently closed because of flooding or fire. Most of our SA members seem to regard these areas as flogged-out anyway. Other than those places, everywhere else permissions are necessary from landowners and/or Exploration Leaseholders and/or Mining Leaseholders.

It is also my understanding that SA mining regulations limit the amount of gold which can be recovered per day by fossickers and prohibit the resale of any gold found. Sorry, but could things get any worse? 😖
That is my impression too. However, I indicated some parcels on SARIG with CR titles. I will contact the relevant authority(ies) and determine if this is a go/no-go for prospectors.

From what I can tell fossicking with detectors is allowed on CR land with the relevant department’s authority.
When you have successfully received such permission can you please relay to us what the experience was like, ie, straight forward, difficult, frustrating, etc.
Oh, and if you happen to come across an obliging individual who sees no problems with your request, then get his phone no. mate!
btw, I see you now have a serious gold machine 👍
Good to see your persistent endeavours.

From what I can tell fossicking with detectors is allowed on CR land with the relevant department’s authority.
When you have successfully received such permission can you please relay to us what the experience was like, ie, straight forward, difficult, frustrating, etc.
Oh, and if you happen to come across an obliging individual who sees no problems with your request, then get his phone no. mate!
btw, I see you now have a serious gold machine 👍
Good to see your persistent endeavours.
Sure, will do.

Latest posts