⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
:lol: no worries - seen your icy road post & thought ya must've headed there.
I'll be up a hill myself tomorrow so hopefully I can find some too :D

I have never quite made it to Tuena, was planning to do a loop through there yesterday for a stickybeak but getting that first nugget on new ground sucks the time away and a few dark clouds appeared late afternoon so I turned around.

I am heading to the NT to swim with the crocs next week, so you guys will have to take all the Tuena gold for yourselves. :lol:

Heatho said:
Wally69 said:

Hey well done mate, just a day trip was it? Way too cold out there for me at the moment. Mmmmm NT perfect this time of year..... Wish I was coming, I'm sick of winter.

Yes mate, a great unplanned day trip. The evening before the Mrs told me I was uninvited from a girls/kids catchup that has been sitting in my diary for weeks, then at 4:00 in the morning the buzz saw started, so with a free day to myself I thought bugger it, I'm out of here. :p a bit of an explore, a quick swing and a takeaway bucket of Black Springs sapphire wash was far more appealing than a broken sleep and fixing broken windows. :D

A couple of surprise nuggets put the icing on the cake.

Well done Wally. I like the crunchy one on the left, but gotta say, i do like pieces of quartz with gold still attached, they just look so right. Enjoy the NT trip mate, how good would it be to get warm for a while? :p :p :p

I know it is in the wrong thread, but just to round the story off, the bucket of wash waited for the last sieve to deliver a 1.4ct sapphire.

1435813262_image.jpg

And just when I thought it was all over.......

Checked out my hot rocks from the trip....

1435817902_image.jpg

Nice little Quartz vein running through magnet attracted ironstone....was thinking this might have a chance but no gold

Thought this one was all ironstone as it gave a solid SDC response (reconstructed for photographic purposes as I had mentally dismissed its potential)

1435817981_image.jpg

I was surprised to see white once it was cracked open and if you look carefully, you might just be able to make out a spot of yellow

1435818190_image.jpg

Wally69 said:
And just when I thought it was all over.......

Checked out my hot rocks from the trip....

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1435817902_image.jpg

Nice little Quartz vein running through magnet attracted ironstone....was thinking this might have a chance but no gold

Thought this one was all ironstone as it gave a solid SDC response (reconstructed for photographic purposes as I had mentally dismissed its potential)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1435817981_image.jpg

I was surprised to see white once it was cracked open and if you look carefully, you might just be able to make out a spot of yellow

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1435818190_image.jpg

Crikey mate don't tell me that hotrock spot with thousands of hotrocks has gold in all of them........ :) Weeeee's rich dang it..... :D

Maybe Heath.....just maybe.........let me know how you go :lol:

It looks like I have confirmed that it pays to take a close look at your hot rocks. Since owning the SDC I bring them all home, this is the first pleasant surprise but my rock garden is growing nicely. :D

That's cool Wal. What acid do you use for that. I was thinking i'd have to smash mine up but that looks great. Will you keep going or leave like that?

They say small things amuse small minds, I would prefer to be working on a several kg specimen that's for sure but I like to try and understand how the gold is formed and if I can get the specimen looking nice I'll leave it as something I can show my family and friends or perhaps sell one day. I do laugh at my obsession with gold regularly and the smaller it gets the more I laugh, or cry.

I have removed some from the host rock entirely and they will eventually be melted down with my other nuggets to make something for the Mrs.

In regard to acid, I use bickies acid (H2Cl) from bunnings and finish off with Alibrite as the acid leaves a yellow stain. I find the acid works fast on the ironstone and a toothbrush will progressively remove it. The acid also works it's way into the fine Quartz cracks and interface with the gold. I like to carefully prize chunks away with a needle pointed tool to reveal the gold crystals.

Here is the latest, you can see the Quartz crystals and where the ironstone has filled the voids.

1435890007_image.jpg

what made the gold form there ??? and not elsewhere ???

Latest posts