⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko, that looks promising.

Love the bigger bits your getting, there has to be more!!

Cant wait till I get back out your way for another scan. Wont be for a few months though.

Cheers

RS

Well done mbasko, very nice pieces. What's that bigger nug on the coin go weight wise? There's gotta be a bigger nug out there somewhere just waiting for an sdc to swing over it Golddigg@ :lol:

SCROUNGER said:
have also been getting small pieces in that dry, grey dusty soil found in the GT. Those pieces always surprise me more because they also seem suspended in that dusty powdery soil rather that lodged on the bottom where you would expect them to be.

Couple of thoughts on that ... the "dusty powder" is only like that when dry, when it's wet it's probably quite dense, could also be that they have "travelled" in more recent times, last BIG flood/downpour ..... then again I could be completely wrong, sure there's some experts out there to explain it to us.
Otherwise go the SDC,
Cheers T.

Yeah, i suppose so, but much of it is almost (to the eye at least) flat ground along the edges of surfaced areas where i would have thought the gold would sink down (quicker) rather than be washed along. I dunno mate, still on a huge learning curve and as i've read a number of times on this site, gold is where you find it. Each time i go out i'm usually surprised by where i find some pieces :lol: :lol: I also think that's what makes it so interesting, it's not totally predictable, well not for me at least:lol:

SCROUNGER said:
Well done mbasko, very nice pieces. What's that bigger nug on the coin go weight wise? There's gotta be a bigger nug out there somewhere just waiting for an sdc to swing over it Golddigg@ :lol:
The bigger bit only went 0.87gram. I thought it would go more when I got it but it was all clay - shouldn't have cleaned it :p There was just under 1.5 grams all up + the specci. I'm going to keep that specci & try to clean it up in some alibrite. It's got ironstone, quartz & gold shows on 3 sides. Hopefully it'll stay together after a quick bath!
I know a female member just found a 4.6 grammer @ 8-10" in WA with the SDC in an area where 4 x zeds had been over. She said it must have had her name on it - the blokes with zeds agreed :lol:
As the old saying goes they're out there - we just need to get the coil over one. Plenty of bigger nuggets pinged with an SDC - just not by me :D

The zed would have screamed on a 4 grammer every day or night at double the depth.......they just didnt walk over it.
the SDC is a great machine, but its a poor mans zed.

sad but true!

;)

Retirement Stone said:
mbasko, that looks promising.

Love the bigger bits your getting, there has to be more!!

Cant wait till I get back out your way for another scan. Wont be for a few months though.

Cheers

RS
Yeah there's gotta be some out there with our names on them! Especially the ones I've found lately in or near old dig holes. They get missed. That 0.87 one sounded like a 22 shell & was only about 4-5" deep. It was right next to a "horseshoe" shaped dig on top of an embankment. I reckon they had dug it after hearing something while down in the gully but didn't get up to chase it. Missed it by about 3".
Hopefully we'll catch up one time your over. Missus is due in January so until then I'll be getting as much time in as I can.

Metamorphic said:
The zed would have screamed on a 4 grammer every day or night at double the depth.......they just didnt walk over it.
the SDC is a great machine, but its a poor mans zed.

sad but true!

;)
It was in a spot where the 8" coil had the advantage mate! The 14" would have most likely missed it due to where it was found. Or it might of really just had her name on it :rolleyes: I don't think my SDC or any other can compete with a $10k machine & don't pretend it will. Different horses different courses. They are different machines with vastly different capabilities. Poor mans Zed indeed! :eek:

I have the upmost respect for you as a top prospector Matt.....i would never chose to disregard your opinion ever.

I will take onboard your assumptions mate and hope they can teach me more!

Regards

Humble Meta (sometimes)

Hehe

On that note there is no way you can get a ZED coil into the spaces or gaps between ground obstacles that the SDC coil can get to. I have worked side by side with ZED operators and out gunned them both by about 8 SDC to 1 ZED. I reckon only because of the above reasoning.

Apart from that of course I want a ZED as well that would be fantastic! So I can get a look at some larger deep stuff as well!

RS

Thats what you all dont understand about the zed RS.

You dont need to get the coil in the hole to hear what an SDC is telling you!

Your not scraping your holes right :)

Just try one and then doubt me ;)

Edit.....and i dont believe that for a second RS. Come out with me!

Metamorphic said:
I have the upmost respect for you as a top prospector Matt.....i would never chose to disregard your opinion ever.

I will take onboard your assumptions mate and hope they can teach me more!

Regards

Humble Meta (sometimes)

Hehe
No assumptions Meta. "It was the position in the creek where it was. The 8inch coil can get into tight spots better" - their words not mine.
I should have been clearer in my post originally to remove any confusion. My bad :8
I agree that the Zed will scream on a 4 grammer, as long as you can get the coil over it. I also agree with RS - certain areas are better suited for a smaller than 14" coil but the SDC will never match it in most scenarios.
p.s did you buy one yet?

The only problem i have with the zed and a 14" coil is pinpointing a target.

Its so bloody hard to perfect.

Had to call my mates over with the SDC.

:lol:

Nah, havent bought one for myself yet mate, but have exclusive use of my prospecting partners machine.....god i love him! :lol:

Having used the SDC for over 12 months (never had the success I see from some members, wrong location or just a shitty prospector) and always had the same thought about larger coils .... can't get into the tight spaces.
Since buying the 14" Elite I have to eat my words, in scrubby/grassy areas the coil just flattens it, no problem keeping it close to or on the ground ..... agree that in rocy terrain a smaller elliptical would be better.
Hey, as long as we're finding the yellow who cares.
Cheers T.

SDC strikes again on aluvial workings :D

1435665150_image.jpg

mbasko said:
Interesting looking bit on the left. Nice going!
p.s. does this count as first gold for the Tuena trip :D

A bit too far up the hill, they may have made it to Tuena in a couple of thousand years. :lol:

Some fool rubbed the dirt off the crystaline nugget with his fingers and saw gold dust falling off as he did it :8 the soil must be very acidic to clean it out like that. It is a shame we didn't get to see it in all its glory.

Latest posts