⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish i had a gold trap crack like that mate...cant seem to find anything that big here....unless there all buried?...thanx for sharing hahaha i always bring the sink and forget the plug too.... :lol:

Is anyone finding gold? .....or ya just cant be bothered posting hahaha.
5000 members all sitting around dreaming of the yella... :D
Any newbies finding a spec or two ?
I need a fresh fix ...i havent been out all week. 8.(

yobskin said:
Haha says it all mate....more digging is needed.
Owell... :lol:

Hey Yob,

Its bloody cold down here in the southern states!

We have to drill through the ice to get to the gold bearing paydirt :D

Its far easier shovelling in winter than summer once you get warmed up!

Watch this space after the Tuena congregation!

Cheers

RS

Mate,
I run the spuds under the kitchen tap to brush them for cooking. :eek:
God Help me for Tuena. :lol:

yobskin said:
Is anyone finding gold? .....or ya just cant be bothered posting hahaha.
5000 members all sitting around dreaming of the yella... :D
Any newbies finding a spec or two ?
I need a fresh fix ...i havent been out all week. 8.(
Had a bit of a play in the mullock muck today once the ice had melted with the faceless man (aka meta) on good source info. First two buckets showed a nice little piece but when you're invited you donate to the host. Not quite a picker but clear showing on the mat and a pretty little coarse piece. The real gold was not in the mats of course but in time spent prospecting with good people in the bush chatting and having a good time. What else would a bloke do but shovel clay into a box getting sprayed and sticking his hands in ice water? Reckon there's a better than average chance there's a few brothers and sisters lurking around just waiting to be washed.

Hahahaha yeah i forgot about you southerners getting frosty down there...gota say i havent seen ice up here in 20+ years...
I cant wait to see banksy clean up at tuena you lot dont stand a chance..... ;)

Howdy members!! I might get the ball rolling again on the show n tell.
Went for a quick trip out to Warwick over the long weekend ( been too flat out to post this over the past few weeks ). Decided just to do a sampling trip and left the banker at home. Managed to find a few new areas to set up on my next big trip though which was a positive. The weather was cold but manageable, which suited us as we did a lot of exploring new area's.
The gold wasn't playing ball this trip, but that's sampling I guess!
We did manage to get some colour for our trouble. Most coming from crevicing and thinking outside the box.
1435192728_image.jpg

This was the clean up for the weekend, not as much as usual, but it is nice just being out in the bush.
1435192887_image.jpg

Just enough to keep the appetite wet :D

This is a yarn of my recent alluvial exploits embellished with some photos as a result of a request by the FossickingKid to share some Hill End sights/experiences.

The day started with a visit to a spot I had been to before, there are a series of gully's flanked by aluvial working consisting of sections of surfaced areas where the oldtimers have worked down to bedrock and other areas peppered with foxholes where they were chasing small wash layers containing gold.

1435196001_image.jpg

i have found small bits of gold in both types of workings; a flake of gold trapped in the vertical shale on one side of the creek and a small nugget on the mulluck heap from one of the foxholes. My mission that day was to follow the vertical bank looking for gold that had dropped off the vertical faces as part of 'recent' erosion activity. I have had some success on these steep cutting areas with the SDC on a number of workings and as this creek was readily accessible and free of leaf litter or undergrowth it was a great oportunity to test the potential of this technique on this creek system.

1435196154_image.jpg

1435196193_image.jpg

A section of the bank caught my attention as it was uncharacteristically gravelly. A few sweeps of the SDC had me thinking ther might be a target in the gravel. After laying some of the gravel out a small target became apparent and at 0.02g one of my smallest SDC nuggets was in the bottle :D

1435196290_image.jpg

Are there any more? Is usually the next question to come to mind followed by How did it get there? Ok, out with the pick and lay a bit more down and see what is what. No joy with the SDC but I was not prepared to give up on it just yet.

The gravel could have filled an old foxhole and have been a byproduct of surface workings but there appeared to be a natural v shaped underlying clay strata indicating it may be natural. So it was the time to get serious, big pick sieves and a bucket.

1435196343_image.jpg

I have used the SDC to identify honey holes in a creek before by locating bullets and cleaning out he hole for gold and gems. So it was a natural progression to test pan this high and dry potential honey hole. The process involved following the clay layer, confirming a definite v dipping into the bank, dry sieving the material, laying out the stones and running the SDC over for nuggets. Man-o-man that stuff is hard to dig so I was lucky to get 1/4 of a tub of fines to pan off before the sweat had me looking around at he mounds of dirt moved centuries before. Tougher than me I thought :8

1435197010_image.jpg

1435196237_image.jpg

The threat of rain and the fact that I had left my rake below a hard rock mine had me sweeping the layed down gravel with the SDC and packing the fines into the truck for panning out at a later date.
1435196534_image.jpg

As no additional targets were apparent in the layed down gravel I didnt hold much hope of success but it smelt good if you know what I mean. ;)
The result is fair, possibly more than the nugget, when considering the small volume extracted and that the dip of the v was falling away at a reasonable grade. Now I can't stop thinking about the point where the v flattens out :p and what goodies it may hold.

1435196437_image.jpg

That was a great read there wally, love it. I dream of spots like that so when am I heading up with the dry blower?? :D

MJB said:
That was a great read there wally, love it. I dream of spots like that so when am I heading up with the dry blower?? :D

The only thing you need to do is turn left out of the driveway MJB, or is that right?

Just be prepared for below zero temperatures at this time of year, although the forecast only gets down to 0oC this week.

Latest posts