Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jarrahrules said:
bushpig said:
Hi all,

George from NQ Miners Den took the GPZ out over the weekend and did a small write up. :D

http://nqminersden.com/portfolios/minelab-gpz-7000/
This is from a dealer I'm afraid to say it but they won't bag out the machine they sell. Especially from what I hear the 7000 isnt that good.

Not exactly rave reviews coming through, and at least two battery / charger problems I've heard of already.
Considering the small number of units out there so far, that would represent a high failure rate !

Would like to see some " real " tests done against a 5000 with similar coils. All the glowing reports have come from vested interests so far !

I'm still about a week away from getting my first unit, then will be able to supply some feedback, warts and all !
If it doesn't perform per the glowing reports from vested interests, my second machine will then be a brand new 5000, since I still have a heap of gear for it.

Cheers,
Rick

I've busted 3 coils on my GPX4500 in two years I've owned it so if they're asking $1200 for a coil it'd better be bomb proof. Three replacement coils cost me around $800 all up for the 4500. If the price tag is accurate and you want versatility you fork out $2400 for an 11" and 20" coil. If your coils play up I wouldn't want to spend $3600 on replacement coils. That'd be an additional 6 grand spent over GPZ new cost in 2 years if I have the same experience as with the 4500. Next question is.. Are coils covered under warranty?

I will also put my hat in the ring for George's straight shooting. And Frank is a bit of a gun operator with a huge amount of experience. I know there are always vested interests but I am sure this machine will sell well regardless. I couldn't afford the carry bag for one so it doesn't bother me one way or the other. :)

Araratgold said:
Would like to see some " real " tests done against a 5000 with similar coils.

I'm still about a week away from getting my first unit, then will be able to supply some feedback, warts and all !

Rick, I'm sure people are out there busy digging targets. The comparison videos will come soon.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Well this is my take on the coils...
If you can hand out $11000 for a detector what's $1000+ for a coil? If the machine works I don't see it a issue' but then again I'm not buying one.

Ryan27 said:
Does any one know how the 7000 will go on the beach?

Using a PI at the beach is not that easy. I have used several PI's in the past.
Be warned and get ready to dig those pesky hair pins, metal screw caps,
tent pegs along with many other different types of targets.

nuggetino said:
I've busted 3 coils on my GPX4500 in two years I've owned it

Geezuz mate, you been backing over them? 8)
None covered by warranty?
NF have 3 years and Coiltek 2 years.
Not sure on the Commanders.

Wolfau said:
Ryan27 said:
Does any one know how the 7000 will go on the beach?

Using a PI at the beach is not that easy. I have used several PI's in the past.
Be warned and get ready to dig those pesky hair pins, metal screw caps,
tent pegs along with many other different types of targets.

Yep i'll second that. Stubby lids are the worst they put out a real good signal and don't seem to have carbon in them?
I've pulled about $20 in coins over 2hrs on the dry sand, the good stuff is in the water in the gullies next to sand bars.

No, that was my scooter I backed into :8 . Yeah, I have a tendancy to break anything that falls into my hands which is why I'm quick to look at worst case scenarios when I purchase anything as they usually happen to me..The 11" Commmander DD died while swinging through wet grass and the 10x5" Commander dd went in Clermont while swinging in around dense thickets. My 18x15 Detech coil stopped working after I hadn't used it for a few months. In any case I know the GPZ is too expensive when factoring in my rough nature. That could all change ofcourse with a few more nuggets in the bag :)

I would have gone for warranty in all 3 scenarios - did you contact the suppliers? Minelab, and especially Detech, don't muck around when it comes to legitimate warranty claims!

I'd contact them now if I were you

Thanks, I wasn't sure of the machines capabilities. I'm more interested in its nugget producing powers. I am planning a road trip up the east coast later in the year and will be spending a lot of time on the beach. Will be taking the new detector with me if all plans go well ...

Me and a friend paid for ours last Friday and they still have NOT sent our machines, they are just collecting dust on the shop shelf :mad:

Talk about being frustrated!

Here is a short write up of the GPZ 7000 as l see it, it is very good on small gold .2 to 2 grams in ground that a small mono coil would struggle with,it does get these nuggets at very good depths.Some people in the right goldfield ground will do very well with this detector,it pulls up gold that a 2300 can not get a signal on.It runs well in ground that a mono would struggle with, it is easier to use in this regard than a GPX. However in ground that you can run normal timings on a gpx with a mono coil of 14 inches wide, l am yet to be convinced that the GPZ can go any deeper on solid nuggets of 3 grams upwards.With the possibility of a 20 inch coil for the GPZ with its fantastic sensitivity to small gold it may well get some impressive depth advantages then,l do understand that some people experiences with the GPZ will be different to mine so far,it does pull up small nuggets at impressive depths in noisy ground.

We have 1 in stock, just waiting for someone to buy it..:)

Cheers.
Lee.
Toys and Things
Piccadilly centre, Wollongong, NSW.

bushpig said:
jarrahrules said:
bushpig said:
Hi all,

George from NQ Miners Den took the GPZ out over the weekend and did a small write up. :D

http://nqminersden.com/portfolios/minelab-gpz-7000/
This is from a dealer I'm afraid to say it but they won't bag out the machine they sell. Especially from what I hear the 7000 isnt that good.

Who did you hear that from I would like to see that report?
Some people don't like to post on forums. I can't say who they are but he said watch this space as many people will sell the 7000 and go back to the 5000. He knows someone already and two people who r canceling there order for one.

Latest posts