Underwater detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My nox 800 is still awaiting warranty replacement, and I've been looking at options for a detector I can take deeper under water now that I have a hookah.

My first go to was the excalibur 2, however bbbs seems to struggle with gold chains and looks like its going to be replaced by multi iq. I looked at the much cheaper pulsedive with the bigger coils, but it seems even less sensitive on gold chains. You can see the theme here, I hate the idea of a detector that's missing gold.

The nox could pick gold chains in salt water which is amazing, is there anything which can handle a 6m depth and still hit small gold?

Garret Infinium is an older model you may find at a good price, No discrimination though.. The sea Hunter MKII may suit and has some discrimination.

goldtrapper said:
Garret Infinium is an older model you may find at a good price, No discrimination though.. The sea Hunter MKII may suit and has some discrimination.

These older Garrett PI detectors could certainly handle the water depth and are very good general purpose salt water machines, but in my experience with them both, sensitivity to small and/or low conductance targets (most gold chains are both), is not a strong point. They love silver and would find most gold rings I guess, but I doubt they'd be close to an Equinox for sensitivity.

Yeah it seems there's a real gap in the market for a high sensitivty under water machine

Perth Tim said:
Yeah it seems there's a real gap in the market for a high sensitivty under water machine

If you can keep to shallower depths, the SDC2300 would certainly have the sensitivity, but it's only rated to 3m/10ft.

grubstake said:
Perth Tim said:

If you can keep to shallower depths, the SDC2300 would certainly have the sensitivity, but it's only rated to 3m/10ft.

The problem I'm seeing is depth isn't constant, I can go to 2m, but if a big wave goes overhead there's 3m+ pressure on the detector for a moment. I want to get way out and scoop up those rings and chains other's miss!!

Perth Tim said:
grubstake said:
Perth Tim said:

The problem I'm seeing is depth isn't constant, I can go to 2m, but if a big wave goes overhead there's 3m+ pressure on the detector for a moment. I want to get way out and scoop up those rings and chains other's miss!!

You're in Perth like me, mate. Unfortunately, others figured out the way our beaches and tides move sand around and hit the deeper water with hookahs years ago. I've seen some of the pics - you would not believe the quantity of jewellery recovered! :/
It's also shark territory out there. :(

I can imagine what it'd be like to be the first person to hit a beach. Nothings ever fully hunted out though, I recover green crusty coins every single time I go out and that's with everyman and his dog hunting the waist deep areas, and if I'm finding that then there's old gold still out there

goldtrapper said:
Well now that you have put everyone else onto it I hope you get there first. :Y:

Haha - it's a big coastline, and no ones getting rich off this. I do it for the fun of it mostly.

Still love the shiney stuff though :p

Perth Tim said:
goldtrapper said:
Well now that you have put everyone else onto it I hope you get there first. :Y:

Haha - it's a big coastline, and no ones getting rich off this. I do it for the fun of it mostly.

Tim have you thought about an Excalibur 2 , its good to about 60 metres , dont know if you want to go that deep but it works beautifully at depth ?

Danny13 said:
Perth Tim said:
goldtrapper said:

Tim have you thought about an Excalibur 2 , its good to about 60 metres , dont know if you want to go that deep but it works beautifully at depth ?
Yeah it's on the list, from what i can see though its out matched by the nox on fine gold which is a shame

Perth Tim said:
Danny13 said:
Perth Tim said:
goldtrapper said:

Yeah it's on the list, from what i can see though its out matched by the nox on fine gold which is a shame
Yeah thats right on a fine gold chain . All depends how deep you want to go , if your intending to go below 3 or 4 meters then the excal might be the go :). I only use it for detecting deeper areas and use the Knox or CTX for 3 meters and above and beach sand ?

Latest posts