Show us your camp set-up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The antenna is a HF auto tune antenna base, usually with a 2-3m long stainless whip antenna on top.
And amature radio license is need to operate them. But highly recommended for when out in the middle of whoop whoop if you don't want to use a satphone

BrisJoe said:
The antenna is a HF auto tune antenna base, usually with a 2-3m long stainless whip antenna on top.
And amature radio license is need to operate them. But highly recommended for when out in the middle of whoop whoop if you don't want to use a satphone

No special licence is required you only need subscribe to VKS-737 to get allocated a call sign and you have a choice of seven frequencies ..... http://www.vks737.on.net/

casper

Yes, it's an auto tune aerial with the whip removed. Connected to a Barrett 550 HF radio. Being a member of VKS-737 includes your licence (Costs can be found in Casper's link above.) is extremely handy in remote areas. Has the ability to use radio connect for emergency calls to a land line. No call charges.
We have found that Alice Springs base is most common contact while in the WA outback, on occasions have talked to Derby, Tasmania and of course Perth.
When you are allocated a callsign eg: Mobile 1234 you also get a sellcall number, in this case it would be 1234. This gives you the added advantage of being able to send messages to other VKS-737 members or base stations.

This is mine, had her since 1985, with some up to date additions, Don't let her fool you, she keeps beer, cold, cooks a leg a lamb, boils a billy, gives you a hot shower, phones home, and packs up in about 5 minutes. HF's are good, I haven't put mine back in for 18 months, I updated to the 2050 but I found the patronage dwindling a little on VKS, with all the other networks running now and the sat phone scheme. The 2019 goes on the back between the tyres. Good to see you haven't got it on the bull bar, they do seem to attract the wildlife doing a 100.

1390817687_camp.jpg

condor22 said:
I think you'll find it's the base of a HF antenna. Probably about the 2MHz range, used way out bush by RFDS and emergency coms. Huge long antenna.

If memory serves you have to have a licence and have done a RT course to use one.

Your right, but wrong setup, you need that for VHF, not HF.

Hi Village, Suits us the dwindling patronage, we actually cut back our use because when ever you wanted to log in and report your position you had to listen in line and sometimes miss the sked while every man/woman and their dog telling the base station about their "mothers ducks."
Hope more and more take their new fangled gadgets & Sat Phones with them so we can get back to reality with VKS-737.

Nightjar said:
Hi Village, Suits us the dwindling patronage, we actually cut back our use because when ever you wanted to log in and report your position you had to listen in line and sometimes miss the sked while every man/woman and their dog telling the base station about their "mothers ducks."
Hope more and more take their new fangled gadgets & Sat Phones with them so we can get back to reality with VKS-737.

Well don't like your chances there, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure the likes of the grey nomads and alike are more then likely the biggest user group. Last time I really used it, GPS positioning was anytime and pretty much just a couple of key punches. I find even most of the stations now, don't really monitor it.

1391545237_img_0008.jpg

this set up served us well for dig of 3mths a few years back at tomahawk creek CQ
1391545365_img_0001.jpg

the mighty bush shower was an essential bit of the kit after a dusty days dig nothing better than a good hot shower
1391545542_img_0009.jpg

we rigged up some bush tripods for sieving and got good results about 20 cutters each for the season
1391545772_img_0019.jpg

an old umbrella and a 44 drum for a sort table did the trick all sourced at the local tip
1391545935_img_0004.jpg

the local wildlife was friendly enough
1391545990_img_0006.jpg

sometimes a bit too friendly

Village said:
This is mine, had her since 1985, with some up to date additions, Don't let her fool you, she keeps beer, cold, cooks a leg a lamb, boils a billy, gives you a hot shower, phones home, and packs up in about 5 minutes. HF's are good, I haven't put mine back in for 18 months, I updated to the 2050 but I found the patronage dwindling a little on VKS, with all the other networks running now and the sat phone scheme. The 2019 goes on the back between the tyres. Good to see you haven't got it on the bull bar, they do seem to attract the wildlife doing a 100.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1900/1390817687_camp.jpg

re the jerry cans on the roof , is it white for diesel and blue for water ?

is there an aussie standard for jerry can colours btw ?

looks like you have the vehicle well sorted.

Cans should be to Australian Standard AS2906:2001
Accepted Colours are, Plastic=

Red for Petrol
Yellow for Diesel
White for water

I do have 3 military green plastic 20l jerries, they are marked for water only.
I also have 2 x 10l steel military green jerries for the genny using ULP.

The important thing is that a good jerry (plastic or metal) should have the recommended use stamped or moulded onto it. Military green steel jerries could have ULP or Diesel, but should have an ID tag stating the contents. Military Green plastic jerries should only be used for water.

I guess in an emergency colour isn't the important factor.

HeadsUp said:
Village said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1900/1390817687_camp.jpg

re the jerry cans on the roof , is it white for diesel and blue for water ?

is there an aussie standard for jerry can colours btw ?

looks like you have the vehicle well sorted.

Red for Petrol
Yellow for Diesel
White for water

condor22 said:
Cans should be to Australian Standard AS2906:2001
Accepted Colours are, Plastic=

Red for Petrol
Yellow for Diesel
White for water

I do have 3 military green plastic 20l jerries, they are marked for water only.
I also have 2 x 10l steel military green jerries for the genny using ULP.

The important thing is that a good jerry (plastic or metal) should have the recommended use stamped or moulded onto it. Military green steel jerries could have ULP or Diesel, but should have an ID tag stating the contents. Military Green plastic jerries should only be used for water.

I guess in an emergency colour isn't the important factor.

Yeah I don't know I thought diesel went to beige

Latest posts