Yabbra State Forest, NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this vast area? I'm Considering driving down from Brisbane shortly to try with a pan and sluice. Any experiences?

Sorry mate cant help but have seen from old records alot of Gold came out of those hills
I for one would be very interested in how you go out there
Being from Brisbane have you thought about the Warrick gold fields as well

I printed an A3 of the map earlier to study the topographic lines for any clues. Yeah I couldn't find anything about anyone's results. Thought of Warick but areas so small. In NSW you can explore entire state forests. If I go I will post back. Just whipping up a second sluice of of timber and a cheap door mat from coles, it's miners moss on a rubber backing so should be ideal. Hope there is some running water in the ravines.

If you go soon (1-2 weeks max)water wont be a problem due to the rain
But the gullys stop flowing quick plenty in the rivers but
I took 100lts in a few drums i have as a back up.
Also a GPS will be your best friend down here as i discovered most fire trails/tracks on the map are extremely hard to find due to being over grown and my GPS was invaluable in locating them.
The ute has more then a few new scratches on her but well worth it and i didnt even find any Gold :D

Reece, if it isn't too far from you, you might have to do a recon of the Warwick area first.

Even if all you take is a pick and a pan, or just a metal detector. You can try a few spots and come back with more gear later.

Any spots in Warick you recommend/ areas? So no gold in Yabbra anyone has brought up yet? I in a forester, so would go in via foot.

Um,
Straight from the site.
In speaking to the Rangers down here,
Any where you want as long as you leave it the way it was and adhere to Fire restrictions,,
Camping is permitted in all State forests (except for Cumberland and Strickland State forests). Camping is generally not permitted in picnic areas. Exceptions are rest areas in places where major highways pass through State forests.

I am keen to check out the area aswell. i went panning on a mates property just to the east of the haystack mt. new years day had no luck, though i have been told to the west of the mountain is where most of the deposits are. Tooloom area is mostly private and has been known to produce some good gold. there are a few areas between tooloom and pretty gully that look worth while. Also Ewingar is worth a look, I went out there a couple of weeks ago looking for crystals, i decided to do two test pans and found 7 colours. will be heading back there soon for a dedicated look for gold....

good luck

plenty of water in the area, the state forest map above has all the old mine sights marked out. theres one just north of pretty gully in the yabbra forest i will be checking out. We wont go into drought for a month or so, well so it has been for the last few years.

let me know when your thinking of heading down. i get sundays off, so could come out for a look. i will have my Garrett AT gold in a couple of weeks too. :D

Good stuff, will keep you posted. I'll either be panning and scouting or running the sluice given its near flowing water. Yabbra forest only 2.5 hr from Brisbane so not to far for an overnighter camp

Id be keen too got a bit of time at the moment
Was going to Head back out Drake this weekend but Cooly Rocks is on

Latest posts