Xterra 705 finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Heatho...I found the other bit of the braclet the other day...I was wondering where the rest was :D
Yes Silver it cleans them fast...1 or 2 mins max for those 6 pences...any longer and it would start to eat them :eek: Even the old penny i found today cleand up ok...Its still very corroded but i could read the date 1924 :D

8) Smokey, ya gotta change your fluids once you've done copper I believe , before you put more silver in again. ;)

silver said:
8) Smokey, ya gotta change your fluids once you've done copper I believe , before you put more silver in again. ;)
Yes you do Silver...i change it after each coin...it gets pretty mucky :D

All the old coins ive been getting are all very corroded broken or pitted..Had a 10 min hunt yesterday afternoon with my young son..YES we found ANOTHER penny...Decided to experiment with the electrolesses bath to see what would happen to the copper...I left it in there for around 5 mins as it was quite crusty....Hit it with the missus tooth brush (na just kiddin dear)......an old tooth brush...with some bicarb of soda
1485730669_20170129_165600-600x800.jpg
1485730683_20170129_165917_001-600x800.jpg
1485730698_20170130_064902-600x800.jpg
1485730711_20170130_064914-600x800.jpg
It came up pretty good for how it looked before it was electricuted :It does look pitted..but i think that is how it was...and the pits were just cleaned out by the electrolesses...Fun experiment anyway..Happy hunting all :D

8) Even good looking pennies end up pitted(during electrolysis) Smokey, cause it rips away all the copper oxide (read patina) that happens(builds up) naturally over time when copper is exposed to oxygen in the atmosphere, including that within the dirt too ! It (copper) only stops oxidizing when the copper oxide seals off the copper to the oxygen. ;) :D

Cheers Silver...It was the best one ive found so far...even got a couple that crumbled in my hand when i tryed to wipe them with my thumb.. :eek: :D

Nice having a go to place for PD's when all fails :cool: keep digging the junk out of there and more will pop out ;)
There's got to be a florin there somewhere 8) nice silvers there Somky :cool:

I'm hoping someone can help me here.

Can pre-decimal coins be found in public parks or are you guys finding then in private fields. I have quite a few parks locally but they just seem to be have turned over every few years with upgrades and kids playgrounds.

Just scratching my head as to what type of park to look for. I did some research on one of the local parks and it used to be used for festivals and fairs back in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I'm guessing that would be a decent Park to have a go at but I would like some advice as to what to look out for or how to go about in finding a place that could yield something.

I know living in a big city like Sydney gives me limited options but any advice would be appreciated.

Hi boulders.....Im no expert...and i still haven't found a pd in a park yet but there are a few guys here that find them all the time..You need to find the old parks...the ones that people went to in the early 1900s...Sounds like you have done that....Just remember that the pd coins will most probs be deeper than alot of the junk....If you are finding old school pull tabs...Then you probably in the right place...Good luck :D

I hope so B5...Im going for a look now :D Keep searching Roy youll get one...It is a great feeling when you see it come out of the ground :D

Nice smoky, another penny from penny paddock 8)
Love watchin your experiments with electrolysis ;)

And boulders research is the key, which im sure you are doing plenty of, it sounds like you have found a decent park to start searching, and as to where exactly to find em in that park is anyones guess, ya just gotta start swinging and once you find 1 or 2 then id start concentrating a little more in that area. And as smoky said the pd's could be deeper (but not always, im pretty sure silver found a florin sunbaking one day 8) :D ) then the rest of the stuff so dont be affraid to dig those high scratchy tones, im no expert and ther are more experienced members here then myself but that is my experience, hope this helps :)

Hey Tribsa..I was just talking to the the old neighbour...I was telling him about my recent finds in penny paddock..... He started telling me that he built his house in 1980....And our house wasn't even built ....it was all bush....he also said...that just before our house was built around 1982.....alot of trucks filled the first 3 acres with land fill...So all the coins have come in the truck's land fill...Will never know where they come from... Could explain why they are all corroded :D

Boulders said:
I'm hoping someone can help me here.

Can pre-decimal coins be found in public parks or are you guys finding then in private fields. I have quite a few parks locally but they just seem to be have turned over every few years with upgrades and kids playgrounds.

Just scratching my head as to what type of park to look for. I did some research on one of the local parks and it used to be used for festivals and fairs back in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I'm guessing that would be a decent Park to have a go at but I would like some advice as to what to look out for or how to go about in finding a place that could yield something.

I know living in a big city like Sydney gives me limited options but any advice would be appreciated.

Yes you can find pre decimals in parks you just need to do some research for older parks They will come with time

Sometimes pre-decimals can be found in areas you least expect to find them, just a case of testing an area to see what turns up. Some parks are built on rubbishy fill, so if you are digging modern junk a foot down, probably time to move on. Something simple like checking out the age of the housing around the perimeter of parks will give you an indication on whether they might be prospective for pre-decs or not. Always investigate deeper targets, even if they do not offer decent ID's (or none at all), they may prove to be deep older coins, especially small silvers.

Also ensure when you do electrolysis, do not use stainless steel for an anode. It will result in toxic fumes, better off using a plain steel bolt or similar. ;)

Another option is to use a gem/rock tumbler on the really corroded coins, cleans them up real well, and doesn't damage them too much (depending on the medium used).

Latest posts