XP Derp (XP Deus)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok so after a futile visit to Chewton a few days ago (despite research) I decided I'd like to dig up things which weren't either 12 gauge bases or 22 casings.
Back to my favourite site but trying some spots I haven't hit before. Not a lot for something like 4 hours at it. On the upside the moon was incredibly bright.
1443151630_24_sep_15_cp_deus.jpg

Please don't hate on me for clipping both the 1888 penny and a Queen Victoria 3 pence.. I still feel crap but I am working in very bad light at the best of times.
On the upside I got 2 x 1888 pennies from different spots on the same night? The 3 pence is probably 1890's or later based on the Queen's head on the otherside, I seriously doubt I'll get the date off the front.
BTW has anyone dug a decent Comm penny or half penny lately? Everything I dig, like the 1927 here, has coin cancer... or whatever you call it.
Finally, who the hell brings surf fishing weights into a park in Melbourne?

Nice array of coins there Robert,.. and what sort of pointer are you using ?, and,.. your on the silver as well, good little hunt. :D

thanks Silver. I am using the Minelab Profind at the moment because it works most of the time. My favourite is however the second hand Garrett Propointer that came with the CTX when I bought it - however the Propointer is just about stuffed, in its defence I have used the sh*t out of it because I find it easier to use in the dark and I like the feel of it better.
I got a Deteknix Diver last week but it doesn't seem as sensitive as the Garrett or Minelab doing air tests (and yes air tests are generally not to be relied upon).
The Deteknix I am taking into the water soon and that's what it's for - hopefully reduce some time fanning targets in low viz.

My pro pointer must be just about wearing through at the end I recon,.... I should give it a coating of epoxy resin before it does wear down too far,.. still working well though(the on off button has had its moments though, some times,... always comes good in the end).Next one I buy will be the garret water proof one for in the water at the beach. :)

two hour hunt last night in the same spot as the previous finds.

everything in the red box came out of the same hole - a real mixed bag. I couldn't believe it... like clowns jumping out of a small car.
The spill was the second target after I turned on the detector - the first was the army button.
1443480193_28_sep_15_k.jpg

ok so it was a real "mixed bag" ... Aussie coins mixed in with French & Argentinian. Love the facial hair on Napoleon III, in fact I love that name.
1443480271_28_sep_15_f.jpg

can't figure the button out. Does it say "MFB"? In which case is it "Metropolitan Fire Brigade"?
1443480349_28_sep_15_c.jpg

Toy soldier, I'm guessing African?
1443480390_28_sep_15_e.jpg

Help needed here please. Queen Vic penny compared to what I think is a Queen Vic coin but too small to be a penny and too large to be a half penny.
Any ideas?
1443480464_28_sep_15_a.jpg

Rocket - I checked and it's too big for a farthing but Ramjet I reckon you're 'on the money' (sorry couldn't resist) as the coin measures exactly 28mm across.
Wish I could get more details off the coin.

Top hunting Robert,... I like the soldier,.. and the coin mystery.
Looks like the two 1919s may have been strung together(somebodys birth year).
lost sometime after 1950,... depends on the wear on that 1950 1/2d I suppose, as to how long after 1950 it was still in circulation.
And that French coin is 151 years old :eek: ,... what a great little loss/stash you scored(red box finds) there. :D

I've found quite a few coins on this site that have been pierced for jewelry or in on case cut up. I still can't explain the massive date range in one hole.
My wife asked if someone had deliberately buried them as a sort of joke but no one else knows exactly where I've been hunting and the ground was very hard.

Off to Chewton tomorrow but this time on private property where old horse shoes and nails have been found - I'm hoping it's an old house site or at least a stable.
Last visit to Chewton was a complete failure.

thanks for the comments guys - Treasureman I am loving the Deus in full but platonic way.
I have a friend who is struggling to choose between a CTX or a Deus, he's nearly saved enough for either (has enough for an XP Deus right now).
He keeps asking me which is best... correct answer is they're both very good machines but both very different in so many ways. I'm not a helpful friend :p

My wife notices that the CTX hasn't been out for a while (she could take it out of course) and that the Deus is my weapon of choice for night time work.
She suggested that maybe I should sell them.... 8) And yes that does sound appealing given the trouble I had finding them in Australia, however I don't have the capital to invest in that kind of thing. Otherwise I am happy with mine and would sell them if the bank looked a lot better than it does.

I didn't get to Chewton due to a late night migraine that hurt a lot and wouldn't p*ss off even with some good medication. But I did get out last night.
1443652315_30_sep_15_cp_b.jpg

Nothing particularly old but the badge was the second good target - I found another patch worth working.
The reverse of the badge says "Issued by the State Emergency Council" one of the two eyelets is missing and I'm guessing that's how the badge ended up in the dirt. Somewhere there's a dusty old book that records the name of the person to whom "BB910" belongs.
1443652332_30_sep_15_cp_a.jpg

Nice set of finds( with a couple of small straights ),....did the two older halfpennys come from the new patch worth working ? And that badge is a beauty,... There's probably a skinny old man waiting patiently behind an old wooden desk ready to look for that dusty old book somewhere in a quiet dimly lit dusty unvisited library, with row upon row of ancient wooden shelving stacked from floor to ceiling, just full of really old one off editions( including untold volumes of unknown coastal sunken boats and ships, and one off gem and nugget finds with no follow up feilds eventuating,... eva )that only he knows about now,... he's probably been long forgotten by the beaurocracy and is now easily in his 40th year past retirement age( if not longer ), and he'll more than likely be only too happy to help you out,... if only anyone knew that phone number ! :eek:
And,.... he'll probably still be in the same job in another 50 years. :)

Latest posts