wish me luck on my first fossicking adventure

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aadelaidean

Debra and Daryl
Reaction score
Hi all I am finally ready to go on my first fossicking adventure. I will drag my hubby with me to Mt Crawford in South Australia which is about 45 minutes from where we live so its not too far to lug all our gold home...lol...I have been researching for months so I hope I recognise the gold or gems when they are staring at me..I have attached a photo of my equipment so you guys can have a laugh and I havn,t forgot the bum bag for the lollies as shown in WalnLiz video.. wish me luck and I will report back about my adventure .......Cheers Debra
1369711604_fossicking_tools-768045556.jpg

Best of luck out there Debra and don't forget to throw a pack of Asprin into that Bum Bag. You don't want hubby to stop digging with a lame excuse like a head ache...and don't forget to crack the whip. The more dirt you move the more gold and gems you get.

Cheers wal. :)

Well all seems in order, good luck on your hunt for the precious metal and gems, you look like your ready for a month long expedition!

Good luck Deb & hubby.
Was it today you were going or an other day?

Looking forward to your report

Good luck on the hunt and photos of the trip, don't forget.
One thing I was taught was with a new metal pan, burn it. What I mean about that is make a fie and wait until the coals form and put your metal pan on the coals upside down.
Why? When they make the new pans they usually have a coating of fine oil on the pan, so to stop the gold getting coated with oil and floating away, burn it off in the coals.
Cheers
Brad....

I am not seeing any snuffer bottle or vials for your gold and other lovelies, agree with Headbut17 Grab a rock pick/hammer, I found one for $19 at the local camping store.. make it easier to dig out the hard to dig places.. You could also throw in a paint brush or a small dust pan and brush for the loose dry dirt at the bottom of the crevices/holes..

Looks like a good kit to get you going, my only suggestion would be a $2 plastic hand trowel/scoop for working with the detector, the metal one might set the detector off....if it doesn't, take the detector back to the shop.

Good luck with it, its always exciting. My tip would be to toss a few hands full of gravel into you pan and rough it up a bit not to scratch it up but just to knock the shinny edge of it. As said above you need a container for your treasures.

Just for some possible ideas, here's my starting out gear (some isn't shown in this pic). The pile's grown quite a bit since then but I usually mix and match depending on when and where I'm going.

1369746682_my-tools2.jpg

Nah I just sleep out in the shed and store all my stuff up in the house, plenty of room that way :lol:

Mke sure you have a good time on your little adventure :) and the best of luck,
don't forget to take plenty water and snacks plus a hat.....
Cheers Dave.....

Latest posts