Wireless headphone information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've left it too late for something for xmas buy having difficulties understanding how they work, just can't find specs :rolleyes:
I've now seen them for both the ATGold and Makro but if I wanted to set up both for wireless can I buy the modules separate then buy headphones that will work with both?
Will all wireless headphones and ear sets work with any module?
http://md-hunter.com/wireless-headphones-for-garrett-at-new-2016/
http://www.metaldetector.com/makro-racer-2-2-4-gigahertz-bluetooth-headphones-and-wireless-module
Couldn't find the Makro picture at Phase Tech

I need to understand about them before I think about what machine to set up or can I do both using the same head phones with different moguls or any wireless headphones?
So would need to get just the moguls first then look for headphones

I was looking to get this set from Nenad for the GPX - Not sure on the connections for the ATGold & Makro if you cant find the one you need - you might even be able to purchase the phasetech/deteknix and get an adaptor

http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/deteknix-wirefree-kit/

Pretty good look system though - module nice and sleek and compact, making it easy and not bulky fitting to the detector - and receiver somewhere mounted to you with your headphones pluggeg in.

Best bet would be chat to Nenad - and query him on best solution.

I would presume that 1 module is for 1 receiver and plug your headphones in - and the other option would be 1 module is for 1 wireless set of headphones which has the receiver built in for that module.

The Makro has a special module that slides in a slot in the control unit but is different from that one which is similar to the ATGold one but the ATG one has a waterproof screw connection
Just wondering since it is bluetooth can any headset with a built in receiver connect to any module?

If it is bluetooth, any bluetooth headset should be able to pair the machine with what ever you want to pair with.

Not sure on the Bluetooth function on the Makro - I guess there would be an option - turn on bluetooth, and find devices etc when it finds the bluetooth headphones you would simply allow connection ie pair with device.

I think because there so new to metal detecting is the reason there is no specifications for them listed :/
Some things say there wireless but does that mean bluetooth

Just be aware that when a lot of these devices say that they use 2.4ghz Wireless they may be using a 2.4 Ghz proprietary radio frequency (RF) that isn't Bluetooth although similar in that they do use RF also. Due to Bluetooth being the most known/popular "branding" some devices mistakenly get referred to as being Bluetooth.
These devices typically include their own wireless transmitters & receivers that are specific to that brand & aren't Bluetooth compatible.
Only Bluetooth compatible devices will pair so if you have Bluetooth headphones you'd need a compatible Bluetooth transmitter. This should be easily checked in the specs with Bluetooth 4.0 being the minimum now recommended.
Not being Bluetooth shouldn't detract from the other available devices though. There are some very good, low latency units around & also the "Kleer" technology used by TDK.
Don't quote me & Nenad could answer this but I think the Deteknix ones are not compatible with Bluetooth. They are their own proprietary RF device - I could be wrong though? They also have one of the lowest claimed latencies available. You can also buy the new wireless headphones separately (according to Deteknix site) so I'm assuming that if you already have the Deteknix wireless transmitter/receiver kit that the headphones will work with that transmitter. Likewise if you get the headphones with transmitter you can also purchase a receiver separately for other headphones or speaker/booster?
If you are after Bluetooth I can recommend the Avantree Saturn Pro low latency units. They give no noticeable lag, are very compact & have good battery life (8hrs+). I have used these on numerous detectors now & found that the only one detector that I had issues with was the GPZ with a background noise. Maybe due to the inbuilt wireless even though turned off?

Yeah you would need to query them on the type of wireless technology in their units, more modern wireless is Bluetooth used in the 2000's onwards as it was developed in 1994.

Older technology still widely used today, for applications of radio wireless technology include GPS units, garage door openers, wireless computer mice, keyboards and headsets, headphones, radio receivers and cordless telephones etc

Bluetooth can allow multiple connections without synchronizing issues.

Just because it says wireless I wouldnt think that it would be bluetooth - most companies state bluetooth connection if it is - I guess that's why it just say wireless which would mean the module and receiver (Receiver would be in their headphones) are specific to each other.

Hope this helps

Okay here's a bit of an overview of the various systems that I stock.

To be wireless you need a transmitter and a receiver. In the Minelab gpz & ctx the transmitter is built into the unit. In the Makro Racer 2 & Gold Racer you have a separate transmitter/dongle that slides into the side of the control box. This is supplied with the Makro Wireless headphones. Note: these only work on the Racer 2 and Gold Racer. (Red Racer uses Bluetooth.)

The advantage of these "built-in" transmitter systems is that they don't need to be charged, they just run off the detectors main power supply. The disadvantage is that you can only transmit to the supplied wireless receiver unit, i.e WM10 (ctx), WM12 (gpz) or Marko headphones. The other disadvantage is that you cannot use this system on another detector.

A universal wireless system like the Deteknix WireFree system and now the Minelab Pro Sonic is that the transmitter plugs into a 1/4" headphone socket, so can be used on any machine.

Deteknix have a few different systems. All come with a transmitter with 1/4" plug or Garrett AT Connector (slightly more expensive).

WireFree Lite - these are the light weight, small, on ear headphone. Excellent for hot conditions and for coin detecting.

WireFree Pro - these are the full size headphones, better sound quality and much better noise isolation than the Lites.

WireFree WR - this is the wireless kit, transmitter and receiver units (no headphones). This is great for people who already have their preferred set of headphones or booster/speaker combos but just don't wish to be connected to their detector. Also great if you wish to use earbud phones which generally have short flimsy cables.

All the Deteknix wirefree products use 2.4 Ghz wireless technology, not Bluetooth. Bluetooth has a bad delay, supposedly much better in the low latency versions, but the other thing I dislike about Bluetooth is that it transfers compressed/mp3 style audio.

All the WireFree products are interchangeable. I.e. if you bought the Lite headphones for a Garrett AT, you could buy a 1/4" Transmitter only and use your existing Lite headphones on another detector.

Hope that helps explain it.

PhaseTech said:
All the Deteknix wirefree products use 2.4 Ghz wireless technology, not Bluetooth. Bluetooth has a bad delay, supposedly much better in the low latency versions, but the other thing I dislike about Bluetooth is that it transfers compressed/mp3 style audio.
Agree especially with older Bluetooth technology/versions but newer Bluetooth especially with technologies such as "low latency aptX" have a vastly improved sound quality to near wired or even comparable to wired sound & no delay or lag (that is human detectable).
I don't sell them just use them. When I did purchase the Avantrees there was only a not so good Jaycar product available so went with them & they have been excellent. If the Deteknix had been available I would have most likely went that way & if the Avantrees fail would get them.
Bluetooth has come a long way from the laggy poor quality sound days as has most other proprietary RF wireless technology.

mbasko said:
Just be aware that when a lot of these devices say that they use 2.4ghz Wireless they may be using a 2.4 Ghz proprietary radio frequency (RF) that isn't Bluetooth although similar in that they do use RF also. Due to Bluetooth being the most known/popular "branding" some devices mistakenly get referred to as being Bluetooth.
These devices typically include their own wireless transmitters & receivers that are specific to that brand & aren't Bluetooth compatible.
Only Bluetooth compatible devices will pair so if you have Bluetooth headphones you'd need a compatible Bluetooth transmitter. This should be easily checked in the specs with Bluetooth 4.0 being the minimum now recommended.
Not being Bluetooth shouldn't detract from the other available devices though. There are some very good, low latency units around & also the "Kleer" technology used by TDK.
Don't quote me & Nenad could answer this but I think the Deteknix ones are not compatible with Bluetooth. They are their own proprietary RF device - I could be wrong though? They also have one of the lowest claimed latencies available. You can also buy the new wireless headphones separately (according to Deteknix site) so I'm assuming that if you already have the Deteknix wireless transmitter/receiver kit that the headphones will work with that transmitter. Likewise if you get the headphones with transmitter you can also purchase a receiver separately for other headphones or speaker/booster?
If you are after Bluetooth I can recommend the Avantree Saturn Pro low latency units. They give no noticeable lag, are very compact & have good battery life (8hrs+). I have used these on numerous detectors now & found that the only one detector that I had issues with was the GPZ with a background noise. Maybe due to the inbuilt wireless even though turned off?
Ahhh, I think I understand, I think I've read to many different things on the internet so make's it confusing especially when there is no specs charts on them, It's becoming hard to even find an ohm rating on them
So the grey ghost cordless are locked to the xp dues frequency and that's why I don't see a module

PhaseTech said:
Okay here's a bit of an overview of the various systems that I stock.

To be wireless you need a transmitter and a receiver. In the Minelab gpz & ctx the transmitter is built into the unit. In the Makro Racer 2 & Gold Racer you have a separate transmitter/dongle that slides into the side of the control box. This is supplied with the Makro Wireless headphones. Note: these only work on the Racer 2 and Gold Racer. (Red Racer uses Bluetooth.)

The advantage of these "built-in" transmitter systems is that they don't need to be charged, they just run off the detectors main power supply. The disadvantage is that you can only transmit to the supplied wireless receiver unit, i.e WM10 (ctx), WM12 (gpz) or Marko headphones. The other disadvantage is that you cannot use this system on another detector.

A universal wireless system like the Deteknix WireFree system and now the Minelab Pro Sonic is that the transmitter plugs into a 1/4" headphone socket, so can be used on any machine.

Deteknix have a few different systems. All come with a transmitter with 1/4" plug or Garrett AT Connector (slightly more expensive).

WireFree Lite - these are the light weight, small, on ear headphone. Excellent for hot conditions and for coin detecting.

WireFree Pro - these are the full size headphones, better sound quality and much better noise isolation than the Lites.

WireFree WR - this is the wireless kit, transmitter and receiver units (no headphones). This is great for people who already have their preferred set of headphones or booster/speaker combos but just don't wish to be connected to their detector. Also great if you wish to use earbud phones which generally have short flimsy cables.

All the WireFree products are interchangeable. I.e. if you bought the Lite headphones for a Garrett AT, you could buy a 1/4" Transmitter only and use your existing Lite headphones on another detector.

Hope that helps explain it.
Thanks Nenad
So doing the Makro with the factory one won't allow the headphones to talk to the deteknix module but if I went for the deteknix modules on the ATG and Makro would be the best way to do it
Is the factory Makro wireless headphones a better unit than the detecknix set?
Thanks guys I'm glad I asked, been wasting my time reading about products I can't use :8

Yes you could get a Deteknix set of headphones (pro or lite) and 2 transmitters, one with 1/4" plug and one with Garrett connector.

In terms of headphones quality, I say the Deteknix Pro are the best, then the Makro, then the Deteknix Lites.

Thanks Mr T, hadn't seen that one, seems like there all starting to go down the wireless road now :)
coming soon hmmm :cool:

I bought the Wire free set from Phase Technical about a month ago. All I can say is fantastic, gone are the days of having earbuds ripped from my head and no more hookups on my finds bag or pinpointer.
I'd recommend these to anyone.

Daggy

Are the deteknix wireless phones available with a 3.5mm jack for the transmitter, or do you need to modify/ use an adaptor for units with a 3.5?

Sorry, just read some previous posts, looks like just the 1/4 inch.

Latest posts