Who Sleeps In Their Vehicle?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was out last May in the gT, I had 3 mornings where the green wooden table at the camp was white with frost.

It was 0 deg C inside my van. Would not have wanted to be in a car........

This keeps me out of the elements and away from the yowies.
Condensation is a pain in the arse in winter, spent a few -3 nights in it last year out on the goldfields.
Curtains block out any light.

Fridge is flush with height of bed.
Can fit a full size walbanker, commercial chainsaw, shovels, buckets, layflat hose, detector bag, chainsaw bag, milk crate etc etc.
Drawer holds cooking gear, food and some tools.
Throw a mattress on top and i sleep down the middle with my feet through the front seats (im 6'4)

Bit of a hoodeeny to get in and out, but is perfect for my needs.
Midnight slash into an old protein container.

Detector goes on top as do any fishing rods.

Side compartments are hinged and house a tarp and whatever else (jackets, rope etc)

1424866732_image.jpg

It depends on the car. I've been forced to sleep in a VW Golf near Krueger park in South Africa. Just crappy plastic seats which didn't recline and my old man next to me who had horrible gas from eating a seafood pizza earlier that day. Couldn't open the windows to let out the stench due to the presence of malaria carrying mosquitos and we had no repellent. It was near 30 degrees and humid that night and the plastic seats did a nice job of collecting a pooling mass of sweat. We didn't sleep that night despite the Jet lag we'd accumulated arriving a day earlier in Johannesburg.

As for my current car, well I sleep/live in my van at the moment and comfort wise it's no different to my house. Have a top quality king single mattress in the back. I have the advantage of having a pop top with fly mesh all round so no fogging up at night and plenty air flow. A 12v fan blowing on me on the hot nights keeps me plenty cool.
16487829726_a5cbe03153_c.jpg

My worst night in a car was me and my brother, both 6' in a Ford 105E Anglia, no blankets, no sleeping bag, no recliners and bloody cold. Location Dunkeld, Vic 1968

Started the car every 2 hrs to warm up. Not much sleep. Bloody long time ago and one I'll never forget....

grubstake said:
Westaus said:
Now I always just use a swag and a stretcher bed. Simple 5 minute setup and way more comfortable.

Until the 2am kangaroo stampede comes through :)

Not that it isn't frightening when you're out there alone and one slams into the side of your vehicle in the wee, small hours, but at least he doesn't end up in bed with you!

Crap, haven't had that happen would frighten the bejesus out of you. I tuck in nice and close to the care, but running into me or the car yeah that would wake you up with a fright.

kawman said:
When I sleep in a vehicle I carry some pieces of fly screen mesh (not shadecloth) wind down the windows and shut the door on the mesh.. Instant window screens...airflow and no insects.... :)

That's a good idea. :cool:

Consendation should not be an issue. You can buy what is called a window sox.

Its fine mesh and you place it over the door right over the window. It covers the
window. All you need to do then is open up the window an inch or so.

I have a 4x4 and one part of the seat is easilly removed
and the other folds right down giving you a flat level area. The space is
about 1.8m x width of car and aound 900mm in height.

My only issue is that I am chrostophobic. There should be enough space though.

I once went away with 4 members of a prospecting club back in the 90's
and I had the top bunk at the Maryborough caravan park and woke in a panic
and smached the fly screen until I woke up and realised what was going on.

Reeks said:
This keeps me out of the elements and away from the yowies.
Condensation is a pain in the arse in winter, spent a few -3 nights in it last year out on the goldfields.
Curtains block out any light.

Fridge is flush with height of bed.
Can fit a full size walbanker, commercial chainsaw, shovels, buckets, layflat hose, detector bag, chainsaw bag, milk crate etc etc.
Drawer holds cooking gear, food and some tools.
Throw a mattress on top and i sleep down the middle with my feet through the front seats (im 6'4)

Bit of a hoodeeny to get in and out, but is perfect for my needs.
Midnight slash into an old protein container.

Detector goes on top as do any fishing rods.

Side compartments are hinged and house a tarp and whatever else (jackets, rope etc)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1557/1424866732_image.jpg

This is a bit too high for my liking due to me being chrostophobic but this is the best way to
sleep especially if your out in WA where while dogs may roam.

All you need to do is erect a Dunny Tent and a Shower Tent.

i am 6ft and have a swb suzuki sierra so sleeping in that is pretty much out of the question, i use a swag and tarp next to the car, the zook being a soft top and well less than bug and water tight i wouldn't even try to sleep in the car, i once had to sleep in my mazda rx7, worst night ever!

Wolfau said:
Consendation should not be an issue. You can buy what is called a window sox.

Its fine mesh and you place it over the door right over the window. It covers the
window. All you need to do then is open up the window an inch or so.

I have a 4x4 and one part of the seat is easilly removed
and the other folds right down giving you a flat level area. The space is
about 1.8m x width of car and aound 900mm in height.

My only issue is that I am chrostophobic. There should be enough space though.

I once went away with 4 members of a prospecting club back in the 90's
and I had the top bunk at the Maryborough caravan park and woke in a panic
and smached the fly screen until I woke up and realised what was going on.

If it's cold outside (5 and under) condensation is going to happen, even with all 4 windows cracked 2 inches. I did this last year and it simply doesn't work.

If there is a bit of breeze the condensation is a lot less.
Summer/normal temp nights there is little to no moisture.

On a cold winter night the roof required wiping down with a towel the next morning.
And on the brass monkey nights the condensation froze.

Good sleeping bag and a few layers i'm toast.
:)

I have slept in various vehicles when the other options were not possible. Even in a small hatchback vehicle it is usually possible to lay the two fron seats right back. If you then cover yourself with a good-quality (woolen) blanket, you shouldn't be too badly off. But mozzies are going to come in unless you can screen the windows.

If you own a van instead of a car, you can sleep pretty comfortably. I have owned several vans, ranging from a Toyota Hi-Ace to a tiny Suzuki Carry. With a van, you can also get away with sleeping overnight in rest areas and temporary areas where erecting a tent could well be dangerous if some yahoos come along and decide it would be great sport to attack a sleeping camper. You can also get away with grabbing a few hours sleep by parking in the cormer or far edge of some truck stops. The truckies will leave you alone, and you can often grab a hot shower there, even if you have to pay a few dollars for the luxury of it. The truckies' tucker is usually pretty substantial as well, and a nice difference of the completely plastic food at Maccas and the like.

I like swags a great deal because they are comfortable, very quick to set up for the night and almost as quick to pack away in the morning. Most models have screens to keep out the insects as well. One problem is that swags are really bulky, and they are pretty heavy to heft any distance away from your car if the car parking area is more than a couple of steps away from your campsite. Another problem with a swag is that there's a real danger some stupid and/or drunk driver might not see you and drive right over you. Yes, it is rare, but it can and does happen occasionally!

A tent is much lighter and cheaper, but it won't last for ten years or more like a swag can. I like a small 2-person tent, an old foam mattress and a good sleeping bag. I sleep very well that way, in summer or in winter. The new pop-up tents from China spring open into shape in just two or three seconds. Peg out the corners and open up the vents and you are good to go. However packing then up again when it's time to go can be interesting. Thankfully, my popup tent has written instructions and helpful pictures on a big label sewn into its big (1m diameter) disc-shaped storage bag.

Cheers,
DavidH

While I could sleep in my Troopy, I prefer to sleep out under the stars. :D

Heres my sleeping arrangements:

A swag with a sleeping bag and pillow, a stretcher bed to get you up off the ground and a heavy duty tarp with some tent poles and guy ropes are all you need for a good nights sleep.

The sleeping bag I have is rated as -20 degrees celsius so most of the time its just extra padding. I put a cotton sheet on the inside of it and use that.

1424957151_img_0647.jpg

I do have a 4 man dome tent but I prefer this tarp setup.

It can be set up in 5-10 minutes and packs up in about the same time.

Heres my kitchen setup:

1424957863_img_0652.jpg

I got one of those cheap camp tables and cut it in half.

I use the end of one of my sliding drawers with one half of the camp table top on it as my kitchen.

As you can see I have Solar Gutter lights (can get a pair of these for $15 from the Reject shop) up on the roof rack to provide light for the kitchen at night.

Cheers,

Grant

Nice set up Grant,
I pretty much do the same but I lay a ground sheet down and sleep in an mesh tent on a 4wd mattress under the tarp.
Summer or winter I do this in the Ballarat area.
I never get cold and I get to check out the nocturnal wildlife and stars as well.
it's the best show on earth to watch.
Cheers Steve :)

I'll only sleep in the back of the ute with the swag if it looks like rain coming otherwise just swag on the ground for a good night sleep, it's just getting harder to get up off the ground nowadays though.
I tried sleeping in the drivers seat of my troopy once at lake Eildon in the middle of winter because the back was full of gear, big mistake and no sleep, uncomfortable and freezing = a very grumpy me by the time the sun came up.

Wolfau said:
but this is the best way to

Where would that be 8)

Never really worried about that before, new one to add to the list ? thanks !

Dingoes don't bother me but packs of modern dogs would.

Anyone actually had this issue ? or just here say...

Westaus said:
Wolfau said:

Where would that be 8)

I watched a youtube clip with one guy who had a base
Setup in WA.

Leaning against the wall while filming stood a rifle.

Then spoke with a friend and said something similiar.

i have had a run in with wild dogs down in yalwal (nsw south coast) while camping, and once while hunting on a friends property was not a nice feeling at all and they are smart about it too, but i still sleep in the swag on the ground or on top of the swag in hot weather

Westaus said:
Wolfau said:

Where would that be 8)

No wild dogs just scrub bulls and brumbies.

Latest posts