Who Sleeps In Their Vehicle?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Just got a new car its a small 4x4 and rapt with the option of being
able to sleep in the bag on top of a 6" mattress.

Just wondering who else sleeps in their vehicle when they head out for a day or 2.

Depends where you go,,,,, fishing at Eucumbene its warmer to fall asleep in a chair next to the fire and wake up with frost on ya eyebrows than it is sleeping in the car lol

I can fold the rear seats throw in a nice comfy mattress, add quilt and pillow and
off you go.

Its just a matter of parking in the right spot and getting used to it.

If it is not too hot cars are ok, I made the mistake of just sleeping in the car for a short trip to the mid west, worst decision ever. No breeze in the car, the car was HOT and held a lot of residual heat. Now I always just use a swag and a stretcher bed. Simple 5 minute setup and way more comfortable.

I once fell a sleep on the Penang ferry from the mainland after a night out with the boys. I was woken by guard at Penang when he told me it was the ferries last crossing.

I'd done 7 crossings before I got woken up. Still had my wallet, amazing.

Good job I was on the right end of the trip.

Could you have issues running out of air if you keep the windows shut? I'm thinking rain, mosquitos...

Swag definitely, I'm 6' tall, not too many cars long enough for me to sleep in.

If it's hot and you wind the window down, the bugs get in, if its cold and you don't wind the window down condensation is hell.

Swag n a bag (reasonable one for warmth) will set you back about $3-400 swag and $150-250 a bag. Don't forget the pillow

Sleeping in the car' I put in the category of roughing it...

A few years a go I spent LOTs on light weight hiking gear for when I'm roughing it.

I go to the small effort of setting up a tent and matteress when I'm camped up ecpesially with the family, a Crappy nights sleep generally turns into sleeping in late and I prefer to get up at daylight.

I have done it many times but I really wouldn't recommend it as its the worst sleep ever. I think next car will be something that I can sleep in comfortably or I like the look of those cot tents/ swags. Saw them at the caravan and camping show. They look great but are a little pricey.

Thats the way to go, love it.
but once again you get what you pay for.

1424843706_one.jpg

1424843764_onee.jpg

Can't beat quality canvas - http://www.oztent.com.au/jettentrange/jet-tent-bunker

I have slept in a car and I agree not a great nights sleep. Even getting a small two man tent and a couple of foam camping mats would be heaps more comfortable and wouldn't cost too much. :)

Westaus said:
Now I always just use a swag and a stretcher bed. Simple 5 minute setup and way more comfortable.

Until the 2am kangaroo stampede comes through :)

Not that it isn't frightening when you're out there alone and one slams into the side of your vehicle in the wee, small hours, but at least he doesn't end up in bed with you!

The metal in the car makes for a cold night or a very hot night. I like the Oztent bunkers that Redfin has, they look great and convenient. I watched the youtube vid and they seem to very quick and easy to set up.
I tend to sleep on the tray of my car or under a tarp when the weather is ok to do so.
1424861142_image.jpg

1424862025_image.jpg

You will get very cold in winter. I slept in the back of my sons Landcruiser last winter in Eldorado and it was very cold. He slept in a swag outside and was not cold at all. The condensation is not that nice either.

Ryan27 said:
The metal in the car makes for a cold night or a very hot night. I like the Oztent bunkers that Redfin has, they look great and convenient. I watched the youtube vid and they seem to very quick and easy to set up.
I tend to sleep on the tray of my car or under a tarp when the weather is ok to do so.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1074/1424861142_image.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1074/1424862025_image.jpg
Nice set up mate. I just got one of those Pelicans cases for my camping gear. They should last better than the plastic storage box I use to use. :)

Latest posts