Landcruiser aircon

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any auto refrigeration mechanics out there who could give me some advice?

I've got a 76 series Landcruiser and the aircon is playing up. The compressor pumps and cools efficiently and has a full charge of refrigerant. But when ambient conditions get hot, it seems that there is a thermal overload switch somewhere that trips the aircon out. When its in the 40's the compressor runs for about a second then stops for about 5 or 10 then repeats... . Just what you need when you're working around Marble Bar:mad:.

I need to take it somewhere to get it fixed but it would be good to have an idea of what's causing it and what's involved in the fix. I'm in Perth at the moment so any recommendations on a good auto Fridgy would be very welcome:)
Cheers
Stingray

Sounds like high pressure overload, have you given the condenser a good hose out and check the air flow, in the 40c + days if the high pressure switch kicks in for my cool rooms I have to get up on the roof with a hose and spray the condenser until the pressure drops, and the motor kick back in, then I setup a sprinkler to keep things cool.

I’d also if you haven’t already swap out the cabin filter and buy a can of aircon cleaner, worth doing with the red dust weve got, you’d be surprised how much crap comes out.

Many moons ago I laid concrete for a fellow that had a contract with Toyota to install aircons into 70series in WA, he was telling me they come out of the factory with mounting points but no aircon, no sure if this is still the case.

Latest posts