Whites TDI Pro, let the testing begin.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my TDI Pro arrived today and I've been playing around the settings like crazy. Over the next several days I'm going to conduct some basic testing (air and land) to determine the machines capabilities as well learning how the machine responds to certain targets using different settings.

I've bagged up several sized gold targets and checked them against the Nugget Finder 6x8 Sadie Advantage. So far I've only tested as to whether or not the machine will respond to these targets and I plan on following it up with depth results (including settings) very soon.

0.01 - Nil
0.03 - Nil
0.13 - around 2-3"
0.2 -
0.22 -
0.53 -
1 -

As you can see there's no response from the 0.01 or 0.03 however the next size up piece of gold I had available was 0.13 which was being picked up nicely at around 2-3 inches. I'll try and get my hands on some in-between gold to test with so I can determine just how small a target it'll respond to.

Once I'm done testing and get the hang of the controls, it'll be time to head out and find some GOLD :D

Stay tuned...

Cheers,
Nugget

Matt, send me you'd address and I'll send you a 0.04 piece. 0.13 is a good starting size though!

I'm excited and its not even me haha!

I will be watching this with interest Nugget, the TDI Pro Oz has got my attention.

Ben78 said:
Matt, send me you'd address and I'll send you a 0.04 piece. 0.13 is a good starting size though!

Thanks for the offer Ben but I'm doubtful the 0.04 would register as it didn't even make a peep on the 0.03. I'm guessing around the 0.08 - 0.09 mark would probably be more realistic. I could probably cut down some lead to try and simulate a gold response.

I was quite impressed with the 0.13 piece, the AT Gold would never have picked it up that's for sure.

No worries LT, the shortage of info online about this machine is mind boggling.

I'd love to join in when iv got time iv done a lot of tests as well you will be surprised what the TDI pro can do even on the little ones'
The coiltek 14x9 blitz would see that .13g no worries but only bout 3/4 inch

Zuke_Lynzy said:
I'd love to join in when iv got time iv done a lot of tests as well you will be surprised what the TDI pro can do even on the little ones'
The coiltek 14x9 blitz would see that 1.3g no worries but only bout 3/4 inch

Yeah sometimes i can't believe how little info exists.. I got to play with one for a couple weeks and knew instantly it was a power detector on par with some of the minelab offerings.. Swing speed is key, slow!

Wish I'd had more time to play with it..

Yeah just realised and did a quick edit.
If you turn the a TDI pro on and test with GB off that will give you a good indication of its target potential "if" all noise and mineralisation is low and if you listen carefully with head phones you can hear tiny targets still in the back ground noise like a echo, Iv got a 0.03g nugget that can be heard on the surface with the 10x5 coiltek mono. Nugget Your 0.03g could be too porous for a PI to pick up.

Nugget said:

You are lucky Nugget, there is something.
When the Garrett groundhog / deepseeker came out there was no internet, just very basic instructions for timid American soil, nothing about
minerlisation etc. very steep, and noisy, learning curve.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Yeah just realised and did a quick edit.
If you turn the a TDI pro on and test with GB off that will give you a good indication of its target potential "if" all noise and mineralisation is low and if you listen carefully with head phones you can hear tiny targets still in the back ground noise like a echo, Iv got a 0.03g nugget that can be heard on the surface with the 10x5 coiltek mono. Nugget Your 0.03g could be too porous for a PI to pick up.

Yeah true, the initial testing was done using the inbuilt speaker with fairly mild threshold and volume levels. I'll try the headphones tomorrow to see if there's any difference.

Redfin said:
Nugget said:

You are lucky Nugget, there is something.
When the Garrett groundhog / deepseeker came out there was no internet, just very basic instructions for timid American soil, nothing about
minerlisation etc. very steep, and noisy, learning curve.

Touch, what would we do without the world wide web lol.

Headphones make a big difference to me with a PI Nugget, sometimes there is just no obvious pitch change, sometimes it's just a small repeatable wobble in tone or even a smoothing of the treshold tone itself if a target is right on the limit.

Good luck with it mate, should be a very nice machine to swing.

Don't worry too much about air tests, the halo effect can make tiny targets sound bigger in the ground, you'll be amazed how tiny and hard to find some targets will be once out of the ground.

I haven't been detecting long, but there's no way i would use an external speaker if you're chasing small targets.

Have you ever liked a song, listened to it a dozen times in the car or at home on your stereo, then one time you listen to it on your earphones you realise there is other sounds, extra detail you didn't know were even in the song?

Don't worry about the yowies, they won't bother you in the daytime anyway.

Good luck with it Nugget!

Can't wait to see the results. It's always interesting doing tests and comparing them to the field.

You'll probably hear some of the .3 and .4's in solid ground. Ground conduction offers a good percentage more response at times. Heatho couldn't have said it better. Very similar learning curve with the SDC.

If you're chasing small bits of gold, scrape carefully with a sharp pick blade and only take 1-2cm depth at a time and check the hole. Saves a lot of work with target retrieval. :)

All the best,
Shauno

Nugget said:
Ben78 said:

Thanks for the offer Ben but I'm doubtful the 0.04 would register as it didn't even make a peep on the 0.03. I'm guessing around the 0.08 - 0.09 mark would probably be more realistic. I could probably cut down some lead to try and simulate a gold response.

I was quite impressed with the 0.13 piece, the AT Gold would never have picked it up that's for sure.

Starting with .08 is the way to go as under .05 you'll find "ALL" pulse inductions will suffer including the GPX 5000. I can guarantee you can pick up over .08 as Liz has already one of these and many between .1 and .2 with the machine really responding well to nuggets in the .2 to .5 range. Looking forward to your results and I'm confident if the machine is swung over a sub grammer it will pick it up. ;)

Cheers, Wal

Thanks Wal, and once again you guys have inspired me, because if it weren't for your progress reports on the Whites machine I probably wouldn't have bought one, and I'm very happy I did :D

I'm looking forward to your next videos as I bet you have some interesting stories to share.

Stay safe,
Nugget

Latest posts