Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zuke_Lynzy said:
Iv spent a lot of time using the TDI pro for coin hunting and after a while you learn what most of the noises are' I'd dig those deep ones up Karl! It's a little difficult sometimes to not make to much mess but the few deeper targets' have turned out to be coppers and silvers.

Yes I do dig deep targets, but not around where I live. Almost all parks are new. Fourty or fifty years ago most of the land around here was a farmland pastures. In one and half years of detecting here all what I found was two penny coins and one half penny. So for me it is modern coins only, unless I get access to some older sites. I'm researching area and few places looks promising.
Karl

Those bloody 1 and 2 cent coins are a pain in the a**, but they sound so good. They sound just like a nice silver coin. The only problem with shifting the GB to 4 or so is the $2 coin drops into a high tone and they are the ones that add up the most.

Karl, Silver coins for show moderns for dough. :)

Yeah those dam 1 & 2c coins make you an instant sucker! About the deapest Iv dug for a 1c was around 10" lucky it was at the old train station and I walked back to the car for the pick.

Karl' did that wing nut give a different sound one way than the other? I use a 7x11 straight mono and you can tell very easy if a targets not round...

Roscoe said:
Those bloody 1 and 2 cent coins are a pain in the a**, but they sound so good. They sound just like a nice silver coin. The only problem with shifting the GB to 4 or so is the $2 coin drops into a high tone and they are the ones that add up the most.

Karl, Silver coins for show moderns for dough. :)

Not on my SPP. Even on GB 3.5 $2 remains in low ( I would not call it tone, it is more like growl) tone up to about 4 inches. Deeper and signal changes to low tone instead growl. But it never sounds high. It may work this way because I'm using DD coil.
You are right about pedecimals, I got box full of penny from the time when I was living in Blue Mountains. Good for scrap only. Florins and Shilings are OK if it doesn't involve too much time to find them. I must have close to 4 kilo of 1 and 2 cents and I also keep all brass and copper scrap I find.
Karl

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Yeah those dam 1 & 2c coins make you an instant sucker! About the deapest Iv dug for a 1c was around 10" lucky it was at the old train station and I walked back to the car for the pick.

Karl' did that wing nut give a different sound one way than the other? I use a 7x11 straight mono and you can tell very easy if a targets not round...

Sorry Luke, somehow I missed this post. With my modified SPP, 10x5 DD coil and settings I have described in first post, I get three different tones. First is low growl for goldies up to about 4 inches deep. If the target is deeper at about 5 to 6 inch the sound become kind of transition from the growl to low tone. Any deeper and signal become clear low tone up to around 12 inches deep. The detection depth will depend on ground mineralization. Large steel nut having mass many times of that dollar coin may sound same at 10 inches as dollar do at 4 inches. That wing nut is a steel and was 8 inches deep and sounded same as dollar coin at 3 or 4 inches. Deeper the target is harder it is to determine the shape of the target with DD coil.
And interesting thing. A dollar coin sitting in the ground on its edge will be detected at about same depth if it would be lying flat, if the coin and coil axis are parallel to each other during the swing. However it will not be detected at all if the axis are at right angle.
Karl

So what happened with all the feedback and videos of the SPP guys and girls?

How's everyone finding this detector after having it for a few months now?

The detector runs great Doc' the hiccup is old news now....I'd say everyone with a SPP is using them or sitting in front of the air conditioner.

Good to hear Zuke.

In your opinion mate, what are the better coils to use with the SPP in regards to small, shallow and bigger, deeper gold?

I'm thinking of purchasing one soon with a few different coil options.

My opinion is you can't go passed razorback's coils, after all they are built for the machine' my favorite and the one Iv found the most gold with so far is the 7x11 folded mono.
The standard coil just about covers everything else tho some larger coils run very smooth and have surprising results.

Check out the sites for sale listings "Old hand" has droped the price of his SPP to $900 what a bargin!

I'm with zuke on the 11x 7 miner John folded coil, behaves like a double d for noise but very sensitive and really good depth for it's size.

Yeah I've heard some good things about the razorback coils, will have to check them out.

Old Hand, SPP, $900.00... Hmmm.

Hi Zuke and Dazz,
Thinking of adding the Miner John/Razorback 11x7 folded mono to my kit. Is it black or white in colour? My 10x5 Razorback is white, for hot Aussie conditions and what does "folded mono" refer to.... the manner in which the coil is wound? And does this coil pinpoint on a target any better than a standard mono?
Cheers Adrian.

P.S. Finding my reworked SPP much more stable and easier to ground balance. :)

Adrian'
The folded coils pin point on the smaller targets a little like a DD coil so yes it does pin point a lot Easier than a mono' the 7x11 folded mono is abit of a trade of between the 5x9 folded (most sensitive) & the standard coil' making it in my eyes the best all round coil.

All the MJD coils come on black tho' I believe you can make a special order for white, tho there would be maybe a month wait.

Thanks for that Zuke, looks like I'll be spending the chrissy present money on something worthwhile then this year,
Don't mind waiting a while to get a white one, too hot here to do much swinging apart from down the beach, where the
standard 12" works a treat.

I'm thinking of buying one of these machines soon and would like to get a bit more info from those of you who use one or have in the past.

Using the standard coil, on average ground, what kind of depth can be achieved?

Can you gain much more depth with other brand coils?

I've heard Razorback coils work well with this detector. Lets say I want a coil that's going to give me maximum depth I can get from this detector, but still give goodish sensitivity, what kind of ball park prices will I be looking at?

Is it a smooth running machine, how does it go in bad ground?

I've read that battery life is pretty poor with this detector, what's the best option to increase running time?

Is it a dig every signal kind of detector?

Any feedback would be good lads and lasses.

The SPP is a very east to operate detector, it makes an excellent beginner gold detector. The stock 12" coil is not very sensitive to sub gram gold but it does well on larger gold, but my favorite coil for it is a 8" commander mono coil. With the 8" commander you can pick up a .15 gram nugget at about 3-4" in mineralised ground. I had heard of people picking up much smaller pieces using mine john (razorback) folded mono coils. It is a very smooth running machine and has a two tone system, high tones for low conductive targets (small Gold) and a low tone for high conductive targets (larger gold). Most of the ground signals that i have in-counted give a Low tone and if your in an area that's mainly small nuggets, Low tone signals can be ignored and just concentrate on the high tone signals this alleviates a lot of iron trash as well.

The best option for batteries would be the RNB Lithium battery pack, i do believe these go up to 3100 mah now and recharge in approx. two hours.

In general its a dig every signal detector, but with a bit of knowledge can be used for coin and relic hunting as well.

I have fitted a conductivity switch to my machine and this just makes the SPP so much more versatile, its an easy mod if you decide to fit it later. The conductivity switch allows you to completely remove either the Low tone side or HIgh tone side at the flick of a switch. This allows you to manipulate the ground balance control to enhance your signals and remove unwanted signals as well.

As a entry level PI detector detector it offers good value for money.

Roscoe said:
With the 8" commander you can pick up a .15 gram nugget at about 3-4" in mineralised ground.

SPP keeps on calling to me softly....

Ben78, I have a few different nuggets in that weight range and they all respond differently. But, i would be very confident with the 3" mark though at least, this is with test targets and not found nuggets in ground. But the soil tested in was indeed very mineralised, i tested my CTX3030 with a 5 cent coin in this ground and it would not register the 5 cent coin over 6" in this soil. I have tested a variety of different coils on those small nuggets with the SPP and i keep going back to the 8" commander, it ground balances well on the SPP, its sensitive and still retains good depth.

Cheers for the reply Roscoe.

You said with the 8" commander coil on a .15 gram nugget you could achieve about a 3-4" depth, but lets say using the best and biggest coil available, what kind of depths is this thing going to achieve?

Also, how much are these kind of coils worth?

Latest posts