Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would agree too my tdi pro is a lot better than my 2100 I had also would give the gp3000 a good run.

Outback said:
What all of us want to know is how good is the SPP when compared with the older Minelabs using same coil ?
Is it better then a SD2100 or not ?

Wish somebody could start a business to do real tests on every new detector released , I'd pay $10 to get the truth :lol:

If someone wants to send me an SPP for the weekend, I'd gladly test it up against an SD :)

SD2100 1996, Whites SPP 2014...

The fact that the question was asked shows how far ahead of the game Minelab really are lol.. really wish i had held onto the TDI-SL now :(
I still say the SPP will knock over the 2100 probably the 2200D /v2 as well.. They age well that's for sure..

Got a new SPP from the boys at Dunolly and was keen to give it a good run.
Tried in an area that is hard going with my GPX5000 due to EMI. The SPP was
as steady as a rock and I picked several shotty pellets at about an inch, same
depth as I've found them here with the 5k. But a lot easier to pick due to the
way the SPP ignores the EMI. Also picked a pellet, about the size of a .32, at
about 6". Nice crisp signal.
And, joy of joy, got a little .2 of a gram nugget. Barely under the surface but
surprised that this machine could pick something as small as that. I was using
a Minelab Commander 8" mono.
Loving this little machine :)

Mate good find. Been waiting/watching for a find like that with the SPP. Even more tempted to hit the "add to cart" button now :lol:

Today's finds with the SPP. All using 8" Commander. No yellow, today, but did get a halfpenny.
Heap of junk including, to the right of the coin in the pic, coupla shotgun pellets. The chunk of lead,
as pictured on the coil, gave a good crisp high-toned signal. I was smack bang under power lines and
about 50m from a tower.
Left the pinpointer in the hole to give an indication of the depth I had to go to get it. Had the pulse racing
for a while. Still, that's all part of this game. Very impressed with the steadiness of this little machine
in some pretty ordinary areas.
1404458345_img_0700.jpg

1404458402_img_0702.jpg

1404458429_img_0703.jpg

What depth for the pellets mate? I'm drilling at the price if I can get any depth on those is my "indicator " in the water course for good alluvial ground where there's pellets there's chunky gold.

Goldtarget said:
What depth for the pellets mate? I'm drilling at the price if I can get any depth on those is my "indicator " in the water course for good alluvial ground where there's pellets there's chunky gold.

About an inch. But that seems to be the norm for the area I'm in. From the surface to 'bout an inch or so, even with the 5000, on shotty pellets.
The wee little pieces o' wire a bit more. Probably due to the 'halo' effect. The bigger pellet and the coupla round do-hickies a good 6".
A foot for the half-penny, likewise the big slug. And you can see for yourself the size of the hole for the big lump of lead. I thought
that pretty impressive given the size of the coil (8"). And there was nothing faint about the signal I first received on that lump so,
given that, I have no doubt it would have been detected deeper.

Pretty impressive so far considering how much Goldsearch want for it, I'm gathering the rechargeables give it longer life in the field over standard batteries? So tempting to make a purchase later this month. :)

One test I'd love someone to do is to see what air depth you get on a 5c coin.
Then do a ground balance in some mineralised soil, and with the coil sitting flat on the ground, then sweep the coin over the top of the coil, and see what the depth is. Just curious

Once you ground balance the detector to the ground then you will have some loss of depth and that should be reflected above the coil to produce a different result on the 5c coin compared to the air test before the detector was ground balanced?

I am curious also as I expect there will be a difference.

Just a quick question. How would you rate spp with 8" commander vs gpx5000 with commander 10x5 dd in cancel stability/emi wise? Thinking of getting a spp but a coil is a whole lot cheaper!

Ben78 said:
Just a quick question. How would you rate spp with 8" commander vs gpx5000 with commander 10x5 dd in cancel stability/emi wise? Thinking of getting a spp but a coil is a whole lot cheaper!
Dunno about the 10X5 but I have run the 11" Commander, on the 5000, in cancel. I've run the SPP with the 8", a 12X7 NF mono, and the 11" DD. If testing one against the other, and the 5000 was in cancel mode then I'd put my money on the SPP. Have found the SPP much quieter EMI wise but it does lack the sensitivity, and depth, of the 5000 in normal operation. If it was near, let alone on par, with the 5k the waiting list for purchase of this little machine would stretch from here 'til Christmas.But still a very good little machine, a great addition to the arsenal. Love my 5k but this little machine now lets me into areas I couldn't easily detect before and some I simply couldn't do given the proximity of power, electric fences, towers and so on.

Sorry, wasn't trying to compare in 'normal' situation. I know the 5000 eats anything else out there. I have a spot with epic emi smack in the middle of an old hydraulic sluiced ground. Has to be good gold in there and I don't want to muck around with a VLF in there. If you think a spp will do better than a 5000 with dd then I'll look at that. (interestingly on adjacent ground my 5000 is quieter with a mono than a dd!)

Latest posts