Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could someone pls do a buried coin test of a $2 coin with the SPP?

Whats the maximum depth you can detect a $2 coin in normal soil is fine?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I ordered my SPP last week, its not here yet :( but as soon as it arrives I'll be hitting my local goldfield to see how it performs :)

Jim & Kerrie

washgravel said:
Once you ground balance the detector to the ground then you will have some loss of depth and that should be reflected above the coil to produce a different result on the 5c coin compared to the air test before the detector was ground balanced?

I am curious also as I expect there will be a difference.

Yep pretty much. Just one of several checks you can do test the effectiveness of the ground balance method.

Wolfau said:

Thanks in advance.

Hi Wolfau,

I'm currently at Dunolly and have just done a $2 buried coin test in highly mineralised soil (around the Deep Lead area). I was getting signal around 10 inches approx, I didn't have a tape measure with me. Hope this helps

Regards

Is the SPP a cut down version of the TDI Pro or was it designed from the ground up? Judging by the price, would it be safe to assume the TDI Pro remains Whites flagship model?

The tdi pro still remains on top for whites to us Aussies' the SPP is a cut down version of the TDI SL.
The Tdi SL & SPP won't get the same depth on larger targets as the TDI pro' but they are abit nicer to use, in the right hands the TDI Pro can be adjusted a certain way to run just as smooth.

Goldpick, that was one of the few videos that convinced me to buy the TDI Pro.

Hi all,

The SPP arrived on Friday, its easy to assemble, its well made, lightweight, and simple to operate in back yard testing. Coil speed seems to be the key to this detector, .5 gram tester gives a good signal, but completely disappears if your swing speed is to fast :) This was bought as a detector for the wife to use, and a back up for my ML 3500.

Today we head out to our local goldfields to give it a proper test in what I believe are some of the hottest ground in Central Aust. My GP 3500 struggles in the area we're going to and I don't expect the SPP to do any better, but if it does I'll be a happy camper.

We've picked up plenty of gold with the GP 3500 in the area we are going to today, its only been detected by us :) its full of basalt, but hot ground and gold go together :|

I'll let you know this arvo how we, and the SPP go :)

Jim & Kerrie

Jim if you try a DD coil you have to swing slower again. The best thing about the TDI pro is you can flick it into Low conductor and ignor iron' so most mineralisation and hot rocks, allowing you to use close to full gain in hot areas.
This switch could be added to the SPP.

Yes I would like to know too, particularly on that basalty stuff. I would expect even the 3500 to struggle there.

Basalt rubble causes my 5k no end of grief. The high low switch shuts up a lot of ground noise and hot rocks with the pro, not having the switch will get annoying with the spp.

Hi all,

After a full day of detecting with the SPP I can confidently say what a great machine it is, it performed really well, the ground balance is easy to operate in conjunction with the gain control it balanced out banded ironstone and ran almost as good in the basalt as my 3500.

We left all of our gear, including the 3500 at home deciding to focus on learning the new SPP. I wish I had of taken my box of coils, I would of liked too have tried out a little joey DD I've got :)

two things to remember one is the standard coil is really touch sensitive, and the other is keep your swing speed slow :)

PS, we didn't find any gold :( but there's always next time

Jim & Kerrie

Cheers for the update Jim, I'm starting to get really excited about buying a TDI Pro in the coming weeks :)

Hi Guys,

New to the forum, but have been following the post for a while.
I will be buying the SPP when we fly over to VIC in a few weeks, and have spoken to the supplier, but if if anyone wants to let me know their experience with the SPP, especially in WA, please let us know?

I have been using the GP and GPX series detectors for years, but feel the price, and ergonomics sometimes let it down a bit.
Just wanted another backup detector for my wife, and for when my arm feels a bit tired (Very tired).
I am hoping the SPP fits the gap? Main advantage I can see is I don't have the learning curve like the TDI OZ, and it wont break the bank like the SDC2300.
Also, just bought the whites MXT, and really like it, so I am sure it will be a quality machine.

Thanks in Advance,

GD

turps123 said:
Wolfau said:

Thanks in advance.

Hi Wolfau,

I'm currently at Dunolly and have just done a $2 buried coin test in highly mineralised soil (around the Deep Lead area). I was getting signal around 10 inches approx, I didn't have a tape measure with me. Hope this helps

Regards

Ok then no worries at all.

Thank you for doing this test.

Hi all,

After being a bit disappointed with the touch sensitivity, the slow swing speed, and the sluggish target response I fitted my Joey 12 X 6 DD and took it out the back for testing. I'm very happy with the outcome there's no annoying noise when I touch the ground or change direction.

The target response is very positive and crisp, even when I double my swing sweep. this means I can cover twice the ground than I could with the standard coil :)

I wonder how a good mono would perform?

Jim & Kerrie

Great to hear you got it running a little better with the Joey DD. I've had similar behavior in the past that's been resolved by a slight change in settings (VLF detector), could be worth a shot?

Latest posts