What's THAT smell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excalibur63

Gordon
Reaction score
I'm probably nuts,and sure there are a few people out there that would agree! but on occasion when fossicking for gems, I get a distinct "onion weed" smell, well that's the closest smell I can relate it to.

Any idea's ?
:)

Or a hint of sulpher coming form the volcanic vent that formed the gems ??
Or better yet, Hydrogen Sulphide from last nights chilli episode, creating rattle snakes. LOL
Some types of rock/soil do give off a distinct smell at times.

Tathradj said:
Or a hint of sulpher coming form the volcanic vent that formed the gems ??
Or better yet, Hydrogen Sulphide from last nights chilli episode, creating rattle snakes. LOL
Some types of rock/soil do give off a distinct smell at times.

I work with sulpher on a regular basis, definitely not that
I know the Hydrogen Sulphide smell stays well within my waders
Yeah so maybe just the local terrain.

Do you get that smell when you start finding gems? Wouldn't it be nice if you had a special gene ( like the asparagus gene) where you can pick up on the smell of gem formation. Maybe you're onto something!

I'm trying to train my German Shepard to do just that twapster, progress is real slow, any stone that's tossed is fair game to him, if I was wallaby hunting I'd have no worries. :D

Silver, I didn't want to mention it in my post, just to see if anyone else suggested it, but unfortunately you maybe right, I wonder if there is any health risk?

I'm not sure at all EX63, I just have this niggly suspicion that I've heard the old ones talking about it years ago when I was a young one.
excalibur63 said:
I'm trying to train my German Shepard to do just that twapster, progress is real slow, any stone that's tossed is fair game to him, if I was wallaby hunting I'd have no worries. :D

Silver, I didn't want to mention it in my post, just to see if anyone else suggested it, but unfortunately you maybe right, I wonder if there is any health risk?

I've never noticed that odour, I have noticed at Inverell where we dig the gem layer smells a bit like ash, which it is I guess. I've stood at the wash plant where 10 cubic metre loads are dumed into the hopper and trommel and still no Onion weed smell that I've noticed. Will sniff more dirt next time I'm out. :)

Interesting though.

Latest posts