New Member In Melbourne and Port Campbell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! I am new to gem collecting/fossicking/prospecting, not entirely sure what it is called. I would love to learn more about collecting gems and other stones near Port Campbell or Melbourne.
I have been to Obrien's Point in Blackwood to look for gold and garnets, and found a couple flecks of gold, and some tiny garnets. I am also heading to the quarry in Mt Shadwell to look for some nice olivine. I am also planning on going to the Mornington Peninsula and the Otways for some agate (my favourite stone), and will have a pan up at Slaty Creek.
Do any of you have any good locations for gems or gold? Anything helps!

Manficat

Hello all! I am new to gem collecting/fossicking/prospecting, not entirely sure what it is called. I would love to learn more about collecting gems and other stones near Port Campbell or Melbourne.
I have been to Obrien's Point in Blackwood to look for gold and garnets, and found a couple flecks of gold, and some tiny garnets. I am also heading to the quarry in Mt Shadwell to look for some nice olivine. I am also planning on going to the Mornington Peninsula and the Otways for some agate (my favourite stone), and will have a pan up at Slaty Creek.
Do any of you have any good locations for gems or gold? Anything helps!

Manficat
Hi manficat.
Unfortunately you xannot dig for gemstones and crystal down mornington peninsula national park It's prohibited.
  • Mornington Peninsula National Park - for zeolite only, permitted for scientific research purposes and collection by mineralogical clubs subject to permit conditions
You can go to moralla for smokey quartz crystal. Look in the stream bed at beechworth and Eldorado. Fossil beach. Philip Island
I'm newish myself.
So happy hunting

Last edited:

Latest posts