What happens on a weekend.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tathradj

Doug
Reaction score
So,
After getting organized, phone calls, gathering and hunting the necessary items, Paydirt and myself lobbed into our little neck of Australia and for a couple of days made out that we were indeed with the old timers on their quest for the yella stuff.
We had a blast and it was really good to finally meet up with another fellow PA member and we had a lot of fun.
We scratched and sniffed around an area but could not get to see what we wanted because the track to the mines and stamper had been chewed up some thing shocking. I myself owning a Hilux 4X4 would not have been tempted to try and traverse a track with a spring leaking down the middle of it. I would have taken the "Chicken Track" beside it. Must have taken a hell of a lot of digging for them to get out but I would say that they had their fun. LOL
Beautiful area I must say and it is on my hit list until it gets too cold.

Any ways,

G'Day from me, see you soon.

1400410388_gday_me_small.jpg

Paydirt kicked back,

1400410478_paydirt_kicked_back_small.jpg

Got a bit peckish,

1400410596_peckish_small.jpg

Stove was a bit too hot,

1400410623_stove_was_a_bit_hot_small.jpg

Then got woken up the next morning by those bloody noisy Bellbirds and the sound of running water. The serenity and the tranquility of this area is superb. After I dithered around with Bacon and eggs on toast, Coffee,
and general other mundane things I then went down to the diggings and set my Walbanker up besides Paydirt's and we started.

1400410838_raceing_walbankers_small.jpg

It was really a pleasure to enjoy a pastime like this with self minded other people and comparing bankers, Trying to figure out where the wash was I enjoyed. I am just starting to get the banker dialed in but kicked myself on the last run as I had put the bloody expanded mesh in back the front as Paydirt pointed out. Oh well, I still got a nice show for it so I did not dwell on it.

Paydirt and the "Racing Bankers" wondering where the bloody hell that Pay streak is.

1400411284_raceing_walbankers_small.jpg

I must point out that what we were doing was squaring the banks of and cleaning out to bed rock as some one had under cut them and left a bit of a mess. We fixed it but it needs more work so I will return to complete the task. :) :)
We were rewarded for our efforts with what looks to be just a bit over a gram each. sorry no photo's as I have not cleaned the findings up at this point.

All up a fantastic weekend with good company and being surrounded by some of Australia's most beautiful country.

See you out there,

Doug

Sooooo, did you use a detector to look for your paystreak or did you just wing it ?

Was a good weekend, bloody interesting place to explore with heaps of fosssicking potential if you are prepared to get down and dirty in the bush. Pretty amazing to think what was a working town 100 years ago is now reverted to crappy regrowth. I had a looksie around a few of the mines and grabbed a couple of ore samples to crush - nice rusty quartz stringers. Funny how people go to the effort to undermine banks when there is a dirty great (foot wide crevice) running across the creek from bank to bank (covered by a layer of river cobbles) which has probably more colour than the stuff under the banks.
Brilliant weekend with good company and a litttle bit of colour to keep the interest up

I think I mentioned that previously. That claim wasn't the best one there for the Yambulla alluvial miners as they said they just made wages at that junction. I've pulled a fair bit out of that spot nevertheless. The whole area needs to have tracks made down to other areas that will require more guys going there.

Would have joined you guys but I am in Tas exploring new ground or rediscovering old diggings.

Love to know a bit more about exactly how and what the Chinese were digging. You can see the benches and regrowth on those benches but they seemed to have stopped above the pay layer?????????

Paydirt said:
Love to know a bit more about exactly how and what the Chinese were digging. You can see the benches and regrowth on those benches but they seemed to have stopped above the pay layer?????????

Chinese were not at Yambulla. They were at Delegate and Bendoc.

The dates of the diggings exclude them as the Yambulla diggings were 1901-1910 and the White Australia Policy was from 1901. (No Chinese)

Where you guys were was Hite's claim.

"Since tho rainfall, sluicing claims have been
taken up. Hite is winning fair gold on tho
Granite Boulder Creek, and now parties have
taken up Doyle and Lawrence's old claim.
The ground Is rather poor, but a little better
than tucker can be made by diligent work."

Pretty funny that we enjoy the diggings that they find poor :p

FYI There was a guy with a wheelbarrow working the river beds. He would carry the wash in a wooden wheelbarrow and is buried somewhere around there.

Here is a puzzle. Think it must be further up towards the old township but it could well be further down the river to where the main alluvial diggings are located.
This is a drawing of a Sluicing Flume from Yambulla.

1400475813_yambulla_flume.jpg

Cheers for the info Red. Historical info is gold in itself. Geez Red could have said there's a grave around there, I've been camping solo in the middle of the bush with a dead bloke.

PMSL, He probably wanted to help us find what he missed. :cool:
I was more worried about the Hairy Fella's but I would say that the recent activity has kept them away. LOL
I can relate to that story now, He apparently is up on the ridge above the crossing. Gee it is hard to remember the facts after nearly 20 years of being told. :8
The Chinese were in the area, They were tolerated and supplied own grown food which was gold in itself to the odd 5000 Yambulla inhabitant's. As long as they did not disturb the local miners they were OK.
They were there for not long then went walkabout to richer findings. This was related by a fellow who had a lot of the history passed down to him.
He is no longer with us now.

Redmanti said:
So did you see the ghost?

Hear the wheel barrow?

Listen out for it next time 8)
Na figure he be happy for company of prospector from another age

Latest posts