What Car, what brands do you trust for the Outback?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that there are lots of Land Rover haters out there, BUT I will occasionally stick my head above the parapet and accept fire - and this is one such occasion.

I am the second owner of a 1999 Discovery Series II Td5 diesel. It currently has 490,000+Km on the clock. I bought it at 270,000km. The original owners were caravaners and the D2 was used solely to tug a caravan around Australia for all of those 270,000km and in the process it never missed a service. It was a tug - not a daily driver, the D2 was on the road for 6 months and garaged for the remaining 6 months every year, for 12 years until I purchased it. Since I purchased it the D2 has not been my daily driver, but I've managed to put another 200,000 plus 'recreational' kms on it these last 11 years. Those kms being divided between my prospecting forays into the Vic High Country and some demanding LROCV club trips. Given its age and the accumulated Kms, whenever the D2 needed work to keep it going it was normal "fair wear and tear" items just like every other vehicle out there, and that's the truth of it!

So YES! I trust my Land Rover in the Outback, and in the Vic High County (in summer or in the snow season) and it has never let me down.

Latest posts