4WD; What do you drive and why?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2012 pajero diesel auto. Great car have fitted Catch Can to eliminate Carbon build up in intake manifold. Very.low mileage only done 22000ks. Do all my own servicing at least its done properly. Refuse to have vehicle serviced by dealers quoting $1200 for over servicing based on time not mileage. Its now out of 5 year warranty. Change oil every 5000ks, fit new oil filter every oil change,change air filter and fuel filter every 10000ks. I intend to keep vehicle as my last car as I am near 70 yr old.

I have a 2005 Range Rover Sport with 20 inch city alloys and low profile tyres. :p

Haven't gotten stuck yet! Not that I've really pushed it.

I actually took it out for work one day where there were a bunch of representatives from a few different engineering consultancies meeting to look at some rail bridges - so about 8 vehicles in total including about 3 Hi-Luxs, a Patrol, an Izuzu, a 2wd Rodeo and a couple of guys had flown down from NSW and hired an AWD Captiva at the airport. Wet railway access tracks with mud up to the axles. The 2WD Rodeo had some real problems and they eventually had to leave it behind. The AWD Captiva struggled but got through the day okay, surprisingly. And my Rangie Sport didn't miss a beat. I had a couple of the guys say to me that they thought if anyone was going to have trouble, it'd be me - I was quite put out!

Oh yeah, and I'm a Melbourne supporter. :lol:

$1200 for a service; bloody hell, might as well do it yourself, i change oil,filter brake pads, have changed alternator ,starter motor, water pump, spark plugs and a few other things myself on a commodore, so i can pretty much take care of servicing my next set of wheels.
Do you guys know of the latest model 4wd`s a couple of them that i read about need to have the oil(must be synthetic oil) and filter changed within 10 minutes or you wont be able to start the motor, i think it`s something to do with the pump not working properly after the ten minutes is up.
Some idiots bright idea?

We're spoilt for choice these days eh!
When I was a kid, there were landrovers, land cruisers,hiluxs,patrols,pathfinders, Subaru's and Suzuki's.....think that was about it for a while.....then the new ones started to come in, diahatsu Rocky's ( my 1st 4*4) those Russian things with fuzes all over the joint, .....

The latest ranger/Mazda if you drain every drop of oil ,I wouldn't and I'm a mechanic you drain the oil pump and you cannot get oil pressure up again . Then you are in deep shit!

I have a 100series Landcruiser standard , had it for 16 years , ex dept of supply, done 3200 km when I bought it , now done 285000 km, never let me down only replaced an alternator and the radiator. Non turbo.
Thinking of upgrading to a new GX Landcruiser, but not sure if I will get the reliability I got from my old 100 series.
Going to cost me over $70,000 to change over.
Lots to think about.

Hey Geezer, can you explain to us non mechanics, what will happen and how much would it cost to fix if ( like you said every drop of oil is drained out of these new trucks), you might just help save someone a huge repair bill!!!!

For me a 1998 Prado 337000kms 3.4l petrol
A bit thirsty but a good car overall..
1502279166_img_2287.jpg

The oil light will stay on which means Low oil pressure and it will damage your crankshaft bearings ,because of low oil pressure. I have my staff drain the oil for a maximum of 5 minutes. I have never had to carry out this repair because we are very careful and would not like to have to stand at the counter for several hours trying to explain why a Mazda/ford design fault is now the customers fault. This is only on the 3.2 engine. I would say to fix this you would have to pump prime the oil pump though the oil pressure switch and do a few Hail Marys! Otherwise you will be probably be replacing the oil pump.

brucee said:
I have a 100series Landcruiser standard , had it for 16 years , ex dept of supply, done 3200 km when I bought it , now done 285000 km, never let me down only replaced an alternator and the radiator. Non turbo.
Thinking of upgrading to a new GX Landcruiser, but not sure if I will get the reliability I got from my old 100 series.
Going to cost me over $70,000 to change over.
Lots to think about.

Hi Brucee. Find out how much to replace something like the starter motor. Generally a pretty easy replacement. I did hear on the V8 Cruisers 1 and a half days labour due to its location and the required dismantling of the engine, or part there of, to get to it. Hope this is untrue as they are a great looking and capable 4x4.

Ridge Runner said:
Paul13 said:
For me a 1998 Prado 337000kms 3.4l petrol
A bit thirsty but a good car overall..
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9521/1502279166_img_2287.jpg

Nice Truck, that's the model I have always wanted, It has comfort and is just big enough to get all ya gear in.

I had about 3 or 4 Trucks on my short list and that was one of them.

John.

Thank you John!
If you still looking for one.. my car is currently for sale :D

Discovery 4, have always had Landrovers. When travelling remote areas carry 2 spare tyres and appropriate tyre levers etc. Biggest problem is 19" tyres otherwise very happy.

Latest posts