4WD; What do you drive and why?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My lux is a 02, Stock except for the turbo,exhaust and chip that controls the fuel pump..It started the day with 40.5 kw and after mods 65kw..made a huge difference to how it drives..before the mods it seamed like you had to drive it hard to keep up with the traffic,now does it easy..Guys here are right The is no need to change any suspension on a T, every thing works..stock standard..a set of BFGoodrich,tyres and you will go anywhere..The narrow body of the 78-79 cruises and luxes works well in the bush and don't get metallic paint..that's for the city..White is the second best colour in the bush..Army green would be the No1..Stelth..I can buy a short motor for $3500 and can for myself cos the earlier luxes are simple..same goes with the 78-79 Cruiser..No rust issues. You will never regret buying a T..Have fun..

SneakyCuttlefish said:
Toyota's are over priced. Good car and reliable but nearly 10 -15k dearer than their nearest competitors (thats the second hand market btw). I bought a navara d22 3ltr. (made sure I got a later version without the detonating engine)

12k with 145,000 on the clock. 1 owner. Immaculate condition. It's never missed a beat and never let me down. Pushing 300,000 now. Just had to overhaul the suspension to make it more suitable for the rough stuff. Snake racing control arms for the 3" lift, EFS suspension, idler arm brace, air lockers, 2" body lift. The usual stuff for serious terrain.

Only gripe is she's a bit gutless on the highway when fully loaded with camping gear.

Anyway point of the rant is this.... You can buy and build a reliable, tricked out rig with all the bells and whistles for the same price as a stock-as-a-rock landy (good nick, good year) that still needs all the coin spent on it to set it up for serious touring.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Give us a yell when you need all your cool sounding bling towed out of the bush and I'll come down and skull drag you out with my bog standard cruiser :D

SneakyCuttlefish said:
Toyota's are over priced. Good car and reliable but nearly 10 -15k dearer than their nearest competitors (thats the second hand market btw). I bought a navara d22 3ltr. (made sure I got a later version without the detonating engine)

12k with 145,000 on the clock. 1 owner. Immaculate condition. It's never missed a beat and never let me down. Pushing 300,000 now. Just had to overhaul the suspension to make it more suitable for the rough stuff. Snake racing control arms for the 3" lift, EFS suspension, idler arm brace, air lockers, 2" body lift. The usual stuff for serious terrain.

Only gripe is she's a bit gutless on the highway when fully loaded with camping gear.

Anyway point of the rant is this.... You can buy and build a reliable, tricked out rig with all the bells and whistles for the same price as a stock-as-a-rock landy (good nick, good year) that still needs all the coin spent on it to set it up for serious touring.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Haha!! a stock landy really only needs to ditch the stock highway rubber for good all terrain tyres and when intelligently driven she'll go anywhere you point her :)

1501388702_ranger_1.jpg

This my Ranger. I may of put this pic in before. I have made a custom back on it now.
Is chipped, 3 inch exhaust and a pedal unit also. Goes well and is a comfy car for a big bloke. I do a lot of Kms
so it has to be practical. I have a long range tank, dual batteries and winch.

GT :)

I go out bush on my own and tackle the rough stuff which is why I need the overkill on gear. On my own means 4-5 hours drive from the nearest help and "rough stuff" means wet season run, chainy in hand, making my own tracks into spots no ones ever been in a vehicle. Built my rig to be reliable because my life depends on it. But thanks for the offer lads, I won't be needing a tow anytime soon. I guarantee it.

Sneaky I too own the same navarra d22 they are a great vehicle off-road.i have had it for 6 years no dramas just keep the full synthetic oil in it.I have had the same battery in it the whole time as well ( Caterpiller) and if anyone needs a detailing job?

SneakyCuttlefish said:
I go out bush on my own and tackle the rough stuff which is why I need the overkill on gear. On my own means 4-5 hours drive from the nearest help and "rough stuff" means wet season run, chainy in hand, making my own tracks into spots no ones ever been in a vehicle. Built my rig to be reliable because my life depends on it. But thanks for the offer lads, I won't be needing a tow anytime soon. I guarantee it.

yeah. I have a triton as well. :Y:

I've been driving, maintaining, modifying and building vehicles for 45 years. I'n my opinion the light weight modern diesels are nothing like the old diesels that once seemed to last forever. We built the 13 seat busses on the old HJ45 LandCruisers and 14 and 17 seat busses on the HJ75's. Some of these vehicles travelled better than 1,000,000 km without any major engine repairs and they were pulling heavy loads on rough roads every day. They were slow but reliable, they had to be slow, the brakes were next to useless.

1501420454_landcruiser_bus2.jpg

In recent years manufactures of petrol engines have achieved massive improvements in reliability and long life but their diesels have lost out. There's not too much difference these times in the lifespan of a petrol or diesel engine. However diesels still win out when it comes to fuel consumption. Many modern petrol engines have spark plugs designed to be changed at 100,000 km but in reality can last much longer and fuel injection systems that can go on for hundreds of thousands of kilometres without any maintenance apart from filters.

1501420484_landcruiser_bus.jpg

There was a time when you could work a diesel hard on or off road and it would only use a metered amount of fuel making it very economical in all conditions particularly when working hard. The modern common rail diesel is different. If it is working hard like towing a heavy van the computer control will just keep pouring in fuel in an attempt to develop the required power. Under these conditions it's no longer economical to run a modern light weight diesel.

1501421513_peak_hill.jpg

What do I drive? An oldish style diesel. Why? Because I can't afford a new one ;)

It's an interesting topic. Personally I drive a 1992 Nissan Terrano

1501472908_dsc08507.jpg

Only cost me 5k on road, has heated seats, power windows, proper low range 4x4 with auto hubs, good ground clearance, bash plates as standard stock, and its diesel.

only problem I have with it is that its not designed for speed, and struggles to sit nicely on 100kph.

for the OP you don't need to spend a lot of cash to get out there in the bush. Buy on older 4x4 and spend the rest of the cash on an SDC.

goldtruck59 said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1033/1501388702_ranger_1.jpg

This my Ranger. I may of put this pic in before. I have made a custom back on it now.
Is chipped, 3 inch exhaust and a pedal unit also. Goes well and is a comfy car for a big bloke. I do a lot of Kms
so it has to be practical. I have a long range tank, dual batteries and winch.

GT :)

I had quite a few F-Series Trucks when I was back home, I love em but In the bush things can get a bit tight, Long Trips were a joy and their Towing weight was awesome.

Thanks for posting it.

John.

I have a 2003 4l petrol Prado, why? Because they are a bloody great 4by, not as tough as some but hey it get's me through the rough stuff. I've only ever had one problem with it and that was the fill pipe leaking fuel, only cost $100 to fix. Bought it with 206000km on the clock and it runs flawlessly, all it needed was some good all terrain tyres from the crap ones it came with.

1501536849_20130714_154529.jpg

I've got a 1997 Troopy. Stock standard apart from the usual additions you put on for use (ie. bullbar, spotties, second tank, dual battery system, better tyres and a few additional cigarette lighter sockets in the back). I bought it new as a young fella coz I knew I'd hold it forever (the 1HZ engine is literally one of the most reliable engines ever built and is good for 1m km) so it was worth the investment. And I use it all the time for both work and play.

It seems to me like the OP was fishing more for reasons NOT to get a solid diesel than reasons TO get one but I can only recommend this....buy something decent and reliable and learn how to do some basic maintenance on it yourself and you'll probably avoid having those 'huge repair bills'. Like any other tool, a decent 4wd has to be well maintained to work properly. The more of that you can do, the better.

Considering the places I go to, my life also depends on it being not just 'in working order' but completely safe and reliable too. To this end I'm very glad I have a 75 series, before the electronic trickery came along of later models. Short of the starter motor completely going, there's nothing on it I can't fix. The 75 series are still considered the most reliable 4wds for a very good reason. They're simple. And all cruisers are still less breakable than anything else out there - which is exactly why you see them all over the outback.

In the OP's position I'd rather buy an older cruiser or hilux or patrol in good nick and put some time into learning how to do basic maintenance and repairs than buy the latest flash machines that are full of electronics and have to be towed into a shop and plugged in to a computer to tell the 'mechanic' what's wrong with it.... You don't have that option most places I go. Or if you do, it'll cost you a week of your time without your vehicle and several $k...

But it really depends on what you're using your 4wd for and how much comfort/accessories you want as to what expense you can justify to yourself.

Happy hunting!

Have to agree with you zengeo the troopies are the way to go , I own an 89 one with the 3f motor had it for 18 years and apart from a clutch , starter motor , alternator and radiator she has never let me down . A bit hard to find but if you do get one it's money well spent .
Like you I do all the repairs and servicing myself . Great 4x4 that's why armies all over the world use them , there bullet proof !

I bought a 2015 Grand Cherokee 3L turbo diesel - what colour?
Don't worry about the grass at my place (5 acres) it gets mowed regularly as the car's been damn reliable so far (yes only 70,000 km), but loving it.
Only thing that I hate is that my ECB Aluminium bull bar was reversed into by some hoon with a towbar in Maryborough, and never reported it - b*****d!
My daughter also collected a tree on a track a few weekends back, and the tree came off worse (a bull bar's meant to look a bit worked I reckon).
The car has the paddles so I can set the gear I need for the terrain - just like a manual. I've replaced my shite road tyres with Dueller ATs (have had tyres spiked by rock and stick off road - thanks for helping Dig'n-it), and am now happy with the setup - at least for the Vic GT. Took it to FNQ and a "bewdy mate".
I'm paying off this car on a long term plan and, even though it will look like shite at its end (dented, scratched and beat-up but going strong - like me), am expecting that it will out-live me. I bought it as a bush car, so only it's final mechanical condition is of interest to me. The last car that I will ever own?

I drive a 1999 Landcruiser 105 series, solid axle petrol/gas. Bloody tough love it and hasnt cost me a cent apart from servicing for last 5 years. Paid $16 k for it fully kitted out back in late 2011, winch, bullbar, UHF, drawers, fridge slide, driving lights, twin batteries, compressor, brake controller the list goes on. Will never own a different car until the day i depart. LOVE 'EM!!! Would have a HDFTE Turbo diesel if i could afford!

Each to their own, it would be a boring world if we all had the same likes!!
Mad Patrol fan here. Reliable, strongest driveline in the business, strong engine, not great economy, but with a few reliable modifications, they run like a dream. I have had a couple and wouldn't go past the 4.2Turbo engine, although it was unfortunately discontinued due to emissions in 2007.
Not a fast engine but definately reliable.
Although, if you make them breath properly, discard the restrictive stock turbo and get an efficient turbo bolted on, upgraded injection pump, and you can get a reliable 180plus kW and 700 plus Nm torque.....at the wheels! Plus you will improve the fuel consumption by anywhere up to 8 L/100km.

You only really need a good set of muddies, a 2" lift and a winch and you are pretty well prepared for what most tracks throw at you.
Gets us into most areas and back out again with the camper on the back and loaded up with the family.

Cheers,
Elusive

Latest posts