4WD; What do you drive and why?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to by a 2nd hand 4wd around 15k to 20k range around 6 months time. Have been researching all the popular models, and i tell you what, diesel`s scare the crap out of me. A new pump and injectors can set you back around 6k, sheesh you can by a reasonable sedan for that price. Most of the cars selling at this price range have done 140k to 220k and are all in that time frame of pump and injector replacement, so buy 20k car, then expect to spend close to another 10k to replace diabolically expensive parts.
Out of all the popular models only a Toyota Hilux has the option of a petrol motor, and there are very few available at this point in time for sale, so it looks like i`ll have to be extremely lucky to find a decent one when it`s time to buy.
Anyone know why all these other companies only build diesel`s, i guess they only think about the well off`s who can buy new, and dont give a rat`s about the poor sucker who buys years down the track. I will never buy a diesel, perhaps only if i ever get into a financial position that will allow me to do so to buy new.
So; it would be good to hear about your stories?

I only have diesel cruiser utes, two 75 series and a 79 series.

Ground clearance and toughness are the 2 major reasons plus you can fix most things with fence wire, 100mph tape and cable ties. Parts are readily available at the tip or most stations and in little hick one horse towns, where as trying to get stuff for some of the other makes can take days to get freighted in.

Diesel, because you can get it anywhere while petrol can be a problem at times, also some parts at certain times of the year petrol vehicles are verboten due to the risk of fires.

Skinny 16ply tube tyres on split rims that you can change out in the bush are the go too.

Diesels can wade in water better than petrol as long as the air intake is high up and they are cheaper to run and it is not uncommon for a diesel to do over 700,000ks and more, petrol engine blocks and heads are thinner cast alloy or Iron, the clutches are stronger on diesels too which makes for better towing or off road use, since the mid 80's car makers have tried to make the engines as cheap and light as possible which does not always go hand in hand with a long life span,

J.

Toyota Hilux 1993 4x4 2.8lt Non Turbo diesel
Good low range pulling power to get me out of the trouble i have got myself into :8 :8 :8
Removed the tray body and replaced it with a XL Body to carry all my gear ]:D ]:D
1501224598_20161228_112727.jpg

Thanks for the replies, madtuna, you never mentioned if you`ve ever had expensive repairs to make?, probably would`nt matter with the amount of gold you`ve found over the years!!! Rockhunter probably one of those well off`s? who probably upgrades new every few years, so would`nt have to worry about any expensive problems? C`mon anyone had to spend bick bucks repairing a diesel?
And what do you reckon about auto`s, probably not good for really rugged terrain, not that i`m planning to ever go where i`ve got a good chance of screwing up the car, but i am a lazy driver and never really liked manuals, anyone bush bashed in an auto; if so, how did it go?

Toyota Hilux
2.8lt non turbo diesel 5 speed manual would never own an auto
Blew the big end 8 weeks +++ ago

Long Motor $6500.00 plus fitting
Short Motor $4500 plus fitting
Second hand Wreckers $4500.00 with 500k on the clock plus fitting

Bought a full ute for $1500.00 motor has done 270k

so the final figures
Motor $1500.00
Transport $200.00
Fitting and tuning, new clutch, water pump, timing belt, rear oil seal, $2800.00
TOTAL $4500.00

The older style diesels are the bullet proof ones,
ALL of the new common rail diesels are far from it, whether it be toyota, nissan ect.
The main problem with the newer style is poor fuel quality and lack of lubrication in the fuel. Water in the fuel is the major cause of injector and fuel pump failure.
To combat this, a extra filter should be fitted with water separator before the factory filter and a injector cleaner/lubricant should be used as diesel has less sulphur than before which is a lubrication for injectors and fuel pump. Another issue is carbon build up in the manifold and egr, this is caused mainly by gasses from the rocker cover being recululated through the intake, In this a case a catch can will catch oily fuel and leave dry air. All in all with some mods frequent oil and fuel filter changes they can last a long time.

ironrock said:
Thanks for the replies, madtuna, you never mentioned if you`ve ever had expensive repairs to make?, probably would`nt matter with the amount of gold you`ve found over the years!!! Rockhunter probably one of those well off`s? who probably upgrades new every few years, so would`nt have to worry about any expensive problems? C`mon anyone had to spend bick bucks repairing a diesel?
And what do you reckon about auto`s, probably not good for really rugged terrain, not that i`m planning to ever go where i`ve got a good chance of screwing up the car, but i am a lazy driver and never really liked manuals, anyone bush bashed in an auto; if so, how did it go?

Well Ironrock,

I can see that you must come from the newer age of people that expect everything to be given to you.

I can assure you that both Madtuna and myself have done the hard yards to get where we are now. MT has battled over the last several years and has only just started to have a bit of good luck. I myself have owned 5 4wds over the last 37 years with only the first one being a petrol model. Although I may work in the mines, I still have kids, wife, mortgage and other debts to pay. We have no investments. If I could own a Landcruiser I would, they are a hardy 4wd and generally fault free.

I hope that with your vast experience you will be able to find a reliable diesel 4wd on the budget that you have.

If all else fails go and buy a Lada Niva. Oh, that's right, you probably don't know what they are.

Cheers

Doug

80 series T/diesel 1996 Cruiser Auto Multi point injected FT motor , never had a tank of fuel without Morey's upper cylinder lubricant diesel additive to keep injectors and pump in good nick and never had to replace either. Fitted intercooler and retro manual hub lock conversion which improved fuel economy by 10 /15 percent , on recent run up to Darwin got better economy than my mates new BT 50 .
Thought many times of updating but just can't part with the old girl and won't go common rail . ( excellent post summit 1966 ).

Oldie but a goodie , personally with 20 k I would be looking for a very well maintained Toyota.

1501233514_image.jpg

Rockhunter62 said:
ironrock said:

Well Ironrock,

I can see that you must come from the newer age of people that expect everything to be given to you.

I can assure you that both Madtuna and myself have done the hard yards to get where we are now. MT has battled over the last several years and has only just started to have a bit of good luck. I myself have owned 5 4wds over the last 37 years with only the first one being a petrol model. Although I may work in the mines, I still have kids, wife, mortgage and other debts to pay. We have no investments. If I could own a Landcruiser I would, they are a hardy 4wd and generally fault free.

I hope that with your vast experience you will be able to find a reliable diesel 4wd on the budget that you have.

If all else fails go and buy a Lada Niva. Oh, that's right, you probably don't know what they are.

Cheers

Doug

Ironrock, nope never had to do major repairs, one of my 75 series (1998) has 430 000 on the clock and never skipped a beat. I've always had 4x4's and the vast majority have been Toyota.

RH, not sure but you might have me mixed up with someone else? Yep I've done the hard yards to get to where I am now but basically retired in my 40's and have been pretty fortunate as far as the gold goes, not just this latest find which allows me to have a comfortable living without any sort of govt benefit which I am quite proud of.

Rockhunter, i started it, with that gripe, fair enough, but i`ll just say this, there is grossly overpaid work and grossly underpaid work in this world, there are many reasons why a person cant be as successful as the next bloke, health problems etc.. i can say this, some of us work harder in a half lifetime, that some would need 2 full lifetimes to equal, and are paid considerably less, in most cases unfairly so. Such is this F***** up world, all i`m saying is, dont show off, you bet i`m envious of people who are doing better than me, when i`ve worked my F****** ass off and deserve my reward but no reward cometh.
To everyone else, good luck with your diesel`s, but i remain scared sh****** of em, because of the ridiculous prices charged for repairs.
Toyota seems like the go, and i`ll continue to do my research!!

Latest posts