What are some great gold detecters for under $250

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey im looking for a great metal detecter but not too expensive. Please let me know some great gold detecters
Thank Angus

Angus If you find won keep it to your self as everyone one will want one, depends on what you call not to expensive
at the moment minelab have a great deal on a new 4500 $3299 and that is a good deal ends 31/8
second hand is the other way to go a gp extreme $1200 to $1800 good entry level detector regards john :)

LOL... that's a looooong way from the stated $250.00 folks...

Angus, sorry to say, but i think you should do a little research around this site first to get a better idea of what's what.
I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting into the hobby, and what "old hand" above said has merit.

My advice.... reconsider your limit after a little search, and perhaps go to your local supplies shop (detecting centre) and perhaps hire one for a day or two and see if it is really for you.

Gypsy

Flash_crusoe1 said:
Hey im looking for a great metal detecter but not too expensive. Please let me know some great gold detecters
Thank Angus

This is the same question you asked forum members back in October 2014:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8663
You got some pretty good suggestions back then - have you done anything about them?

In any event, nothing's changed - $300 wasn't really enough for a gold detector then and $250 isn't enough now. IMHO, the best you can do for that sort of money is buy a cheap, used coin detector and pray for a miracle. :D

Hi Angus.....I present to you the best gold detector for under $250

a09ysx.jpg

A good $250 detector and go hunting coins on beaches and in parks etc , if you find heaps maybe a gold detector would be in your budget then. :)

Metamorphic has the most reliable gold detector for that money although I prefer the green "Garret" pans the gold looks better in them.

Flash_crusoe1 said:
Thank Angus

As soon as one of the guys lets you know which one to buy...let me know...I'll get one also!

Wow! under $250...I'd like to see that!

plenty of gold was found with 1970s, or 80s vintage machines.....would they be worth a shot?

Just be careful Flash there are a lot of fake detectors on ebay and gumtree mate. Companies in China make them to look like a real name brand detector and put inferior technology and cheap components inside. Do your research b4 you get to excited about a great deal, remember if it sounds to good to be true it probably isn't. :)

rocketaroo said:
plenty of gold was found with 1970s, or 80s vintage machines.....would they be worth a shot?

I wouldn't waste my time. The type of gold they could pick up is well and truely gone. With $250, better stick to coin detecting and save up for something better.

You could probably scrape in a GT16000 Mine lab for that.
If you could find one in reasonable condition.

Borrowed ,or stolen, from another forum.
All found with a $500.00 VLF you just have to find ground that has the gold in it and get to no your machine and you will find gold as they are a very capable detector
1440849665_image.jpg

What VLF Big Nugget did they say? I'm guessing a GB2 as its pretty small gold and they seem to be quite good on small stuff if the grounds conditions right.

Latest posts