Western Creek hit hard

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
Just got back from 3 weeks up North,plenty of people up that way this year, Western Creek is being hit hard rumors have it plenty of small stuff being found but not much on the bigger side.

We only did 2 days at the Creek and were told at the camp that 70 people were booked in for the week end, most just day plotters not camped there.

Headed to Gilberton for a week hard real hard not what I expected I will say no more.

Attached is our only finds main thing is we did find and learning all the time.

We came away this year with alot more knowledge of what we need to do in the field, that really out weighs the gold.
Cheers All
1435873552_img_2162_1.jpg

:)

Hi All
Yes it may have had some attention!! but there is a very good reason for that! it continues to produce good "Gold" on a regular basis, it has only been open for a little over 12 months, Gilberton has been open (restricted area) for over 20 years but still produces good "Gold", granted you will need to work harder & smarter for the "Gold" but it is still there & will continue to produce for years to come from a property of 81km2.
You will need to get further away from tracks & look in the harder to get to spots!! or not!! I am sure folks drive right past "Gold" everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have reliable reports of recent finds, 7oz nugget, 42g nugget, & many many smaller ones, there are no X marks the spot so you need to look hard!!, 70 people they may need traffic control shortly!!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers
Lee

Yep 70 people!!!!!!!!!! Debbie's own words who runs the camping area at Western Creek as I said most were day comers, I also know there is 30 campers heading there for 2 weeks on top of the others who still are there's its a lot of bodies out detecting.

Last year we did alright at Western Creek and yes I was there when over 12oz of gold came out of one area, everyone that was there was getting good nuggets out the back.

Doesn't matter what anyone says I've seen it, and seen the people up there this year and it is getting hit, does that mean I would stop going NO I will go back next year.

As for Gilberton no I wont go back, couldn't care how much gold they find, they deserve it if they can get it, we climbed hills well over burden more like mountains, and went into every gully possible worked walls we were tracking some 8ks a day of just hills and gully's.

Maybe the special people get to go into the restricted area out there, for all that were there that didn't want or couldn't battle the over burden mountains you just detected on the flats with everyone else.

3 smaller gold in photo was from Gilberton over the back of a mountain about 800m up a gully in the walls all of them 3 separate days. Yes we worked hard to get them

It is what it is and that cant be changed,

K-M

Hey K - M
I was not having a go at you personally!!
I know it can get tough to find "Gold" more so when you know how easy it was the year before.
To clarify, I know of "Gold" coming from Gilberton & have seen it, but I have never been there!!! I know it is a smallish area & I really have no intention of going there myself, I think they really need to open up some new ground to keep attracting prospectors!!!!!!
cheers
Lee

KIM-MARGARET said:
Hi All
Just got back from 3 weeks up North,plenty of people up that way this year, Western Creek is being hit hard rumors have it plenty of small stuff being found but not much on the bigger side.

We only did 2 days at the Creek and were told at the camp that 70 people were booked in for the week end, most just day plotters not camped there.

Headed to Gilberton for a week hard real hard not what I expected I will say no more.

Attached is our only finds main thing is we did find and learning all the time.

We came away this year with alot more knowledge of what we need to do in the field, that really out weighs the gold.
Cheers Allhttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1311/1435873552_img_2162_1.jpg
:)
I was up there in may for one small bit
one chap had a bit but got it last year
mond

I will definitely go back to Western Creek but I won't even turn the detector on until I am at least a km from a road. The good looking spots, and there are many of them, are very obvious and attract a lot of attention so anything close to a track is hit very hard.

I was there 3 weeks ago I only found 8 small bits ,but the day before I got there someone found a 6 OZ Nug :)

My 1st detecting trip :)

Heading back to Western Creek very soon. There's still plenty of country to look at, I love it out there this time of year.

Just spent 5 weeks at Western Creek, first time there and first time using 7000, wife using 2300.

After a slow start at which we were at point of leaving after 1st week we started to get a few small
bits. Faint signal on way back to car for smoko ended in 2hr dig for 36 little bits of leaf gold totalling
28g from 1 hole.
Stumbled onto another couple of small patches in other areas and ended with a couple of grams
shy of 7ozs. Largest bit was only 4g!!!

Margaret wish we had known it was you in the Keppal pools truck.....

Had to leave due to severe toothache. Will be heading back as soon as school holidays
and dental treatment over.

Cheers

Den & Linda

Just spent 5 weeks at Western Creek, first time there and first time using 7000, wife using 2300.

After a slow start at which we were at point of leaving after 1st week we started to get a few small
bits. Faint signal on way back to car for smoko ended in 2hr dig for 36 little bits of leaf gold totalling
28g from 1 hole.
Stumbled onto another couple of small patches in other areas and ended with a couple of grams

Had to leave due to severe toothache. Will be heading back as soon as school holidays

Cheers

Den & Linda

Well done Qlend. Was wondering how ya were going up there.
How's the little lady going with the 2300.
Good to hear it was worth the trip up.

Polky

Qlden said:

28g from 1 hole.

Cheers

Den & Linda

Nice going :)
That is a pretty good outcome & I bet you learnt a bit along the way!!!!!

Keppel Pools Hey
I remember seeing you there the year before!

cheers
Lee

Hi all & Linda & Den I was talking with Deb at the camp and she told me you were going to leave and then you got onto some leaf gold, 7oz good on you, I wish we could have met up, we will back next year love it up there.

The work truck certainly stands out, cant hide that's for sure.

Anyway Linda & Dennis you know the truck and name google it, if ever your in our area give us a call or drop a email..
Enjoy your time up there, we wish we were still there.

7oz WOW

K-M

Hi Polky, Linda not as comfortable with 2300 as she was with 5000. It played up a bit which didn't help.
Firstly cable problems then constant woo-wooing for a few sessions which would only come good after a slap!!!
(The machine not Linda)

Never got the zed satisfactorily quiet and had a lot of phantom digs but will have to live with it until we return
home in October. Have written to ML expressing my concerns.

Kim-Margaret, we will be returning down the coast later in the year so may catch up then.

Lee, yes learned a lot, one lesson being, having got 5 pieces late in the day I never returned to the spot until
2 days later........Toooo Late... the area had been gridded and there were dozens of fresh dig holes....... However, went
over it again moving some fallen branches and still ended up with 17g including a 4g and a 2.8g.

Looking forward to heading back out, thinking to give Dells Hole a go.

Cheers

Linda & Den

Western Creek gold rush over . Last year blind Freddy could get good gold with a Dick Smith detector there now your lucky to find a couple grams a week with a 7000. Just came back from there and guess what most people out there found nothing after one week . Don t be surprised if you come back empty handed most people do.

:lol: ! Given a long enough period of time you're probably correct! Was up at Western Creek late last year. No luck but then again only there a couple days. Surely the GPZ will kickstart the western creek rush :lol:

Latest posts