warrandyte visit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi atomrat I'm from millgrove can't wait to get out there
I've tried a few pans out of hoddles creek and found a bit of flour gold is there any other areas close by that are bit more well producing I saw you had asked about Yarra valley maps and should you make them

Awesome thanks mate maybe when the weather clears abit definitely keen do I post my mobile number

Yeah the rain doesn't help though I was out in it yesterday with my partner panning on the other side of a 1.5km paddock..lol

Nah don't post your number here its against forum rules, you will need to PM me those details, or if your lucky you might be able to see my number in my profile details ( I'm not sure ).

Most forum access gets unlocked like PM's when you make 10 posts on the forum. Please don't spam a heap of posts though to get the 10 faster, write informative posts regarding the topic :)

Hi Guys

I did the Warrandyte thing many years ago near Pound Bend Tunnel & also Andersons Creek
Back in the 80's i did quite well as an inexperienced panner. Now the Yarra is out of bounds i have had to look elsewhere.

These days i find myself at Panton Hill & Watsons Creek as they are both reasonably local to me
The gold is there to get if you think about where you dig & are prepared to work. Good chunky gold
I recently got my biggest nugget yet out near Panton Hill (nearly a gram)
I have seen a few guys ou there at Watsons Creek & lots of remnants of peoples prospecting efforts
So it is worth persisting.

I have tried Hoddles Creek with the sluice, the gold there is plentiful but very fine

I wont go back to Warrandyte because i cant prospect the Yarra & Andersons Creek has been done to death

I am going back out on Sunday for a dig & possibly a sluice

Regards

Dity Harry

Lilnuggett

I had agood day today, eventually got on to a good spot that produced
The key is to avoid the usual hot spots as they have already been done over

I concentrated on the shallow crevices in the bedrock & got some chunky colour

I experienced an unusual thing today, i watched 2 pieces of gold in the pan turn silver
Turns out that mercury was to blame turning the gold to amalgam
I have seen mercury in the pan here rolling around before but had no idea it would would attatch to gold so quickly

The old timers must have used a lot of mercury in the old days
I now need to reavaluate every piece of heavy silver in the pan

Apparently you use nitric acid, palm oil or a potatoe to remove the mercury

Looking forward to another dig tomorrow

Regards

Dirty Harry

Tryin to look on maps to find you mate but I cant see water along long gully? I was gonna try to make it there if I knew where you were in the creek, I dont know that area at all

I'm heading out atom at around 10:30
I know were it is quite well do you want to follow me it's out the back way from Yarra glen

Anyone keen on meeting up Saturday, now that footy is finished, I get me life back haha

Latest posts