warrandyte visit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been to warrandyte a few times for not much, has this place been worked over or am I going to the wrong area? Thanks in advance

Noah13 said:
Just at the car park on gold memorial rd

Matt & I went to the same spot today. Now I left after a couple of hours with nothing but Matt got 2 specks....Our first outing. But I won't be going back to that spot again it looks like it's been done to death.

All we did was dig the gravel in the creek and where there was clay below the gravel we tried that as well. We only went about 50M up and down stream from the car park. The clay was were we found the gold.

More research and maybe try the low flats of the Yarra River in Warrandyte?

Unfortunately Yarra River is on exempted list so off limits for panning. I have been to Andersons Creek number of times and found gold every single time. I would be happy to catch up with you next time you go out. PM me if interested. :)
There are other places you can go to that are not too far (30-45 min drive).

Beagleboy said:
Unfortunately Yarra River is on exempted list so off limits for panning. I have been to Andersons Creek number of times and found gold every single time. I would be happy to catch up with you next time you go out. PM me if interested. :)

Hi Beagleboy,

Thanks for reminding me to check the exempt list and I'd love to come out with you sometime to show me the ropes.

Regards

Aussie280

Beagleboy said:

Hey beagle boy,
retry that spot I showed you, there should still be water as well as a few water holes just up stream
and it's only 5 minutes away
there is also a big rock bar just up a little which always holds water, and a gravel bar just above it, this always has been a good spot for the highbanker

Hey beagle boy, we spoke a while ago, might catch up and check out a few other spots.

XIV said:
Beagleboy said:

Hey beagle boy,
retry that spot I showed you, there should still be water as well as a few water holes just up stream
there is also a big rock bar just up a little which always holds water, and a gravel bar just above it, this always has been a good spot for the highbanker

G'day XIV,

There still should be water in that spot. Last summer the whole creek dried up and I walked quite a distance up and down. Even took some photos so I can come back later when it's running again.
How are you enjoying The new place? Let me know when you visit Melbourne so we can catch up for a dig. :)

Beagleboy said:
XIV said:
Beagleboy said:

Hey beagle boy,

G'day XIV,

There still should be water in that spot. Last summer the whole creek dried up and I walked quite a distance up and down. Even took some photos so I can come back later when it's running again.
How are you enjoying The new place? Let me know when you visit Melbourne so we can catch up for a dig. :)

I should be down in vic later in the year
i will keep you posted, for when i get down
might have to organize a dig with balx, as I'm always up for a beer and a dig

Hey guys, looking at spending Saturday at warrendyte, anyone wanna join me get in contact.

I will be at Eldorado mate but we can catch up some other time. Good luck and hope you get some yellow.

Noah13 said:
Cheers mate, good luck out there, I might put that on me to do list haha
Definately do mate. Reedy Creek gold is fantastic...it's everywhere. If you're happy enough with the gold from Warrandyte, you'll be over the moon at Eldorado. After starting it all at Warrandyte, I've now been to Reedy Creek 3, maybe 4 times, and find it hard to get the motivation to get back to Warrandyte.
Good luck.

Sweet, I'm thinking of camping up there one weekend, to far to drive from Frankston haha

I well remember panning the Yarra during the 80's & doing quite well
After a lot of back breaking work i ended uo with a couple of ounces

There was a guy working the river at the back of the squash courts panning behind an island
He did very well, he told me he got 3-4 ounces out of one hole
His plan was to dig a big hole 2-3 feet deep in the gravel down to bed rock
This made wading around in the river very dangerous

He told me that some guys were panning the river in the 30's & filled jars with gold
The Yarra is still quite rich with gold in the less accessable areas

The problem now is the Yarra is off limits & the available area on Andersons Creek has been to death
I am keen to explore some other creeks in the Warrandyte area

Regards

Dirty Harry

Hey Guys,

I'm local to Warrandyte area and new to prospecting, (even used a wok today as a pan as I'm waiting for mine to arrive).

Would love to catch up, tag alone and explore the area around Anderson's Creek and do some digging/sluicing etc if anyone is interesting in showing me how.

I do work for the local Council so have access to some mapping/information also.

Welcome

Well the wok would have been interesting - but why not - the old-timers used to use anything and everything if they were close to a strike. Saucepans, hats, whatever was at hand.

your dedicated mining pan should work a lot better though - riffles make a big difference.

Andersons is interesting from an historical experience, and its amazing after so many years people still pulling gold from the creek. Its such a rich area for gold and when you look at google earth and think how much the course of the river would have snaked around over time, its no wonder you can stick a shovel in and find specks nearly anywhere.

once you have had a crack at panning buy yourself a sluice. After 6-8 hours panning you will appreciate why, and just how much more alluvials you can move. Then you will start thinking about how the gold got where it is, and at that point (like me) you will be hooked.

:)

Latest posts