warrandyte visit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sniffy said:
Welcome

Well the wok would have been interesting - but why not - the old-timers used to use anything and everything if they were close to a strike. Saucepans, hats, whatever was at hand.

your dedicated mining pan should work a lot better though - riffles make a big difference.

Andersons is interesting from an historical experience, and its amazing after so many years people still pulling gold from the creek. Its such a rich area for gold and when you look at google earth and think how much the course of the river would have snaked around over time, its no wonder you can stick a shovel in and find specks nearly anywhere.

once you have had a crack at panning buy yourself a sluice. After 6-8 hours panning you will appreciate why, and just how much more alluvials you can move. Then you will start thinking about how the gold got where it is, and at that point (like me) you will be hooked.

:)

Yes couldn't wait for the pan and the main section (Golden Mile) isn't far from my house so wondered down again, moreso just to study the water flow and currents for my knowledge. Saw two other guys out there as well.

The creek is incredibly full of tree and bark debris presently. Every 50m or so it's dammed and blocked up. Still water running quite fast however. The vegetation is quite dense also with not many flat areas to set up etc. Also difficult due to the restrictions and orange markers down there.

Thanks for the reply, going to get a small river sluice. I'm leaning towards one with the black rubber ripples instead of the miners moss/carpet/ripples. Have you an opinion one which one you would suggest for a novice etc?

AtomRat said:
If you guys head my way at all either, let me know ( warburton hwy )

I may do a goldfields tour of the Valley somehow for some members but its a large area. Hard to cover and see in one day.

Hey,

Yeah would be great. Let me know if you ever do.

I'm not far and often travel that way. I have been riding dirtbikes around there for a while. Have always wanted to get a better local knowledge of the area.

undercover said:
Yes couldn't wait for the pan and the main section (Golden Mile) isn't far from my house so wondered down again, moreso just to study the water flow and currents for my knowledge. Saw two other guys out there as well.

The creek is incredibly full of tree and bark debris presently. Every 50m or so it's dammed and blocked up. Still water running quite fast however. The vegetation is quite dense also with not many flat areas to set up etc. Also difficult due to the restrictions and orange markers down there.

Thanks for the reply, going to get a small river sluice. I'm leaning towards one with the black rubber ripples instead of the miners moss/carpet/ripples. Have you an opinion one which one you would suggest for a novice etc?

Check out the Angus Mackirk sluices - google 'prospecting supplies Melbourne'.

I bought a 'Boss' from there, and that thing captures stuff down to the size of grains of flour. It needs a reasonable waterflow though - but there are smaller ones that need less water. you won't regret having one, and I drag mine along everywhere.

Guy who runs the online store is very friendly and will steer you in the right direction over putting money in his pocket.

Sniffy said:
undercover said:

Check out the Angus Mackirk sluices - google 'prospecting supplies Melbourne'.

I bought a 'Boss' from there, and that thing captures stuff down to the size of grains of flour. It needs a reasonable waterflow though - but there are smaller ones that need less water. you won't regret having one, and I drag mine along everywhere.

Guy who runs the online store is very friendly and will steer you in the right direction over putting money in his pocket.

Appricate the advice, will have a look now.

undercover said:
Hey Guys,

I'm local to Warrandyte area and new to prospecting, (even used a wok today as a pan as I'm waiting for mine to arrive).

Would love to catch up, tag alone and explore the area around Anderson's Creek and do some digging/sluicing etc if anyone is interesting in showing me how.

I do work for the local Council so have access to some mapping/information also.

G'day mate, I am also local and i would be more than happy to catch up for a panning session. If you like you can borrow some of my gear to try while you waiting to get yours. I have spare pan you can have for free. You can pick it up today if you want. Just PM me. BB

Beagleboy said:
undercover said:
Hey Guys,

I'm local to Warrandyte area and new to prospecting, (even used a wok today as a pan as I'm waiting for mine to arrive).

Would love to catch up, tag alone and explore the area around Anderson's Creek and do some digging/sluicing etc if anyone is interesting in showing me how.

I do work for the local Council so have access to some mapping/information also.

G'day mate, I am also local and i would be more than happy to catch up for a panning session. If you like you can borrow some of my gear to try while you waiting to get yours. I have spare pan you can have for free. You can pick it up today if you want. Just PM me. BB

Hey mate,

That's a great offer thanks, its about time I started getting out and doing instead of reading. Haha.

Not sure I can PM you just yet as I have only done #6 posts. Can you send me one to reply to? I'll hit #10 kick fast anyway.

Nice day to go for a dig! In fact, I've never dug at warrandyte yet, can I tag along sometime too?

We can't PM you either until you make the 10 posts mate but please don't spam post to throw up the count

AtomRat said:
Nice day to go for a dig!

Great Day! being a Friday its also tempting to leave work early and pack away the camping gear to go exploring....

Can't wait for the warmer weather to take the kids out exploring the creek beds/crevices when they dry out 8.(

AtomRat said:
Nice day to go for a dig! In fact, I've never dug at warrandyte yet, can I tag along sometime too?

Was looking yesterday at the creek (Anderson's), would be great to walk upstream. Some great rock crevices and sections I'd love to poke about in.

AtomRat said:

I may do a goldfields tour of the Valley somehow for some members but its a large area. Hard to cover and see in one day.
I'd be very keen to tag along and pick your brains one day AtomRat, my folks have lived in Warby for the past 25 years and I recently moved back out after 5 years but unfortunately was not into prospecting/fossicking at the time, some beautiful places up in the Valley and I've seen some old shafts and relics whist 4WDing or dirt bike riding years ago up off Old Warby Hwy behind Little Joe, wouldn't remember exactly where they are now but there's definitely a lot to like out that way.

ProspectorPete said:
AtomRat said:

I'd be very keen to tag along and pick your brains one day AtomRat, my folks have lived in Warby for the past 25 years and I recently moved back out after 5 years but unfortunately was not into prospecting/fossicking at the time, some beautiful places up in the Valley and I've seen some old shafts and relics whist 4WDing or dirt bike riding years ago up off Old Warby Hwy behind Little Joe, wouldn't remember exactly where they are now but there's definitely a lot to like out that way.
I was there today mate taking photos and film of the mines :) Throw me a PM whenever you like to organise just a meet if you like. Im never too far away. You live back in warby? or you moved away 5 years ago?

If your not too far, either a day trip or I can get you somewhere to camp if you have gear and want to do a 2 day.

Im finding it hard to try and compile a tour within a days trip, dont think it would be worth it for those who have to travel any further than an hour to get out here at the start of the day. dunno

AtomRat said:

We can't PM you either until you make the 10 posts mate but please don't spam post to throw up the count

Atom Rat, you have much nicer area to explore but next time I see you we can arrange something. l always have time for you, mate. :)

AtomRat said:
You live back in warby? or you moved away 5 years ago?
I've lived in Woori Yallock & Launch for a few years going back 20 years now and moved back to Warby 7 years ago but moved to Narre Warren Sth 2 years ago so I'm pretty familiar with most of the area, spent a lot of time trout fishing and camping out as far as Big River, Gaffney's etc. love the general area but it's a whole new place when looking from prospecting eyes, so much area and so little time to really get in and explore.
I usually head up to see the folks once every 1-2 months so will PM you when I get a free weekend coming up and hopefully organise a trip to get out and have some fun.

ProspectorPete said:
AtomRat said:
You live back in warby? or you moved away 5 years ago?
I've lived in Woori Yallock & Launch for a few years going back 20 years now and moved back to Warby 7 years ago but moved to Narre Warren Sth 2 years ago so I'm pretty familiar with most of the area, spent a lot of time trout fishing and camping out as far as Big River, Gaffney's etc. love the general area but it's a whole new place when looking from prospecting eyes, so much area and so little time to really get in and explore.
I usually head up to see the folks once every 1-2 months so will PM you when I get a free weekend coming up and hopefully organise a trip to get out and have some fun.
Sounds great man! Will have a dig with you soon :)

AtomRat said:
Did you get to catch up with beagleboy today undercover?

Hey Atomrat,

Not today as I was looking after my kids, but did end up getting a MD to play around with (did a post in the Minelab thread).

Did make contact with BB and will PM when everyone can maybe head down somewhere local for a dig etc.

Hi i am new to the forum and live also in the Yarra valley I was wondering if anyone on there next trip to Warrandyte would mind if I tagged along
I am still new to prospecting and would love to learn a few tips
Thanks in advance Matt

Latest posts