Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry said:
hi jackgee the mat is a door mat I used for the wal banker you get at bunnings its band name bayliss 60 it is rubber backed mat this is what wal told me to buy stops the gold from going through and out the bottom about $28 you get 2 mats out of it there is a small one you get 1 mate out it cheers

I have found the rub mat at Buninings BUT its not as course as the one Wal has on the video, ( he talks about 2 sizes on the video) does any one know where to get the thicker mat.
Cheers
Jack

jackgee hi mate went through the same thing I talked to the bayliss rep and got bunnings to talk to bayliss they told me there was only one texture but 2 sizes in the mats looked though heaps of these mats till found the courses pile I could find there was a little difference I think its only catching fine gold not nuggets that' would be nice the nuggets I mean
terry

Terry said:
I also think that looking at wals mat it could be the camera making it look bigger

Thanks, thats the one in bought. But it is only 10mm including the backing.
The one on Wals video when he shows the profile looks alot higher and less dense weave.
Once again thanks, just came back from some prospecting, with no luck. Like I said earlier I am only new to this fun pass time.
I did some test pans couple of weeks ago and found about 30 specs of fines per pan, came back today and some one already cleaned out all the bars
I tried test panning couple other spots and 1 spec after 7 or 8 test pans
Dont know if it was beginers luck last time
Its hard when new and dont know many areas

Hi Everyone,

Long time scratcher, short time forum member, once happy, now married. Southern Tablelands NSW based.

After a 6 year hiatus from panning, 'Master 12' and his little brother, 'The Red Headed Grandparents Revenge, the child who no's know fear, Junior 9' have been watching the TV show "Gold" and have decided that they want to be gold miners. My excuse for dusting off my old two tier sluice and dragging out the pans....and I am sticking to it....... ;)

We had a day on the river at Turon not so long ago and the bug has bitten me us (again)...... we managed to turn a small amount of color for the boys, and they have been pestering me since for a return trip. Then She Who Must Be Obeyed heard that there are Sapphires to be found not far from home!...... and so my life ends :D

I have been wondering how to improve the performance of my set up, after reading some of the stories here and looking back on how I used the sluice I wonder how much gold I have actually washed out of the bottom !!! :mad:

I am in the process of building a Hi-banker and will use this to replace the current bottom of my sluice (photos to follow).

Just wondering if anyone has tried this in the past?

I will use the current green nylon carpet and riffles in the new hi-banker bottom, I have sourced the expanded aluminum but am having a bit of trouble finding the bread basket bits. I have approached two local bakers about broken ones (neither had one) and short of a 'midnight stock-take' at Coles :eek: I have had no luck........ would anyone know where I can get some or would anyone have some for sale?

I would also ask everyone's patience and indulge me a few dumb questions from time to time while I fine tune everything. The new sluice will have a small Honda two-stroke pushing the water up to a 40mm PVC square set up with a ring of 2.5mm holes drilled into it that has replaced the original flooding system and works a bit better an seems to hold the material up higher an a bit longer in order to wash and break down the mud and clay.

Would appreciate any comments, thoughts, secrets(shhh, I promise not to tell anyone....) or pokes of fun, or maybe if anyone was interested in a group (local) trip one weekend.

thks in advance.

No Nuggets.

Wish you were not far away. One of the local places here just gave me 12 of them. :)
Enough to keep me happy in design work for a while. LOL

Hi Cold, wet & no nuggets,

If you try Clarks rubber you might score the mat you are after?
Reason I am saying this is I went to the local one here and he almost gave it to me as he couldn't sell it,
I scored a piece 2m X 1 m for $36.oo which my budget could handle ok.
ps, he even cut it for me too, bargain.
Cheers
Goldslave

Hi everyone, sorry this might be a stupid question but what thickness of aluminium is everyone using? Was thinking 3mm, just wondering if any one has used anything smaller and if so how is it holding up.

Cheers Terry

3 mm would last forever but you would need a couple of extra muesli bars to carry it

1.2 mm could be used but will wear out and dent easily

If you want a lightweight backpacker that you can carry all the way to bourke and back 1.6 - 2.0 mm would work

:)

another option between wear resistance and light weight is to either use full HDPE plastic or a layer of 2 - 3 mm HDPE on top of 1.2 mm aluminium

take a look at Ryan27's highbanker photos , he uses minimalistic use of aluminium , only where its needed for structural integrity and then HDPE in "abrasion engagement zones"

vely sexy

Hi Wal, thanks for the inspiration to build a banker based on your own one.. I have a question that you have probably been asked already.

What pump would you suggest to use? Any info would help.. I have a post in the DIY section if you would like to see pics..

Cheers Waz

Wal usually recommends the Honda WX15 (1.5") or an equivalent pump. From memory the Walbanker requires a delivery of at least 200ltrs/min.

Hey Wal,
Newbie here. First post. I am in Los Angeles and am building your combination high banker. The walkway/catwalk is the final piece in the puzzle for me and am finding it nearly impossible to obtain here in the states. Do you know of any place here in the states that sells similar catwalk? I have been through the prospectingaustralia.com site to find if anyone else is in a similar situation. No luck.
Please help... so close and yet so far...
Thank you sir in advance,
Steve

Latest posts