Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
daveggs said:
The following began in my introductory post (pid=48445, but cannot post link until I hit 10 posts) but the following content is more relevant here I believe (or at least in the DIY projects category anyway) ... (moderators please relocate/link as required, thanks :))

WalnLiz said:
Welcome to the forum Dave....Got to give you top marks for perseverance, but looks like the banker is getting pretty close to being optimal for where you fossick. Hoping the forum can help with lots of information, as a pool of ideas gives all a lot more to work with.

Best of luck and if you need any advice just holla, and a member will get back to you.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks for the encouragement Wal :)

DIY Highbanker Mk4 progress update ... Measured the dimensions of my Mk3 sluice body and it is remarkably similar to yours, considering I built it without reference to anything similar :/. When bolted together, the body is 1540 long by 100 high, 300 wide at the head, 250 at the end). Finally got the bits together Sunday evening to add legs based on your design. Also found myself a bread crate discarded in a parking lot :) -- only 1 damaged handle, so it's perfect for this! Someone gave me a security screen window (like a typical security screen door) although the mesh is only about 5mm thick with rounded edges and holes are 80 x 70 (almost square), which is around twice the width and half the height of your catwalk mesh (will have to watch this closely in testing).

I have been using ribbed rubber door mats (profile looks like 'LLLLLLL' about 2mm wide by 3mm deep) successfully since my Mk2 (wheelie bin sluice) without any riffles, mesh or other matting. Works OK for the fine Shoalhaven gold anyway. Self cleans really well, even a lot of the black sand reluctantly moves along after the blond has flushed away, leaving only little gold flecks glowing in the grooves.

Now it really is time to lift my game, however! So I will be testing more comprehensive catchment options, including the low profile security mesh (mentioned above) as the boiler, followed by 64cm of bread crate base (actual base is 55 x 65 cm) with the diamond shapes cut out to create those zigzag patterns along the whole length. This will have the ribbed matting underneath to hold any fine gold that gets past the boiler and aluminium angle riffle into the bread crate section (based on your design Wal).

Not sure what I will do at the outlet end yet. I'm mainly after the gold, but would love to try sapphires as well :p. Also planning to expand my efforts into many new locations this year -- and next. Would love to know where to try around Tuena, Grabben Gullen and other spots (such as Oberon region).

Cheers,
Dave E :cool:

G'day Dave,

You've got over you're required 10 posts now Dave, so send me a PM and I'll go into a lot more detail with you regarding the banker, and the various set up options.

I can also have a chat to you about some of the locations you have mentioned. ;)

Cheers Wal.

PJ Gibson said:
Hi Wal,

I'm new to this site, been watching your vids on youtube (feels like I already know you and Liz) anyway keen to get one of your HB's (My first) can you PM me with a price etc. That's if you have the time to put together another one of your fine specimens. Keen to take the kids out and get them hooked big time.

Regards PJ

G'day PJ,

You need to get 10 posts up before the PM system becomes available.

Love to have a chat about the various HB options....so only need a few more posts to open that PM option.

Talk soon mate,

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
PJ Gibson said:
Hi Wal,

I'm new to this site, been watching your vids on youtube (feels like I already know you and Liz) anyway keen to get one of your HB's (My first) can you PM me with a price etc. That's if you have the time to put together another one of your fine specimens. Keen to take the kids out and get them hooked big time.

Regards PJ

G'day PJ,

You need to get 10 posts up before the PM system becomes available.

Love to have a chat about the various HB options....so only need a few more posts to open that PM option.

Talk soon mate,

Cheers Wal.

Thanks for your reply will get onto that asap.

My Walbanker Update. (Thanks Wal for your expertise)

Today made rapid progress sourcing materials, the stars just aligned!

Had Lake Macquarie Sheet Metal bend up my box. I tried to but a 3mm aluminium I soon found out it was impossible. Whilst I was there I noticed some aluminium catwalk leaning against a wall, sheepishly asked if that was an off cut and could I get 300mm off one end. Total cost for the bending and catwalk $20. I was seriously happy and could not thank them enough for their help.

Next step off to Bunnings to get Bayliss 900 x 600 backed matt, chose dark brown over tan and black.

On my way to work called into Newcastle Chainsaws and Mowers to seek out a WX15 for $700 as did another member from this forum. Best he could do was $719 which was due to our weakening dollar. Still $100 off RRP so happy with that! Nice friendly staff as well. I was torn between Genquip and Honda and the $400 difference in price but I will take Wals advice and I have a Honda Lawn Mower that starts first pull every time without exception. Driving from Newcastle for 3 to 4 hours to a location and having a pump failure is not my idea of a fun day out.

Found an old bread crate near a caf that was covered in coal dust and spider webs.

Need to now build the hopper figure out how to attach and research hose and plumbing options.

My Walbanker will be built to Wals exact specs. Why tinker with 40 years of perfecting this beast?

Again 3 to 4 hours drive for gold from here, I know it will work and be shovelling rather than tinkering.

Craig

Cheap folding there mate, on a winner. Alot of places have minimum charge so good deal.

Goldtarget said:
Cheap folding there mate, on a winner. Alot of places have minimum charge so good deal.

Yes was not sure what they would charge. Was very interesting to watch, the hydraulic folding machine made it look easy!

Just seeing the shape formed had me excited!

1390905694_imag0759.jpg

Retirement Stone said:
My Walbanker Update. (Thanks Wal for your expertise)

Today made rapid progress sourcing materials, the stars just aligned!

Had Lake Macquarie Sheet Metal bend up my box. I tried to but a 3mm aluminium I soon found out it was impossible. Whilst I was there I noticed some aluminium catwalk leaning against a wall, sheepishly asked if that was an off cut and could I get 300mm off one end. Total cost for the bending and catwalk $20. I was seriously happy and could not thank them enough for their help.

Next step off to Bunnings to get Bayliss 900 x 600 backed matt, chose dark brown over tan and black.

On my way to work called into Newcastle Chainsaws and Mowers to seek out a WX15 for $700 as did another member from this forum. Best he could do was $719 which was due to our weakening dollar. Still $100 off RRP so happy with that! Nice friendly staff as well. I was torn between Genquip and Honda and the $400 difference in price but I will take Wals advice and I have a Honda Lawn Mower that starts first pull every time without exception. Driving from Newcastle for 3 to 4 hours to a location and having a pump failure is not my idea of a fun day out.

Found an old bread crate near a caf that was covered in coal dust and spider webs.

Need to now build the hopper figure out how to attach and research hose and plumbing options.

My Walbanker will be built to Wals exact specs. Why tinker with 40 years of perfecting this beast?

Again 3 to 4 hours drive for gold from here, I know it will work and be shovelling rather than tinkering.

Craig

Send me a PM Craig and I'll go through some combinations for you as the banker on the forum is mainly my Sapphire version. I have 3 versions for different areas so can advise you of whats best for your area.

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
Send me a PM Craig and I'll go through some combinations for you as the banker on the forum is mainly my Sapphire version. I have 3 versions for different areas so can advise you of whats best for your area.

Cheers Wal.

Hi Wal,

I clicked the email link in the left had pane and replied to you, is that how we PM on this forum?

Regards

Craig

Retirement Stone said:
WalnLiz said:

Cheers Wal.

Hi Wal,

I clicked the email link in the left had pane and replied to you, is that how we PM on this forum?

Regards

Craig

That is the email function. I just noticed you had PM's turned off in your profile so I have now enabled it for you. You should now see a PM link next to the email one :)

Ah Ha.............Thank you Nugget! I did look at your post re forum rules. Thanks again mate!

1391089530_walbankerinactionsmall.jpg

Thanks to Wal, I got my Walbanker ready as well.
Leg supports are currently out of wood, but already have alu ones to go on once the holes have been drilled.

Modified it a bit, so that I can use it as a sluice as well.
1388668942_walbankersluice.jpg

The sluice setup got us gold at Oallen.
The paydirt from the Walbanker setup has to be cleaned yet.

Walbanker Update #2

Steady progress. I don't know how you blokes just knock one up in a day? Three half days drilling, pop riveting, cutting filing, trips to Bunnings for supplies.

Starting to take shape.

1391318191_imag0774.jpg

Looking up the schute.

1391318233_imag0776.jpg

Bread Crate. I messed it up slightly, its not strictly zig zagging all the way from top to bottom. Will this affect it? I have another piece that I will cut correctly.

1391318786_imag0777.jpg

Finally can some one put my mind at ease. I tried running a garden hose through the box, there was not enough volume for the water to travel over the mesh and flood over the bread crate. I have ordered a Honda WX15 Pump that should push the required water through.

Any issues in using a 40mm pvc pipe for the spray bar with cross cut saw cuts? (left over legs)

One last thing, because I pop riveted the box and hopper together, is there any known issues with using gutter silicone to seal the leaks?

Cheers

Craig

Retirement Stone said:
Walbanker Update #2

One last thing, because I pop riveted the box and hopper together, is there any known issues with using gutter silicone to seal the leaks?

Cheers

Craig

Best off using sikaflex as it is more durable and adheres better than silicone.
Reeko

Retirement Stone said:
Walbanker Update #2

Steady progress. I don't know how you blokes just knock one up in a day? Three half days drilling, pop riveting, cutting filing, trips to Bunnings for supplies.

Starting to take shape.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1817/1391318191_imag0774.jpg

Looking up the schute.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1817/1391318233_imag0776.jpg

Bread Crate. I messed it up slightly, its not strictly zig zagging all the way from top to bottom. Will this affect it? I have another piece that I will cut correctly.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1817/1391318786_imag0777.jpg

Finally can some one put my mind at ease. I tried running a garden hose through the box, there was not enough volume for the water to travel over the mesh and flood over the bread crate. I have ordered a Honda WX15 Pump that should push the required water through.

Any issues in using a 40mm pvc pipe for the spray bar with cross cut saw cuts? (left over legs)

Cheers

Craig

Cut outs you have will work just fine Craig. The main idea is to get as many directional changes as possible. A garden hose will never deliver enough water volume for this sized Banker. The wx15 will deliver with plenty to spare and won't let you down.

Left over legs will work fine for the spray bar, and roof / gutter silicone will do the job just fine as well.

Cheers Wal.

Thank you Gents. You are Legends!

I will sleep well tonight, Knowing I am heading down the right track!

Thank again, It would not have been possible without your knowledge and willingness to help new starters learn.

Kind Regards

Craig

Looking good Col. See you're running the Gold / Sapphire version mate. If you're going to use it for gold only I'd take out the expanded at the front of the sluice and run the crate right to the front. This will give you a longer slick plate and be more effective on the flour gold.

Good to have both systems up your sleeve as they're so cheap to put together. Best of luck with it and hope the gold cooperates on your next trip out.

Cheers Wal.

Col,

Looks great, colour coded! What pump you looking at?

Keep up updated as you go!

Cheers

Craig

Walbanker Update #3

Gold only setup, just need to source sloped mesh to slot in where catwalk mesh sits. Wal am I correct in assuming extra bread crate and matting at the exit chute section would be more beneficial for fine alluvial gold rather than catwalk/sloped mesh?

Wal you are a genius designing interchangeable sections to suit different applications. Gold only, Gold and Gem, Gem only.

1391494772_imag0799.jpg

Classifier screen, check. Pimped exit chute end, note taper, looks more commercial made now.

1391494927_imag0791.jpg

Just waiting for the pump, hoses and fittings to arrive, all sourced from advice generously given from this forum.

I hope I can eventually give back as much as I have received from this forum.

Need to make scraper as per Wals design. Patent Pending!!!!

My only regret is probably building it in 3mm aluminium, tad heavy but I have teenage boys to assist. Will never wear it out I guess?

Cheers

Latest posts