Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
366Cobra said:
Thanks for sharing Wal.

I sourced some expanded mesh, but it is very thick.
Cannot imagine that the crate and the mesh will match in height.
Do they need to be the same height?

The tall Catwalk is no good as all the rocking in the world won't clear it. For the Gemstones you need the 12mm Catwalk and for the gold you need about the same size sloped expanded. Both these are about the same height as the crate.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks Wal, I will give this a go and I'll post a pic of the completed unit. I am even more excited now :)

headbut said:
farmeroz said:
Having trouble finding the catwalk stuff..

Have a catalogue of all the expanded mesh I can get which is a fair few different types.
The catwalk stuff looks like its vertical and not angled , is that correct?

Like to use mine for both gems and yellow stuff, but wasnt sure if its the vertical im after or if the angled stuff is the same or better?

Yours sincerely
Confused
:)

EDited : is the stuff you use the same as or just like a screen security door?

Hi farmeroz , Ulrich Aluminium has the mesh. If you speak to Humphrey in custom jobs section , they often have offcuts they will sell, rather than buy 6m of it. Its at Wetherill Park in Sydney .

They do have different size mesh, so get as low profile as possible. I had to grind 12 mm off 8.(

Cheers Paul
http://www.ullrich.com.au/

I have spoken to the rep guy that comes around to work from Ulrich at Newcastle and they dont do and cuts on these catwalk sheets and only can do a 6m sheet for $300.. :(

I might give the wetherill park branch a call and go through them but then it means i cant put it on the work account :p.

Has anyone else found any other suppliers of the catwalk ?

Wal - I will be mostly using the banker in areas with both gems and gold and would rather stick with the catwalk... but I was wondering what size the expanded mesh is best to use for banking for gold only ?
I have a pdf of all the sizes available (16meg file too big to add into here?)

The biggest angled walkway expanded mesh is 45mm x 135mm , or the next size down is 34mm x 120mm.... (thickness 15.5mm and 20mm thick)

I thought the 45 x 135 x 15.5mm is proberly more the size of the catwalk stuff....

any suggestions ?

I dont mind using just the expanded mesh for chasing the yellow stuff for now and then upgrade to catwalk later. My Father wants to go out soon and im running out of time :p

the plastic tip top tray stuff plus the miners moss come to 20 mm in height so i am assuming the 20 mm would be the right one to use

hopefully someone else here can validate what Wal uses . i dont want to interrupt his swingin good time holiday by messaging him to check

Hey Farmeroz

If you can wait for a couple of weeks i will be in the hunter area when i get back from central QLD,i can give you some proper mesh.

Pauly T

Cheers pauly , I was thinking of just milling some catwalk out of some aluminium plate at work if I got too desperate..

I saved some smaller expanded mesh from a scrap bin at a fabrication shop, but not sure how it would go. I think the mesh might be too small for the waterflow and not give it a chance to swirl the yellow down... ( its about 20x50 gap at a guess)

Hey great job wal. I'm new to this forum. Having a lot of trouble finding the catwalk. Does anyone know the best place to get it in sydney. Ullrich Smithfield only sell 6m lengths. Oh well I will keep on looking hopefully I find it soon before we go to hill end.

Hi Golden HSV , re post # 151, mention you want an offcut & they will put you through to custom orders, speak to Humphrey

Cheers Paul

Great banker wal I am in the prosess of building one but am finding it hard to find the catwalk mesh. The only place I can find it they want me to buy a 6m sheet any ideas where I might find some.I don't mind paying for it and postage if anyone knows a place that has offcuts
Thanks Mick .

Howdy all, I am having a very hard time finding the correct catwalk mesh for the Walbanker. I will be running it for sapphires only but will build it for both gold and gems. I managed to get some mesh from Ullrich, UWG22, but its not the right one as its 22mm high. Ullrich have a lower profile one, UWG13, 13mm, but the sides are sloped in. Is this the right one? Can somebody give me a model number or specifics of the mesh? Thanks all.

Hi Dozzer , I too had the high mesh , so if you spend a bit of time with a grinder & belt sander , you can bring it down. Then finish with a flap wheel, comes up good. Cheers Paul

For all those in Canberra, Metalmart (recycling) in Fyshwick has pieces (~350mmx400mm) of catwalk mesh
I measured mine I got from there and it is 12mm high.

Found a bread crate that is 10mm high, so hopefully that will work with the 12mm catwalk.

Hi Wal [ n Liz ;) ]
Just wanted to say a huge thank you for posting the utube clip and the specs for the highbanker. Now if I can just get my brother to build it ;)
Cheers Natascha

Thanks Headbut, it may come to that if I can't locate the lower profile catwalk. 8.(

HeadsUp said:
my Highbanker is pretty much finished except i will add an irrigation filter in the last metre of hose before the spray bars

I made the grizzly section longer than anyone elses i have seen ( 280 mm ) and the boiler box a bit longer too , with spray bars on 4 sides giving everything a really good soak to get any fines and mud washed off it , made the hungry apron 480 mm wide at the top so the shovel doesnt foul on anything when i am tired , and so i dont break the spray bars with any misdirected shovels.

I put 1200 mm of flex hose at the spray bars because layflat hose doesnt like corners and kinks.

The McKirk Foreman sluice underneath it can unclip and be used as a river sluice , or plug a bilge pump onto it for small river work

I am also nearly finished a secondary sluice to clip on the front made to Wal's spec of breadcrate over Ultimat miners moss to catch the micron flecks of gold as found in the shoalhaven.

It is made quite heavy to last a few years but still comes in at a weight that can be backpacked a few miles without wearing me out. not a very good photo sorry . might take another pic in daylight

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/414/1374580110_my_hb.jpg
hey there..just a quick one..
are the grizzly bars from a data centre floor grate ?...they look very similar to the ones I can get
if so, how did it go, was going to ues the same thing, but thought they might jam up with stones between the runs!

westatrest said:
HeadsUp said:
my Highbanker is pretty much finished except i will add an irrigation filter in the last metre of hose before the spray bars

I made the grizzly section longer than anyone elses i have seen ( 280 mm ) and the boiler box a bit longer too , with spray bars on 4 sides giving everything a really good soak to get any fines and mud washed off it , made the hungry apron 480 mm wide at the top so the shovel doesnt foul on anything when i am tired , and so i dont break the spray bars with any misdirected shovels.

I put 1200 mm of flex hose at the spray bars because layflat hose doesnt like corners and kinks.

The McKirk Foreman sluice underneath it can unclip and be used as a river sluice , or plug a bilge pump onto it for small river work

I am also nearly finished a secondary sluice to clip on the front made to Wal's spec of breadcrate over Ultimat miners moss to catch the micron flecks of gold as found in the shoalhaven.

It is made quite heavy to last a few years but still comes in at a weight that can be backpacked a few miles without wearing me out. not a very good photo sorry . might take another pic in daylight

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/414/1374580110_my_hb.jpg
hey there..just a quick one..
are the grizzly bars from a data centre floor grate ?...they look very similar to the ones I can get
if so, how did it go, was going to ues the same thing, but thought they might jam up with stones between the runs!

no , i made the grizzly screen out of 12 x 3 mm stainless flat bar on its edge but found that the 13 mm gaps between the bars was too big for some locations as the sluice got overwhelmed with enthusiastic shovelling on my part and i lost 80 % of the gold on that trip just blowing it out the end of the sluice.

I have made another one now with 5 mm gaps between the bars and will try that on my next trip

I can change the grizzly screen in 2 seconds which is handy because they do need to be cleaned out of rock every now and then

The 5 mm gaps will mean more volume of material going out the tailings end of the grizzly and the sluice wont get overwhelmed

Wal or anyone else thats already made one of these, what size are the square holes in the bread crate? I'm finding a few with funny star and hexagonal pattern bases and some square based ones which appear to be much larger holes that the ones pictured through out this thread.

Cheers
Adam

elbowgrease said:
Wal or anyone else thats already made one of these, what size are the square holes in the bread crate? I'm finding a few with funny star and hexagonal pattern bases and some square based ones which appear to be much larger holes that the ones pictured through out this thread.

Cheers
Adam

Anyone in my area, I have several breadcrates if anyone wants them. Maitland, Newcastle, lower Hunter Valley.

Rod

Latest posts