Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WalnLiz said:
Great ltttle Banker there mate, look forward to seeing some of the gold with the unit, best of luck.

cheers Wal,

thanks for the inspiration Wal . you shovelled many hard yards of your own to get your ideas , thanks for sharing

I kind of did it my way coz i try not to copy other peoples stuff and try to keep independantly unique so my creative juices are encouraged to flow , but i am copying your TipTop / ultimat idea for the secondary sluice coz i think it will work very successfully :)

i will let you know when i hit my millenium of shovels 'shovelled' and get my first 44 gallon drum full of fine gold haha

hope it doesnt take a million years . that would cost me a motza in worn out shovels :eek:

best wishes Wal

I'm sure the gold will be flowing freely mate, and the jar will become heavy before you know it. Location is the key, and the location is usually a good distant walk. The banker looks like it can be hiked into some remote areas, so success could be only around the corner.

Cheers Wal.

marly said:
Hi Wal, thanks for the great design and instruction. I'm also going to try to build one and have sourced most of the materials but am stuck at the aluminium strip between the first piece of catwalk (not the bum end) and the bread crate, and has a sort of h profile. What is it known as? I've learnt a lot from the vids_ thanks Wal n Liz! :)

G'day marly,

The profile is a "C" section of aluminium with a standard aluminium angle pop riveted to it. The "C" section slides over the crate and the angle holds it in place via a bolt and wing nut through the sluice.

This is just an old way of doing it and there are many different methods of holding the crate down.

Cheers Wal.

Hi Wal,

That explains it. Thanks again for sharing your hi-banker design. I'll also post a picture of what I've made from it when its completed.

Best Regards!
Marly

Great diy, I'm looking at the milk crate riffles, I have a few different shapes and sizes, that ill have to trial and error. Hopefully I find a good 1 :)

Hi Wal,

Which home tools can I use to cut and fold the aluminium sheets? (I very much appreciate your time and knowledge.)

Thanks
Marly

Hi Wal,

Some key pictures with the specifications aren't displaying properly any longer (though a few still are). 8.(

Marly :)

Seems to be working fine on my end, try refreshing the page (Ctrl + f5)

Let me know how it goes.

Nugget.

marly said:
Hi Wal,

Which home tools can I use to cut and fold the aluminium sheets? (I very much appreciate your time and knowledge.)

Thanks
Marly

For cutting, quickest and cheapest way is use a jigsaw, just get a blade suited for cutting thin sheet, usually lots of tiny teeth. Just make sure you give it a really good deburring afterwards.
You can clamp a straight edge/wood/steel bar as your guide for the jigsaw to keep it straight.

As far as bending try making one of these... simple, cheap I am accumulatin the parts now to make my own.
http://www.goldpanningforums.com/downloads/diy/Light gauge sheet metal brake.pdf

marly said:
Hi Wal,

Thanks
Marly

I have mine bent at a metal workshop as the bankers i use are 1500 long. The bender in the above link would work well.... but would probably cost more to make than a couple of bends. Try asking a few of the local Air Con Duct suppliers, and they usually bend them quite cheaply for you. Best of luck,

Cheers Wal.

gday wal just wondering what gauge ally your using is it 1.6mm going to have a crack at copying it its a beauty thanks :cool:

b9fp.jpg

Hi Wal,
Love your hi-banker design and Im in the process of fabricating it. I had an idea regarding the importance of the legs and the ability to shake the unit from side to side to help with the settling of the gold.

What do you think about the framework that supports the legs having the right type of springs attached to the base of the unit and cross members that support the legs which would allow it to be shaken from side to side via some grab handles on the main part of the body?

This idea might be be totally overkill, it's an idea and I'm open to some feedback! :D

I have attached a crude image so that you can visualize what I'm talking about.

John

phil said:
gday wal just wondering what gauge ally your using is it 1.6mm going to have a crack at copying it its a beauty thanks :cool:

G'day Phil,

I use 1.6mm and the shell weighs 6.1kg including the Leg Support base.

If your running it for gold only, run the cutout crate from the end of the box,(Cut out shapes are critical) and expanded mesh at the head of the box, leaving at least 500mm skid plate for the water speed. If your not 100% sure send me a PM and i can talk you through it. It's very critical to get the proportions right for the areas you intend to prospect.

Cheers Wal, :)

Shimmy said:
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/5845/b9fp.jpg

Hi Wal,
Love your hi-banker design and Im in the process of fabricating it. I had an idea regarding the importance of the legs and the ability to shake the unit from side to side to help with the settling of the gold.

What do you think about the framework that supports the legs having the right type of springs attached to the base of the unit and cross members that support the legs which would allow it to be shaken from side to side via some grab handles on the main part of the body?

This idea might be be totally overkill, it's an idea and I'm open to some feedback! :D

I have attached a crude image so that you can visualize what I'm talking about.

John

G'day John,

The concept would be fantastic if you had a pump with a limited water supply. The Hi-banker would work more like a rocker box (Cradle) and would only be of benefit if you were using a low water flow pump. If you run a pump with around 200L/min you would only require an occasional rocking motion and for this a set of flexible legs only would suffice.

Cheers Wal, :)

Thanks Wal, I guess the idea was a bit of overkill and as many have suggested before, keep it simple!

Cheers

John

SuperPeter said:
Great diy, I'm looking at the milk crate riffles, I have a few different shapes and sizes, that ill have to trial and error. Hopefully I find a good 1 :)

Tried different combinations of milk crates and found the proportions too distant from the 4:1 ratio you need to clear the riffles. :| Be keen to see your results.

Cheers Wal.
, :)

Wal,

I finished my sluice today & hope to put it to the test next week out on the Turon

Thanks for you help with the build hardware. & info.

Pete

Best if luck with it mate and spend some time getting the angle and flow rate correct. The angle needs to be steep enough to keep the mat slightly showing. The flow speed should have about 20mm of water running over the riffles. There are no Gemstones on the Turon so the sloped mesh would be my choice.

Cheers Wal. :)

Latest posts