Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Wal

FIrst off thank you heaps for sharing all your knowledge on here :D

JuSt a quick question on the legs, what kind of angle outwards do you make them and angle forward and back?

G'day farmer,

Front legs are angled forward ( about 20 deg) and slightly away from the box. Back legs are angled backwards ( About 20 deg ) and again slightly away from the box.

Cheers Wal,

Learn't two new things about the "Walbanker" today-
1) If you get it on the right angle you can pack it into the back of a rodeo twin cab!
2) If you have to set it up on steep ground you can swap the front & back legs over to get the correct angle adjustment!

Cheers Brad.

gday wal just wondering whether zincalume would be okay to build highbanker with trying to do it on budget would it still be reasonable light thanks mate for any help :cool:

Hi Wal. Thanks for putting this up as it has been a real struggle to find any useful info on how to build my own sluice.
Heading to Bunnings first thing in the morning.
Cheers
Jon&Berri

WalnLiz said:
SuperPeter said:
Great diy, I'm looking at the milk crate riffles, I have a few different shapes and sizes, that ill have to trial and error. Hopefully I find a good 1 :)

Tried different combinations of milk crates and found the proportions too distant from the 4:1 ratio you need to clear the riffles. :| Be keen to see your results.

Cheers Wal.
, :)
Thanks for the help Wal
Ok I've made, what I call a creek sluice :/ it's all made from scrap so any gold on it is profit haha. This weekend is it first test run in the creek, it has a gal body I G clamped between 2 steel bars and bent to shape, some marine carpet at the front. Miners moss( $4 front door Mat cut to size) middle to end with expanded mesh ( old ironing board) and some diy steel riffles and milk crate riffle. Do u think it will hold anything :) any pointers will b great :) the fun for me is the diy build and walking in the quiet of the bush, gold is great top off for the day if u get some but :) happy hunting all :cool:
Ill try and post a pic , I just can't off the iPad yet :/

G'day Peter,

By the sounds of that arrangement, absolutely nothing is going to get past that lot. Be really keen to hear how you go with it....best of luck,

Cheers Wal. :)

phil said:
gday wal just wondering whether zincalume would be okay to build highbanker with trying to do it on budget would it still be reasonable light thanks mate for any help :cool:

Nothing wrong with the old zincalume mate, especially if it's the thin gauge like they use in aircon ducts. It will work every bit as well as aluminium....best of luck with it .

Cheers Wal. :)

Having trouble finding the catwalk stuff..

Have a catalogue of all the expanded mesh I can get which is a fair few different types.
The catwalk stuff looks like its vertical and not angled , is that correct?

Like to use mine for both gems and yellow stuff, but wasnt sure if its the vertical im after or if the angled stuff is the same or better?

Yours sincerely
Confused
:)

EDited : is the stuff you use the same as or just like a screen security door?

G'day Farmer,

Confused is not a good state of mind to be in mate. :eek: ...If your building a banker to catch both gold and gemstones, then i would recommend an interchangeable set of screens. Run a bread crate at the end of your sluice and a sloped expanded at the top section with at least a 50cm skid (slick) plate for the gold creeks.

If your in an area where there's also gemstones with the gold, swap the sloped expanded for vertical (Catwalk Mesh)...This needs to be rocked from side to side occasionally to gravity separate the heavies to the bottom (about every 10 shovels of gravel give it a couple of sideways rocks as you would do a rocker box.)

If you like you can send me a PM when i get back from Halls Creek in mid October, and i can run through it in more detail for you.

Cheers Wal, :)

farmeroz said:

Have a catalogue of all the expanded mesh I can get which is a fair few different types.

Like to use mine for both gems and yellow stuff, but wasnt sure if its the vertical im after or if the angled stuff is the same or better?

Yours sincerely
Confused

Hi farmeroz , Ulrich Aluminium has the mesh. If you speak to Humphrey in custom jobs section , they often have offcuts they will sell, rather than buy 6m of it. Its at Wetherill Park in Sydney .

They do have different size mesh, so get as low profile as possible. I had to grind 12 mm off 8.(

Cheers Paul
http://www.ullrich.com.au/

Thanks paul, there is an ulrich up here in newcastle ill check out. I can use milling machine at work so wont worry me too much bout having to take 12mm off if need be.

CHeers

headbut said:
farmeroz said:

Yours sincerely
Confused

Hi farmeroz , Ulrich Aluminium has the mesh. If you speak to Humphrey in custom jobs section , they often have offcuts they will sell, rather than buy 6m of it. Its at Wetherill Park in Sydney .

They do have different size mesh, so get as low profile as possible. I had to grind 12 mm off 8.(

Cheers Paul
http://www.ullrich.com.au/

What is the height that you guys aim for in the mesh ?

The moss + crate comes to 20 mm height don't they or does the mesh need to be higher ?

I am not building one , just curious what works for retention

Hey wal mate great video new to this and as a metal worker can't wait to start building just wandering about the pump set up you were using and what ideas you have for the pump

Thanks for sharing Wal.

I sourced some expanded mesh, but it is very thick.
Cannot imagine that the crate and the mesh will match in height.
Do they need to be the same height?

I found a broken one that had been dumped on a building site but I am told if you approach a bakery and ask if they "have a broken one they can sell to you" , you will probably find they give it for free.

Or if you have a tip top bakery near you just ask at the loading dock and they will try to give you 3 tonnes of them.

Just say its for your kids school project :D

Try your local tip. If they cracked they can't use them. Or ask your local bakery they might be able to give you one that is damaged.

HeadsUp said:
Or if you have a tip top bakery near you just ask at the loading dock and they will try to give you 3 tonnes of them.
choice, we have a big bakery in Fyshwick.
will give them a go, thanks.

Latest posts