Wally69's Nugget Hunting Practice. The By-Catch.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Darwin today, no detector, wishing I had it with me to have a swing on the many grass areas.

Went for a foreshore wonder while the kids headed for the pool and found some copper boat nails on some bedrock wash, then found some Quartz reefs that needed a good inspection as you just never know. :p

And then the fun started, I saw the edge of a 1943 Penny trapped by the reef :eek:

1436268284_image.jpg

Also found a Quartz specimen with clear mica in it so headed back to share the news and cool off as is was 32 deg today

It got the best of me, so had to take another look late this afternoon.

Found the source of the mica, an absolutely amazing Quartz blow with edges of glistening mica, it looked more like a silver dragons tail than a product of nature.
1436268330_image.jpg

A bit more specking and I had a bullet and another penny of unknown date and, would you believe as I was thinking about all the Chinese combing the land and wondering if they found this Quartz reef or if it had been uncovered by recent cyclone activity I spotted a sun-baking shape that I am familiar with. Hahahaha, anyone spotting me belly laughing in the mangroves must have thought I had lost the plot but a 1700's Chineese coin will do that to a bloke.

What I needed now was a silver coin, and with ten minutes of daylight left nothing was going to surprise me as this spot had already thrown more at me than thought possible. Not quite the silver I was hoping for but a 1970 50c put a trifecta in my pocket for the afternoon. :D

1436268371_image.jpg

1st photo Wally,... is that one of those old coin dispensers top right of picture ?
Wally69 said:
In Darwin today, no detector, wishing I had it with me to have a swing on the many grass areas.

Went for a foreshore wonder while the kids headed for the pool and found some copper boat nails on some bedrock wash, then found some Quartz reefs that needed a good inspection as you just never know. :p

And then the fun started, I saw the edge of a 1943 Penny trapped by the reef :eek:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1436268284_image.jpg

Also found a Quartz specimen with clear mica in it so headed back to share the news and cool off as is was 32 deg today

It got the best of me, so had to take another look late this afternoon.

Found the source of the mica, an absolutely amazing Quartz blow with edges of glistening mica, it looked more like a silver dragons tail than a product of nature.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1436268330_image.jpg
A bit more specking and I had a bullet and another penny of unknown date and, would you believe as I was thinking about all the Chinese
Combing the land and wondering if they found this Quartz reef or if it had been uncovered by recent cyclone activity I spotted a sun-baking shape that I am familiar with. Hahahaha, anyone spotting me belly laughing in the mangroves must have thought I had lost the plot but a 1700's Chineese coin will do that to a bloke.

What I needed now was a silver coin, and with ten minutes of daylight left nothing was going to surprise me as this spot had already thrown more at me than thought possible. Not quite the silver I was hoping for but a 1970 50c put a trifecta in my pocket for the afternoon. :D

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1436268371_image.jpg

Good spotting Silver, it looks like a petrified wallet, doesn't it. :lol:

The spot is covered with rusty lumps of iron from an old barge, if I had a detector with me my ears would probably have been blown off and i would probably have run in the opposite direction very quickly.

curiosity and eyes.....I think you are right Sandta, it is all the old timers needed.

Back from the NT, the past week has been spent without detector but I think the NT has shown plenty of opportunity for a return trip. There are plenty of Quartz reefs and I spotted numerous remote workings out of the window of the 4wd tour truck in my travels. I now have some relatives living up there and am keen to do a bit of research on how a prospecting trip up there could work.

I see you have all been putting up with some cold and snow in my absence, so I thought I would share a story of my last day. While swimming in waterfalls and waterholes to cool down from hiking in 32oC, I made two tourists very happy by recovering their lost earrings by free diving into the depths. Wish I had a waterproof detector or pinpointer, there must be heaps of lost jewellery and coins in these holes from people slapping the water after jumping from rocks. Also found my first NT gold, it caught the sun and glimmered back at me from about 8m down. :D On recovering the gold it was smooth, round and was stamped 1988 and worth about $2. :lol: :D :lol:

looks like good spot to be waving a small coil to pin point the goodies. cant believe a penny was revealed, that is unbelievable considering floating around for 60 years out there say and its still on surface level. random occurence but they still do happen.

And is that an old Chinese coin there as well,....full house 6d down +,.....+ envy(ha).
Well done Wally. :)

silver said:
And is that an old Chinese coin there as well,....full house 6d down +,.....+ envy(ha).
Well done Wally. :)

Almost, 4 pairs by date. :D I would have liked a '56 to make it a straight. :eek:

1437652536_image.jpg

The Chineese coin is dated pre 1750 but it is a knock-off, definitely machine stamped and too small. Could be part of a good luck charm. :rolleyes:

Very happy with this site, all the pennys were dated in the 40's with the exception of a 1917. Walked away with plently of targets still in the ground as well. :p

Latest posts